Get The Sandwiches Ready - GSA Rear Wheel Collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just reading the last few posts on this thread and a thought occurred to me (unusual I know).

I need to get hold of some of that yellow paint thats dabbed all over the bolts on a new bike, so its easier to keep an eye on any (calliper) bolts moving/ coming lose.

Anyone know the best place to get it from please?

Cromwell Tools

Just reading the last few posts on this thread and a thought occurred to me (unusual I know).

I need to get hold of some of that yellow paint thats dabbed all over the bolts on a new bike, so its easier to keep an eye on any (calliper) bolts moving/ coming lose.

Anyone know the best place to get it from please?

Won’t help if the bolts have loosened 360deg:hide

Not read every post in this thread, so forgive me if it has already been discussed.

This could be down to heat transfer softening the mounting bolt Locktite. A binding brake, or inadvertently trailing the rear brake for an extended period could cause this. There has been recent discussions on this forum, where one member adjusted the lever travel which caused this to happen. And another on the Adventure Rider forum, where the rear disc turned blue with the heat.

I think marking the across bolt and mounting flange is a wise idea.

Not read every post in this thread, so forgive me if it has already been discussed.

This could be down to heat transfer softening the mounting bolt Locktite. A binding brake, or inadvertently trailing the rear brake for an extended period could cause this. There has been recent discussions on this forum, where one member adjusted the lever travel which caused this to happen. And another on the Adventure Rider forum, where the rear disc turned blue with the heat.

I think marking the across bolt and mounting flange is a wise idea.

He changed the brake pads right before it happened....

Interesting read from Jim Von Baden

Directly from the manual:

Tightening torques 0460 - R 1200 GS
34 - Brakes
Value
Valid
34 11 - Front brake

Brake disc to front wheel
Flat-head screw for rivet package, M8 x 27 - 10.9, Replace screw
Thread-locking compound (Micro-encapsulated)
tighten by stages in diagonally opposite sequence
19 Nm
Brake caliper to slider tube
M8 - 10.9
30 Nm
Brake caliper, front, bleed screw
10 Nm
Grubscrew, brake pads
6 Nm
Bleed screw on handbrake fitting
M5
5 Nm
34 21 - Rear brake

Brake caliper to bevel gears
M8 x 25
24 Nm
Brake caliper, rear, bleed screw
5 Nm
Brake disc to wheel carrier
M8 x 15.5, Replace screw
Thread-locking compound (Micro-encapsulated)
tighten by stages in diagonally opposite sequence
1st tightening torque, 12 Nm
2nd tightening torque, 30 Nm

Clearly there is no thread locking compound on the caliper to forks.

Little easier to read version

At2qCnqcJYca5OxupFyf2b8NJK_9uu6iXp12A3SAGJTzc9t3n_2v783S7vO7bhswab2rJb07WUZir_019LHTKsvVyY7iBObLJh4r5ZJTBNNMgZ7u71x4_-bqmNh2jSHX2JHTkHzawBwyIHmwyFuDX51IuZLZcGAF38EW-inVcgmkNOGVxmhw3d_MZ9wkRVxUNA1R9ckA8FSmc1uO6Ab4ufGbDvX-e6zmc4n411BrOhGJmxj_SncFb1Ic3rMr4z6Li3455wXqZUIDHDnmk2ZTFPeuouFt6Me8PX3-DqtkCSQCnqpfXqenHalA4FbfHk9cv4RuS8eiOByctfB_ATQdDf1aBBCeb6tknegrExtGmj6D05znSdunqVC0ma3FvGq5O3sVzEZFehSU_xppscIjZ86nF2_EBHrUSdtNcnoCyyWTCwqm0k4KWf2b_rmM4KmCrGMJpRW4Cv5LGfhSRVvqANbW6Vx6G8Iq1oS-lY-BJEuFcuFUcuzY54jAnwjeTS7gjwJXGNLBw5-wvST-OX2mqUKXuNabEXMUhXJQWOOrZOzUkr0kpuch21xnVCaEsrGGYfmDuGmNfL3Q4OoRY2CBSHrfEu96En3jwDofsljz=w1740-h616-no

