Tank bag problem.

stolzy

Reaction score
So I got a nice KTM tank bag of somebody on here and all fine and dandy, except on full right lock it hits the 'Race on' button and the Race is very much off.

This can vary from mildly annoying to bloody dangerous depending on the context.

Wondered if there was a quick fix.

So I got a nice KTM tank bag of somebody on here and all fine and dandy, except on full right lock it hits the 'Race on' button and the Race is very much off.

This can vary from mildly annoying to bloody dangerous depending on the context.

Wondered if there was a quick fix.
Hacksaw ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Got any pictures of the offending bag in situ?
Bike just back from the first service. Here's the bars on almost full lock. At full lock the tank bag presses the button and the bike dies.

Attachments

• Tank_Bag.JPG
    Tank_Bag.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 186
Make sure you always go the right way, thus eliminating the need for full lock uturns :D

Bike just back from the first service. Here's the bars on almost full lock. At full lock the tank bag presses the button and the bike dies.

Can the front straps be loosened/then tightened a little to bring the bag back towards you, and then the straps nearest to you then tightened to secure?

If it is anything like the tank bag on my Ducati ( quite probable that its the same maker) there is some level of adjustment front to back on the tensioning/hold it on fasteners assuming that it is on a tank bag bra thing. The Bra thing obviously has to be centred around the fuel filler cap, Loosen off the fronts and tighten the rears ( i said stating the bleeding obvious)

I've tried adjusting the bag, but there isn't a position where it will clear the switch.

Dealer had no ideas either.

Considering getting some kind of guard fabricated.

Only obvious, if you know or think about it.

Passing on our helpful experiences is the purpose of the forum; I've got that bit right havn't I ?
If it is anything like the tank bag on my Ducati ( quite probable that its the same maker) there is some level of adjustment front to back on the tensioning/hold it on fasteners assuming that it is on a tank bag bra thing. The Bra thing obviously has to be centred around the fuel filler cap, Loosen off the fronts and tighten the rears ( i said stating the bleeding obvious)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Not that it helps you....
Pal had the same sort of issue with his FJR....a map case on top of tank bag in his case. He tipped over twice at virtually zero mph when it hit the kill switch, we wondered why he was dicking around so much, when he realised why his engine kept cutting out he was over the moon with happiness, as you can imagine...we thought it was quite funny:jes

I've tried adjusting the bag, but there isn't a position where it will clear the switch.

Dealer had no ideas either.

Considering getting some kind of guard fabricated.

Whatever your solution to this is john may i strongly recommend getting some help tape or venture shield on the tank as if it is on the bra harness i can expect it to rub the lacquer off ( dont ask me how i know this !

If it were me i would sack that type of tank bag and go for a SW Motech bags connection type as they sit away from the paint and are much easier to use.

This would be my personal solution but the Ducati does not have the correct sort of fuel filler cap so I cant

Whatever your solution to this is john may i strongly recommend getting some help tape or venture shield on the tank as if it is on the bra harness i can expect it to rub the lacquer off ( dont ask me how i know this !

If it were me i would sack that type of tank bag and go for a SW Motech bags connection type as they sit away from the paint and are much easier to use.

This would be my personal solution but the Ducati does not have the correct sort of fuel filler cap so I cant

I have the SW Motech engage tank bag and it's superb; just need to get another tank ring as the one off my GS isn't compatible :D

Have you got bar risers, Stolzy? I had a KTM tank bag, but as I’ve got bar risers, it kept fouling the switches, so I ditched it and now use a Kreiga tank harness with a US5, 10 or 20.

Have you got bar risers, Stolzy? I had a KTM tank bag, but as I’ve got bar risers, it kept fouling the switches, so I ditched it and now use a Kreiga tank harness with a US5, 10 or 20.
No bar risers, bars and tank bag are stock KTM items.

:robI don’t have a problem with my Enduristan tank bag :D

Never mind that though, somewhere at home I’ve got the harness for Kriega bags that makes them useable as a tankbag, I’ve lost the bits you stick to the tank for Velcro but if (it’s big if) I can find it then a realistic donation to MacMillan cancer care would score you it.

I don’t specify what’s realistic, you judge that for yourself and I rely on you paying it rather then me doing it for you but if you want it let me know and I’ll find it next time I escape from Shutter Island where I’m currently working.

*Might* be worth reversing the handlebar mounts. That puts the bars slightly forward and *might* clear the bag.

Back
Top Bottom