Starter or Battery

Hoff

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
2012 R1200GS.
Cleaned starter and replaced brush pack last year, new battery year before.
When cold bike fires over fine but when hot it is very sluggish but does still eventually start.
Have seen a post on here pointing to whether it is likely to starter or battery but cant find it for the life of me.
Can someone help here?
TIA.

Probably mine in Hexhead section ...

Good cold starts then poor hot starts

from top to bottom

Earth leads under tank

New battery

New starter

Additional earth & Live powerlead direct from starter to battery

Probably starter, when its sluggish did you try attaching a second battery with jump leads to see if it perks up.

Thanks for the tips.
I did check the main earth last year so that's probably still ok.
Will check out the battery first and then if needed will pull the starter out for a clean.
Cheers
Paul

Connect a second battery via jump leads. Put its earth direct to bare metal on the engine. If the starter is still slow then it has to be the motor.
Battery can be from a car. Whatever is most convenient. Don’t run the car engine as the increased voltage can hide starter motor defects. It can also risk damage to car electrics.

Cheers Bendy, did that and hey presto confirmed my suspicion of the starter. Dismantled starter and it looks in a bad way so have taken the plunge and ordered an Arrowhead from Motorworks.
Just got to wait for it to arrive now.
Cheers

Cheers Bendy, did that and hey presto confirmed my suspicion of the starter. Dismantled starter and it looks in a bad way so have taken the plunge and ordered an Arrowhead from Motorworks.
Just got to wait for it to arrive now.
Cheers

Those two big slugs give that poor starter a right old belting. Mine was already weak when I had a fuel pump problem. Faffing with the controller bypass and trying the (already hot) starter a few too many times finally did for it.

my 1200 tc is a sod too. it almost fails to kick over compression, then gives in and spins and fires up first full spin.

Back
Top Bottom