MicroSD Card

mickellard

Reaction score
First off I apologise if this subject has already been covered (which i don't doubt it has as i cant be the only technophobe out there).

My Nav V memory is getting full and i need a memory card. I am a trifle confused having look around at the formatting, I know the FAT32 is required but am troubled twixt FAT32 and exFAT having read that most cards come in exFat and will need formatting (i think!?) and having conversed with a teenager fresh out of nappies in Currys (other high street electrical retailers are available) he knew nothing of which i spoke, am none the wiser.
Then there's the microSDHC / microSDXC UHS thrown in for got measure.

Could anyone give me the heads up as to the link below? would it just slot in?? I know its only a tenner but want the correct one.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-32gb-ultra-micro-sd-card-sdhc-adapter-80mb-s.html

Thanks in advance

Baffled from Kent!!

Your Nav V’s internal memory (probably 8gb, if it came pre-loaded with the European maps) is getting full with what?

Fat 32 - Which it will probably be, straight out of the packet

Decent quality, say a Sandisk, not some fake off eBay

Micro SD, it doesn’t need to be anything flash or super fast

If you just want to put maps on it, it doesn’t need to be huge. Say 8 gb

It just slots straight in. Lots of video clips and explanations on the slotting-in process out there

First off I apologise if this subject has already been covered (which i don't doubt it has as i cant be the only technophobe out there).

My Nav V memory is getting full and i need a memory card. I am a trifle confused having look around at the formatting, I know the FAT32 is required but am troubled twixt FAT32 and exFAT having read that most cards come in exFat and will need formatting (i think!?) and having conversed with a teenager fresh out of nappies in Currys (other high street electrical retailers are available) he knew nothing of which i spoke, am none the wiser.
Then there's the microSDHC / microSDXC UHS thrown in for got measure.

Could anyone give me the heads up as to the link below? would it just slot in?? I know its only a tenner but want the correct one.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-32gb-ultra-micro-sd-card-sdhc-adapter-80mb-s.html

Thanks in advance

Baffled from Kent!!

That SD card that you linked to will work fine. Just a case of slotting it into the Nav 5 behind the battery and away you go. FAT32 allows capacity up to 32Gb and the Nav 5 allows for cards up to 64Gb so I'd imagine it can cope with cards that come formatted in exFAT.

Thanks for the advice, I’ve just bought a ScanDisk microSDHC (still unsure of compatibility!)
I only have maps, routes downloaded from BadeCamp etc and want to expand the memory, SatNav - not mine, for future downloads.
Fingers crossed it’s the correct one..

That is exactly what the Sdcard does, it acts as an overflow for the Nav5 or 6 so when NAV5 or 6 is full it just continues to put the rest of the map on the sdcard.

Here are the FAQs re the Nav V from the Mothership FYI. Seems to cover your questions ........

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/...avigation2014/faq/faq_overview.html&notrack=1

As Wapping said, you will see you need to format the card FAT 32. You can use your PC card slot, or insert the card in your Nav V, plug in via a USB & format from there. Sandisk have a walk-through of the whole procedure; doubtless other card manufacturers have something similar on-line.....

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/...memory-card,-flash-drive-or-device-using-a-pc

For what it’s worth, routes take up almost no memory space, a few hundred kilobits at most. There is no great advantage gained saving them to the SD card.

1 gb = 1,000,000 kb

Most definitely!
Like I say, as a technophobe I have now idea how shit works.
SatNav says memory almost full - upgrade memory - I sleep soundly.

Most definitely!
Like I say, as a technophobe I have now idea how shit works.
SatNav says memory almost full - upgrade memory - I sleep soundly.

Back
Top Bottom