jrlzjaxtzASi4-5fHFxNnmbj01dBAg8JEC2yerOWV8EGvtL4NOVoAW-lYSBOhHin2H_CUf4tyn5f18rEB0bVjwR-MjhjhC8IIqwsUGQen5MN3MYiLNServDkwiBx4MG6FYR5I57--4gOG3X_03jC78uxUjBc5ZojRx6HccGjoMVyX7JuOJd-KipSBZ_-A19Ortekkc9H8S68u9Cofo2F8p1NHAlPnqtj0KRUOkprp6RlJFXk3J8gOvxIjxm5_KJ0PkvEvtPs7YHG9qdxnexfXyLJfHDJogy8fymKOWVaa36hcAXI017j6PP5ZeBdrcvTNaClByF0yA6J19RA_nuhcYN22p5r7lUb6LOy1f5rnAUUtSJ6Efpd0Vg8n8jt2rSaSFgNxSRBtvG7zKlKE4nn5_dPGrB5bPxzYEA8VJVxFQBrlpyxKZfApJGPV73jWQbA_u4jYet2EmozvkEElNkWCD5SLUGzHMREUddQqbGRpBOCa9W1vK5FJpirq3fQB5oYQoHV67J7aqJGSX_PXzhAfFznfkxKloUYRV9L8Rn9TA3-7DSNRFjhODNGxDyHYh8fHJxD_xts1PhASJmR65yNC_oeRSnv9fNGz7e6iIMH=w1742-h604-no

So simple cheers for the pictures Fred.......:beerjug:

Front same bolts no threadlock torque 38 Nm

Rear replace bolts and add threadlock if not already on new bolts. torque 24Nm

He changed the brake pads right before it happened....

And that stops you inadvertently resting your boot on the brake pedal, allowing heat transfer? This could have been days, or even weeks before....
I remember speaking with a Locktite rep years ago. He said it does not take much heat to soften medium strength blue Locktite. Not even enough to blister normal paint.

So simple cheers for the pictures Fred.......:beerjug:

Front same bolts no threadlock torque 38 Nm

Rear replace bolts and add threadlock if not already on new bolts. torque 24Nm

No worries :) Yes, very simple.

I can't believe some people in here are taking the bolts off just to check them....and REUSE the same bolts after they were told they are one use only HAHAHA

And that stops you inadvertently resting your boot on the brake pedal, allowing heat transfer? This could have been days, or even weeks before....
I remember speaking with a Locktite rep years ago. He said it does not take much heat to soften medium strength blue Locktite. Not even enough to blister normal paint.

Not sure I get your point.

His caliper came off but right before the ride he serviced it by changing the pads, he claims he didn't remove the caliper which is attached by one use bolts. I don't imagine calipers just fall off that easy without some reason

Not sure I get your point.

His caliper came off but right before the ride he serviced it by changing the pads, he claims he didn't remove the caliper which is attached by one use bolts. I don't imagine calipers just fall off that easy without some reason

Unless the cast caliper mount fractures which it appears to have done in the photo

Unless the cast caliper mount fractures which it appears to have done in the photo

And this seems to me as the weak point in the rear caliper, them brake calipers are not light at all, so imagine if they had a bad batch of alloy for that part, it can happen they are mass produced and not tested one by one.

Yeah RIGHT AFTER HE WORKED ON THE CALIPER.

Don't bother responding...had enough of you already so last response you will see from me

The chap claims he didn't remove the caliper, the photo appears to show the carrier fractured, you have no evidence the bolts come loose, it is your theory, which you are entitled to as I am with mine, Don't tell me not to respond on an open forum, however I am pleased you now wont responded to me :D

The chap claims he didn't remove the caliper, the photo appears to show the carrier fractured, you have no evidence the bolts come loose, it is your theory, which you are entitled to as I am with mine, Don't tell me not to respond on an open forum, however I am pleased you now wont responded to me :D

It would be interesting to know a bit more about the fractured carrier, did the other bikes where this happened also have a fractured carrier..........

It would be interesting to know a bit more about the fractured carrier, did the other bikes where this happened also have a fractured carrier..........

It would be nice to know a bit more, maybe further information will follow, nobody can be sure what the problem was yet, the truth will out in time!

I rode all the way from Tempsford to Stroud on Saturday and back again on Sunday - my rear brake caliper didn't fall off.

How often should I check the fixing before BMW do a recall to lock-wire all the bolts and/or replace the castings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom