Running rough... Help and suggestions gratefully received

Wizards-Online

Going Overground
Reaction score
Since a run out on Saturday which included a section of 'hard acceleration', my 2003 R1150GSA (50K) is not quite right. When running with open throttle all is good and it accelerates as expected, but as soon as you come off the throttle it sounds like it's like it's running on one cylinder, but not quite (I'm sure one of these things running on one pot would result in immediate panic and darting for the next layby). It idles OKAY, though if a little rough, but this may be down to the Y-Piece and Remus pipe.

I've had a hunt around the interweb which pointed me towards the Coil Packs, but I've just tried the test of unplugging each in turn while the engine is running and both side have a significant impact on the running - the right hand side caused it to die, while the left hand side would have done the same if I hadn't stuffed it back in quickly - from that I take it both are working as expected - Is this a correct assumption????

It also seems to be using a little more oil than normal - though again, I've only had it for about 4,000 miles so still not 100% used to "its little ways".
w
I've ordered all the bits to give it a service (4 x plugs, filters etc) which I'll get done in a couple of weekends time, but if this may help I'll do it ASAP.

Any ideas what this could be - I've not had chance to get up-close and personal with another R1150GS owner to compare notes which would help me determine what is 'normal' or not.

Many thanks.

TC

Where in Norfolk are you? I'm in Dereham and will be in on Thurs & Fri.

Before that, though, have you by any chance taken the tank off or lifted it? The symptoms you describe match the infamous unseated throttle cable problem - best described by a picture or two:

i-ZFgzWtv-L.jpg

BAD

i-fzmP42v-L.jpg

GOOD

Mike :thumb2

Hi Mike. Funny enough in in Dereham too. What are the chances

I've not had the tank off for a couple of months l and it's been running fine since I have, just seems to have come on in time last couple of days.

If it is possible to stop by for a chat that would be great, I'm normally back from work by 17:00. Send me a PM.

Many thanks

T

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Suspect Coil stick failure

Try to avoid topping to the full mark EVERY time you dip it and it needs a wee drop

Let the level fall as it uses oil and "monitor" the level, You may well find that it will "stop" burning oil around the 1/3 to 1/2 full mark

Suspect Coil stick failure

Try to avoid topping to the full mark EVERY time you dip it and it needs a wee drop

Let the level fall as it uses oil and "monitor" the level, You may well find that it will "stop" burning oil around the 1/3 to 1/2 full mark
Thanks, I only top up once it drops out the window, and only to half way up the glass.

I also thought coil stick, but I thought if I pull the stick and running is directly effected then the stock is good? I read that if you pull the stock and no change then you know it's not doing anything. But... I'm a bit of a Newby in these things.

Thanks, I only top up once it drops out the window, and only to half way up the glass.

I also thought coil stick, but I thought if I pull the stick and running is directly effected then the stock is good? I read that if you pull the stock and no change then you know it's not doing anything. But... I'm a bit of a Newby in these things.

You've got it wrong ... You pull the secondary plug caps off, the ones underneath so it runs on just the main plugs. Then see if it runs on one/ both of the main plugs.

After a visit to the very helpful and knowledgeable MikeO he pointed out two things.

Firstly, he thinks I've blown a baffle in the Remus end can so should try putting the original cat and can on which is wanted to do anyway. Nothing to worry about.

Secondly, he helpfully pointed out that it can't be the coil stick as I don't have a twin spark as thought (not misled, just stupid), but do have a very rare single spark with servo and ABS - obviously the value has skyrocketed as a result of its rarity, but offset by the stupidity of the owner!!!!!

After a visit to the very helpful and knowledgeable MikeO he pointed out two things

Secondly, he helpfully pointed out that it can't be the coil stick as I don't have a twin spark as thought (not misled, just stupid), but do have a very rare single spark with servo and ABS - obviously the value has skyrocketed as a result of its rarity, but offset by the stupidity of the owner!!!!!

Hi Wiz old boy, sorry to devalue your steed but I also have one of those very rare 1150’s .
Single spark and Servo Assisted ABS. :blast .....

After a visit to the very helpful and knowledgeable MikeO he pointed out two things

Hi Wiz old boy, sorry to devalue your steed but I also have one of those very rare 1150’s .
You've showed me yours; I guess I have to show you mine now.
1c56840ce721671b9938756507f3765c.jpg

I have two of these very rare models, one is a GS and the other an RT ...

Do they have headlight switches?

No, headlight comes on when the ignition is turned on, goes out when you hit the starter button. Then remains on until the ignition is turned off. As far as I’m aware you CANNOT switch the head light off at all. Hope this helps Mike. :rob

Last edited:
I think there's some weird combo of buttons (cancel indicator/right indicator) for a few seconds that turns the headlight off. Pretty pointless though. Or am I confusing this with the R1200? :blagblah

Back
Top Bottom