I phone 7+ as a satnav.

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m just about to take delivery of a 2016rt le. It’s got a Sat Nav mount for the bmw system satnav. I was scrolling trough here and see a garmin zumo 660 fits to the mount without connecting to the scroll wheel thing. Is there a bracket available that would allow some way of getting my iPhone 7+ there instead. The phone is waterproof and I’ve used it on my gsa with no problems. Thanks. JJH

I used a mates iPhone 6 Plus in Spain last year, fitted in my RAM Mount ‘X’ phone mount a treat. The later iPhones are much better protected from water/dust ingress with an IP68 rating.

This is the dedicated 6+/7+ RAM mount - I use the standard size mount and am very happy with it

The issue I have is with the Lightning power cable getting corrosion on the + power pin (both MiFi and non OEM)

Attachments

• 49F33BF6-1785-4027-9911-4A81252A0428.jpeg
    49F33BF6-1785-4027-9911-4A81252A0428.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 320
Re power connection. Is this one of those phones that can do wireless charging? Would wireless charging allow you to put the charging pad under the phone on a similar mount and make the pad and power cabe connection waterproof.

Re power connection. Is this one of those phones that can do wireless charging? Would wireless charging allow you to put the charging pad under the phone on a similar mount and make the pad and power cabe connection waterproof.

Intrinsically no. There are however converters that connect a wireless charging pad to the lightning port. The charging pad would have to fit inside a suitable bikemount and it is unclear if wireless charging can keep up with the power demands of GPS and the Navigation app itself. The RAM mount illustrated would not work but an X mount might

Seems like a lot of bother to charge the phone. All you have to do is plug a lightning cable in to the phone. I was hoping to use my iPhone 7+on the mount whare the nav 5 is sabosed to go but it’s too big. I’ll hold off for a few weeks as I have a lot of family commitments coming up. 21st birthday engagements and a wedding. A Sat Nav is way down the list. She hasn’t found out about the bike yet. I hope. JJH

I get the picture now Jjh. So the phone would need an adapter plugged in to get wireless charging and I suspect that connection would be the weak point for water to get in phone.

In the past (before I bought a Nav V) I used the TomTom app on my iPhone with much success.

However, I found that the phone did need to be connected to power to keep the battery topped up. A problem occurred when I was on a longer journey in that whilst the journey started off with the phone charging and everything working well, after a couple of hours I noticed that the battery on the phone was showing less and less power reserve left - this despite it apparently being connected to the BMW power outlet. I tried several different leads but the problem persisted. At times the phone died before the end of the journey - most irritating.

I never did find the solution and mention it here merely so that others can be aware of a potential issue

I use a quadlock case with the motorcycle handle bar mount and it’s very good but.... as for the iPhone which is advertised as waterproof 1 wet trip up the M40 saw it conk out. It being new I thought no worries it’s covered under warranty but it turns it’s not even though they have ads showing cyclists braving the rain. Apple only cover water damage if you take out their apple care otherwise it’s a shrug and £456 bill to replace the phone in my case.

I now use a cover on the phone quadlock sells those too.

Tigra actually has an armored case with integrated wireless charging that will work. See: https://goo.gl/images/7DKxNS

I use the Tigra case on the 800GSA. Works great, waterproof etc, allow operation with gloves on.

b0714f402e1e1aac0629f26134e3a650.jpg

Back
Top Bottom