• Cajasahel

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Jesse metal boxes

Votes: 19 3.4%
  • Other

Votes: 72 12.9%

• Total voters

Larry

Thought it was about time I posted a poll so here goes. What panniers do you use? I'm a system man myself but keep thinking about some expensive metal jobbies (not that I need them, just quite fancy myself as a wannabe world traveller as I whack car mirrors in London). Not fussed about the merits of each, that's been done at length elsewhere on here. Vote now!

Use the BMW expandable ones on the GS.

Don't truly need them but they are very useful at times and will take the helmet no problem.

Hepco and becker metal expedition panniers - only £306 the pair -

45Ltr one side and 37 Ltr the other - you can pick and mix the sizes - they're not in your poll

They'll be under 'other' then! Very nice looking though. Kind of a retro spam tin style. :D

By the way, the new pads have bedded in nicely and are doing a lovely job of stopping me.

Vernatech Worldbeaters with max top lids....a bitch to get your leg over (and I'm six four :eek: ) on an incline but I could fit an F650 in each one and still have room to rollerskate :D

Actually, no idea of actual capacity, I'd guess between 55 and 60 litres with about 3 off the cut out side.

I can't be arsed to fill them with poly beads to find out ;)

Harder than car door skins- DAMHIK :D and a great aid to offroading as they keep the beasty up at a good angle for lifting.....and they act as great flotation devices for deep river crossings :D

TUNED IN said:
fill them with water bill then drill a hole in the bottom after you've counted the litres :D

Howzabout we fill them with Guinness and do the same thing but lying under them??

I'll give you a head start...you can have the cut-out side ;)

I've used
bmw plastic ones
Plastic 'jerry cans' as used by the army to carry water
Plastic 'Pelican' cases

I'd like the plastic 'Pelican' ones - but in a top loading design ... they'd be my vote for best.

I use the BMW plastic ones which are ok for my purposes, but they are awkward to use without inner bags ... wish they were toploaders really. Plus, the plastic lugs don't look like they'd take much punishment in a fall so are useless for 'overlanding', whatever that is.

I use or have used...

I started with standard BMW plastic jobs, and for retroman, no they don't appear to take much punishment, I span my bike thru 180 degrees and ripped the whole unit, including support bar off.

Have tried the Jesse cases on my 1150R, they were great, but I sold them before I got a GS, now use BMW ally GSA panniers. Which IMHO are a nice set of panniers

Givi.
Just come back from France today. Totally waterproof, unfortunately! Could have done without finding that out.
Appear to be substantial, as when I pulled out from parking on the pavement in Caen, ( common thing to do apparently} I forgot the panniers and hit a post, only just caught the bike as it started to topple. Right testicle not thrilled with close aquaintance with petrol tank though!!!! Only went with the top box loaded, and a couple of locks in the panniers, but the idea was to be able to lock away the leathers and have casual clothes to wear. I would recommend this to anyone, being stuck in hot leathers aint no fun. My mate only had a tank bag so I was the load bearer.
If I had been using the aluminium panniers (too dear for me) I would probably have come off, as the Givis are chamfered on the leading edge, & I bounced off as opposed to grinding to an abrupt halt.

Not fussed about the merits of each, that's been done at length elsewhere on here ;)
Think we all must of missed that bit! :D
My vote goes to the bmw ally boxes. They do the job, they are solid and they make great bedside tables. :)

Vern's get my vote... and they're an inch narrower than the BWM system cases :thumb

blackbox.jpg

I am using the system cases, but what I would like are a set of ally top loading cases that are as easy to remove as the system ones. Ally cases make great camping stools but it is a PIA un bolting them to take them of the bike.

Keith Chapman said:
I am using the system cases, but what I would like are a set of ally top loading cases that are as easy to remove as the system ones. Ally cases make great camping stools but it is a PIA un bolting them to take them of the bike.

Have a look at Metal Mule .

Iain

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try Jesse's if you want to attach or detach quickly. They also make good camping stools or even tables. At the current exchange rate probably £700 delivered from Kiwi Bob !

Hi Keeeef, long time no see.

Adv panniers are fitted / removed in a matter of seconds.

I can't get my bike in / out of the garage with the panniers fitted so I have to fit / remove them everyday. At 0530AM I would be a bit peeved if this was at all fiddly or time consuming but it isn't and i'm not.

Back
Top Bottom