Recalculation

:D. I honestly don't know why people have so much trouble, as there are plenty of tutorials about Basecamp. I reckon that half the problems arise from using someone else's route, calculated on a non-Garmin map using non-Garmin s/w.

One other word of wisdom (learnt after bitter experience) is to 'trace' over a route that has been provided to you. In other words, import the route or track from wherever, into Basecamp, then trace a new route over the top using your own start and finish waypoints, and shaping points. Don't just rely on someone else's route, as it can often go wrong.

The reason people have so much trouble with basecamp, is because its a non-intuitive and difficult to use piece of software.

So agree with jimbo non-intuitive to use but I will persevere.Will plan a route with start and finish waypoints and shaping in between and go off route and then recalculate and see what it does. Then do a route with several waypoints only, and recalculate. No definitive answer so a lot more experiments needed

So agree with jimbo non-intuitive to use but I will persevere.Will plan a route with start and finish waypoints and shaping in between and go off route and then recalculate and see what it does. Then do a route with several waypoints only, and recalculate. No definitive answer so a lot more experiments needed

Keep us posted please :thumb

Maybe worth mentioning (for newer model Garmins) as you activate your route your GPS will bring up a list of waypoint options of the route before it calculates, as you have mentioned three, start hotel, second waypoint down the road and destination hotel (the rest in between will be shaping points)

Here's where I once made the mistake of selecting the destination hotel waypoint thinking it would still follow the route unfortunately it wont, it will however take you there as the Route preferences are set on your GPS i.e faster time, shorter distance or curvy roads.

If you select the second waypoint it will navigate you there as stated above then follow your shaping points/route to the destination and if you select the start it will follow the whole route.

An easy mistake to make if your unaware.

There is one shortcut which, once you know it, makes plotting routes much easier. When you want to drag n' drop to modify a route, try this:

1. activate the 'hand' icon so you can drag the map around on screen
2. zoom in until you can clearly see where you are dragging to. Use the mouse scroll wheel or keyboard +/-
3. place the 'hand' icon over the active magenta route line, hold down the 'ALT' key and hold down the left mouse key. A black line appears - keep holding down the keys as you drag this black line to the road you want to use. Then release the L mouse key.

OK, you need to use both hands to do this, but it takes only moments to drag and drop a route.

To make changes to the points in the route, open the route either by double clicking its name (though this also zooms out the map to show the entire route on screen) or R-click, Open (which leaves the zoom level unchanged). Now you see a list of the waypoints and shaping points. If you click on a shaping point a brown circle on the map shows the location of that point. If it is in the wrong place, delete it, let the route recalculate, then drag it to the correct point using the method above. It really is easy once you understand the basics.

One final tip: once you have created the route, open it as described and look at the waypoints and shaping points. Some of the shaping points will be announced (I think this happens if there is a named feature at that location). I turn off all announced points (R-click, select from menu) except for the start and end waypoints, and the shaping point closest to the start (then I can select to 'go' to this point when I start the route on the Nav V).

Good advice from Tomcat, in post #29

It works slightly differently on a Mac. For instance, the hand icon (used to drag the map around) will drag a route without any further button pushing. In a way, I wish it wouldn’t as it’s possible to accidentally drag a route when dragging rapidly through the map.

Tomcat, Leedude and others prove that BaseCamp on a PC is not the monster that some people claim it is. Read their posts, look at the routes they create and share (particularly Leedude) if they can do it, so can you. That’s for certain. Look as well at many of the very good videos and self-help tutorials out there. Want to do something but don’t know how? Easy, just type your question into Google, more often than not the answer - along with a half decent explanation - will pop up. Remember, you really cannot break it, no matter how hard you try.

Good advice from Tomcat, in post #29

It works slightly differently on a Mac. For instance, the hand icon (used to drag the map around) will drag a route without any further button pushing. In a way, I wish it wouldn’t as it’s possible to accidentally drag a route when dragging rapidly through the map.

Tomcat, Leedude and others prove that BaseCamp on a PC is not the monster that some people claim it is. Read their posts, look at the routes they create and share (particularly Leedude) if they can do it, so can you. That’s for certain. Look as well at many of the very good videos and self-help tutorials out there. Want to do something but don’t know how? Easy, just type your question into Google, more often than not the answer - along with a half decent explanation - will pop up. Remember, you really cannot break it, no matter how hard you try.

All good and correct information.
If you're still having difficulties look up Don Norwood BMWMOA on youtube as he's done a series of videos on how to use Basecamp.

Keep us posted please :thumb

planned a route with waypoints and a few shaping points. As expected waypoints announced shaping point not. So took a wrong exit and my settings were set for recalculation prompt. I pressed yes and it did not trash my route but sent me to my next waypoint then carried on the planned route. So the waypoint it sent me too was a mile forward of missed exit. This may have helped Nav not to trash my planned route but this is encouraging

I have been using the Alt, Click drag method to re align my routes. I have also set my device to prompt when off route and have so far selected no when asked to recalculate. I then either navigate back to where I need be, shortcut to where I can rejoin the route or pressed on the map and said direct me to that point and add to active route. Hunky dory.

Back
Top Bottom