Get The Sandwiches Ready - GSA Rear Wheel Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
No idea, only that BMW say replace them. Would have thought it's a stretch consideration.

I know Honda do the same thing on some of their bikes too.

I think because micro encapsulated screws should be used only one time!
I don't think 24Nm could stretch the bolt of this size and for sure if you thinking to use them again threads should be cleaned properly and correct thread-lock applied
Question is should we risk brake failure for only £4?

Sent using my nokia 3210PRO ...shock absorber rebuilder...

I am surprised the calliper wasn’t torn from the brake hose if it went into the wheel.

I agree. I still reckon it could be spoke failure, accepting it is rare on the GS. I think they got past rear hubs being over-torqued by 2017.

We see it on Super10s occasionally, usually pothole damage that creates a few loose spokes, which stresses up others until one breaks. Then, if the broken spoke isn't ziptied to it's mate, disaster strikes. Sometimes just one will wreak damage to the swing arm & surroundings, sometimes progressive wheel collapse ensures. Always worth pinging the spokes regularly, whenever cleaning the bike.

As others have said, the caliper bolt replacement regime seems like a red herring to me. We have two substantial bolts tightened at low torque into an alloy caliper. I would be more worried about the risk of over torquing the bolts & wrecking the caliper threads than I would bolt stretch. Surely this is BMW workshop speak - low torque means clean bolts with plenty of thread lock, so they don't want to waste tech time cleaning up old bolts when it's quicker to discard. Probably better to drill & lock-wire them if you are concerned.

This. Working on a critical safety part will have a risk assessment and safe system of work.

Replacing bolts with new, manufactured to spec with pre installed thread lock will remove the risk of poor cleaning and reapplication on used bolts. Cost will outweigh the costs avoided.

Peanut butter, cheese and onion on white bread for me pls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ohh fook!!!! you sure you want to do that?

My old boss smeared copper grease on his wheel bolts after changing brakes all round in his van. 5 weeks later nearside front wheel came off and rear nearside wobbled like fook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cleaned it off after some oik had plstered it all over the threads.

Could it be something to do with the Fine threads BMW use, this is why they say change them............:nenau:nenau:nenau

Fine thread bolts can be employed in industrial applications

The only situation when fine thread bolts are preferable to coarse is in applications that require a larger tensile stress area. Other potential circumstances when using fine thread bolts makes sense include:

The fastener will be constantly exposed to vibration
You need fine and very precise adjustments
The application requires less tapping torque

I suspect that is because of the locking compound that's on them from new, rather than a physical change to the steel? If they were stretch bolts I get why you would replace.

I'm happy that they were spotlessly clean and loctited in.

Which Loctite did you use, I would use 221 for this sort of job?

My last 1200 twin cam had a recall to check the rear wheel drive flange. They had a few fail due to them cracking where the wheel bolts go through.

Same happened to an old work colleague's twin cam GSA a few years back (around 2011 from memory). The bike was low mileage at the time and bought new from BMW. As the story goes, it had also just been serviced by BMW only a couple of days before his accident. Like the OP pictures, the rear wheel was destroyed and the cause was due the rear caliper detachment. The rear end of the bike was re-built under warranty, however, due to a number of ongoing issues he had with the bike (corrosion etc) he lost faith in BMW and traded it in for a new FJR1300.

Now i have a dilemma :D

just checked my bolts - In and therfore tight, Rear end was rebuilt 9 months ago ... :)

However, the brake fluid is just about on the lower level in the reservoir....

pads must be comming up to the lower limit ...

Hmm do i risk the wrath of the Replace/ Loctite / Torque /Lockwire / Stake / Circlip gods,

and just fit new pads / refit the bolts and re torque,

or do i pre book the investigation team just in case they want to do some live analysis?

just checked my bolts - In and therfore tight, Rear end was rebuilt 9 months ago ... :)

Hmm do i risk the wrath of the Replace/ Loctite / Torque /Lockwire / Stake / Circlip gods,

or do i pre book the investigation team just in case they want to do some live analysis?

Butter.........:green gri

From memory you don't need to remove the caliper to fit new pads.

Take mine off every year for a clean up, put the bolts in my cordless drill and clean with scotchbrite, same with pins, re install bolts with loctite, no issues on many bmws, might get some new bolts for next time as it will be 5th time,

Just imagining but cannot be sure depending who if anyone had taken the brake caliper off, and then over tightened the bolts without applying loctite, would that not weaken the thread on these fine coarse threads, and given the knobblies on the bike, a bit more road vibration, and they could have shook loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom