Controversial subject no. 74 - Quiet crash helmet recommendations

deksawyer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at replacing my crash helmet in a few weeks, Currently Shoei GT-Air and Neotech 2 are top of my list. Not too fussed about flip front, but if it makes it quieter, then that's good. Musty have an integral sun visor though

Discounting Schuberth for now as I tried one on a few years ago and it was a claustrophobic experience.

Any others? What have you found to be quieter than others?

Please, no "every bike/helmet/ears/head shape etc is unique, so what works for A might not work for B" - I am fully aware of this, would just like recommendations of what works for you, so I can research further.

Thanks for your advice.

D.

The bmw carbon or agv for flip fronts.
Looking at replacing my crash helmet in a few weeks, Currently Shoei GT-Air and Neotech 2 are top of my list. Not too fussed about flip front, but if it makes it quieter, then that's good. Musty have an integral sun visor though

Discounting Schuberth for now as I tried one on a few years ago and it was a claustrophobic experience.

Any others? What have you found to be quieter than others?

Please, no "every bike/helmet/ears/head shape etc is unique, so what works for A might not work for B" - I am fully aware of this, would just like recommendations of what works for you, so I can research further.

Thanks for your advice.

D.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

FWIW and IMO

The noise depends on fit

I had a GT Air which was rated as very quiet. Not on me it wasn't

I had a TourX4 rated as bloody noisy, not on me it wasn't, in fact it was the quietest helmet i have ever owned because it was a fantastic fit.
My current Arai chaser is pretty good as its almost the same fit as the Tour.

Such a shame that the only way to find out is buy it and try it and then it can be too late.

A wind tunnel in helmet dealers is needed or demo helmets.

I am still waiting for Bell to bring the custom made from a scan thing to UK then i will be truly happy i hope

Sad to say you are discounting Schuberth, probably the quietest helmets on the market in my experience, accepting that the tight fitting neck can make them feel a tad claustrophobic. I was thinking the C3 pro. The latest BMW system helmet (7?) is said to be quiet too & no longer a Schuberth clone, but it just doesn't fit my noggin.

Personally I have always disliked the idea of a flip front, although they are a huge bonus for spec wearers. I'm using a Shoei NXR & foam ear plugs currently - will probably go with a GT Air next time. The only issue with the inner sun visors is their impact on Snell ratings - apparently there is a reduction in protection around the temples area due to the mechanism which drops them a star...........if that is important to you.

I wear two, one is a Shoei Multitec Flip and it's far more noisy than my Arai Quantum full face

My point was that flips are noisier in my experience regardless of their name:rob

Schuberth C3 Pro, quiet, not quiet enough not to use ear plugs, too quiet if you do.
NEXX XD1, not quiet, but not noisy.
HJC IS MAX II, quiet, probably not as quiet as the C3 pro.

There was the Star and the Tourstar. They also did one bit like simpson star wars one too, never had that one.

Were quality helmets before arai and the like became mainstream
Ah yes Bell had one in the 80,s think it was called a Star or something like that it was white and in bad shape.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom