Power Socket Not Working

Stephen H

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any ideas where to start? Bought a BMW plug to usb adapter, nothing when trying to charge with it. I’m assuming it’s through the canbus system so no fuse to blow...

You have switched on the bike ignition haven't you? It will not work without. Also, there is a 10A output power limit.

Ignition and on, bike running as well. Trying to charge the iPhone which has only a small amp requirement (1.8 I think), still clueless!

Firstly, can you get to behind/under the socket? There is a simple clip that holds the cable on and it may have come disconnected.

The internal contacts easily corrode - have a look inside and - if necessary - wrap a piece of wet and dry around the end of a pencil and clean the surfaces up until you can see bright metal. Blow it out (!) and then try again. Use a dielectric grease to stop recurrence, if this is the problem.

If you have a cheap test meter it will help diagnose the problem also did you try the adaptor in another vehicle to ensure its working?

You have switched on the bike ignition haven't you? It will not work without. Also, there is a 10A output power limit.

Actually it is more like 5 amps. I have never seen an official spec but there is no way that it will deliver close to 10 amps.

In any event it will certainly power a USB charger.

I would first put a voltmeter on the accessory port to see if there is voltage there when the key is on. If there is then the next step would be to test the USB charger by powering it up with 12V from another source.

If there is no voltage on the accessory port I would look under the panel to make sure the harness is plugged in.

Mike O - thank you, you were spot on right with the cleaning up of the socket. Bit of sand paper, a blow out and it’s working. Thanks again all

Back
Top Bottom