1150 GSA Headlamp Bulb Mod

Burge1150GSA

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to upgrade the headlamp bulbs (dipped/high) on my 1150 GSA 2006.

I have searched for similar posts but couldn't find anything quite right.

In the posts I did find there was reference to HID's but I thoughts these would have been superseded by LED's?

Just wanting to know what has been tried and tested and is a good reliable upgrade?

I already have a pair of Deneli spotlights which are brilliant.

Burge

LED’s would require a focused lamp otherwise the light will just flood out and be ineffective. HID’s replace the bulbs you have but with a much higher intensity. IMHO, this would be the way to go.

LEDs will be fine - the 1150 has a projector dipped beam and it will focus the light automatically (whether it focusses it in the right place has been the subject of much discussion here :p). The main beam is a straight reflector lamp, but the H1 LEDs I have seen recently on the market have emitters in all the right places and will give a good spread of light - you'll only be using it when there's no one ahead of you, so if there's some extraneous light then it really doesn't matter.

Slipperyeel on here did a piece on LEDs the other week and may be worth ncontacting for more info.

I have HIDs, which work very well, but I'd go for LEDs if I was refitting, for simplicity more than anything...

PIAA Extreme or Philips Nightbreaker Bulbs make a big difference over standard if you want to go for a simple option.
That and some cheap Halfords spots made a huge improvement to my 1150.

I fitted HIDs to my 800 and while they are very good, I think the 1150 set-up was as good or better

I had an HID on my 1150 and it was black and white when it was dark, the foreground was amazing white, but the light above the cut off point was very dark due to the glass pebble in the headlamp, a projector type light.I used some leds in conjunction with the HID and it was pretty good with added leds.

The LEDs now have emitters hardly any bigger than the original halogen filament so beam focus is good.

Good quality HIDs are great for a price. Cheap HIDs are downright dangerous.

The big snag with LEDs is sealing the headlight case. They have a heatsink on the back that stops the bulb cover being replaced.

Mine have a passive heatsink. Later types with fan cooled heatsink are smaller but will need a dome type cover to keep dirt out of the headlamp.

The massively better light performance makes it well worth finding a solution.

Are these discussions now a bit moot, since the MOT changes last month?

As far as I understand it, a headlight which was originally an incandescent bulb can no longer be changed to HID/LED without becoming an MOT fail.

Back
Top Bottom