GSA Rallye TE - Insurance Problems! HELP

Tris

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just ordered a 2018 GSA Rallye TE which I'm due to pickup tomorrow - woohoo.

The problem is trying to find insurance, none of the insurers list the specific model - they list the GSA TE, just not the GSA Rallye TE.

I've entered my details into about 15 insurance websites now... none have this option.

Having spoken to an insurance person from Hastings on the phone, she suggested asking on the forums to find out what other owners have done. She says if the TE is not the exact model, then the insurance could be invalidated which seems legitimate.

Any help appreciated!! Thanks

I can't believe there would be a separate classification for the Rallye over the standard GSA TE. On all of these websites did you notice if the GS Rallye TE was listed separately to the GS TE?

Hey everyone, just ordered a 2018 GSA Rallye TE which I'm due to pickup tomorrow - woohoo.

The problem is trying to find insurance, none of the insurers list the specific model - they list the GSA TE, just not the GSA Rallye TE.

I've entered my details into about 15 insurance websites now... none have this option.

Having spoken to an insurance person from Hastings on the phone, she suggested asking on the forums to find out what other owners have done. She says if the TE is not the exact model, then the insurance could be invalidated which seems legitimate.

Any help appreciated!! Thanks

Im with Hastings with a GSA Rallye TE

Had the same issue with Hastings! MCN Compare doesn't list it either so I went with BMW insurance (Devitt) in the end.
Great bike btw I love mine.

Hi - it seems not, here is a list from one of the sites:

https://imgur.com/a/5nOdkVc

Also epic fail side question - when I registered the forum seems to have used my email as my username, can I change my username?

Had the same issue with Hastings! MCN Compare doesn't list it either so I went with BMW insurance (Devitt) in the end.
Great bike btw I love mine.

I spoke to Devitt - my CBR is currently with them but they would not be able to add the GSA to the policy, they said they needed to do a new quote - came back at £2700 - err no :)

Hi - it seems not, here is a list from one of the sites:

Since that image does show the GS Rallye as a separate bike I'd expect to see the same for the GSA Rallye. Give the cheapest provider another call and ask to speak to someone that knows what they are on about or compare the BMW policy if you want full piece of mind. Kind of daft to have to go with the BMW policy if it's more expensive since they are just a broker like the rest of them. :nenau

Since that image does show the GS Rallye as a separate bike I'd expect to see the same for the GSA Rallye. Give the cheapest provider another call and ask to speak to someone that knows what they are on about or compare the BMW policy if you want full piece of mind. Kind of daft to have to go with the BMW policy if it's more expensive since they are just a broker like the rest of them. :nenau

Many thanks - yeah I will do that. Just completed BMW online quote - £2500 :(

I had this problem.
I was with BMW (Devitts), they wanted over £800 to insure a new GSA Rallye TE with them, the renewal quote for my previous 2014 GSA TE was about £250 with them.
Best quote I got was with Bennetts, they quoted around £200 for a GSA TE, phoned them up and told them my bike was actually a GSA Rallye TE and the underwriters (Aviva) wouldn't quote as it wasn't listed by the MIB(?). Bennetts could get a quote from another underwriter but it pushed the quote over £400. Oddly, I went for a quote directly from Aviva, I explained about the name, and they gave me a quote, but nearly double what it would have been with them underwriting a Bennetts Policy.
I had the same with nearly all the insurers/brokers I tried.
In the end I went with IAM Surety (Cornmarket) for a little over £200.

My previous 2014 GSA TE was listed as a "R1200 GS Adventure" on the V5 document, but for my Rallye GSA TE it is listed as a "R1200 GS Adeventure Rallye TE" so it is quite important to make sure the insurer as it down as the correct vehicle.

It is a real PIA there is no difference between the GSA TE and GSA Rallye TE other than the colour!

Thanks for all the replies.

I think I spent about 4/5 hours on the internet/phone today, 1 whole hour of which was a single call to Carole Nash.
I believe Carole Nash are one of main/most well known bike insurers. I spoke to a guy who said they (he spoke to colleagues/supervisor/other people there) could not find the bike listed anywhere. He said the only option would be to put it through as a custom bike but the quote for that was £4K.

Having reached the end of my tether, I rang BMW Chester to ask what I should do ( I forgot to point out that the BMW quote above was actually for a GSA TE - even BMW insurance don't list the GSA Rallye TE).

They said I should just insure it as the GSA TE, 'the Rallye is just a colour'.

Therefore I decided to just go with Hastings insured as a 'GSA TE. I'm intrigued to find out what the V5 says @trebor :)

My GS rallye sport is insured with Hastings direct ! It’s even got the Bike model written in the insurance policy. ,

if you check out the BMW site - you will see that the GS Rallye, GS Rallye Sport and GS TE have different specifications - Seat/Rack/Screen/Stand/ Suspension etc - all three models offer different things..

Now look at the GSA Rallye TE - It's the same as a GSA TE apart from colour..... so I would suggest your BMW dealer is correct tell em it's a GSA TE in Blue/White.

Back
Top Bottom