Build quality

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve just traded in my l/c gsa for an RT. Don’t ask me why. It’s about the 3rd or 4th time I’ve swapped alegence. I had a few problems with the gsa but all got sorted by the dealer and bmw. When I took off the Givi universal adapter plate from the rear rack which I had mounted with nuts and bolts that I had to hand I found that they had gone very rusty. However the standard bmw rack has no sign of rust whatsoever. I got to thinking that if the rest of the bike was made to the same standard bmw would not have to be replacing frames engines exhausts shocks and switches. After 82,000 kms there was no reason to change except for a change. I’d love to have been able to afford to keep it alongside the RT. JJH

I was shocked at how thin the plastics were once removed... Having taken the tank covers and air inlets off, especialy around the rads... You get thicker plastic trays in chocolate boxes!

I was shocked at how thin the plastics were once removed... Having taken the tank covers and air inlets off, especialy around the rads... You get thicker plastic trays in chocolate boxes!

How thin is too thin?

If it breaks on a regular basis, it's too thin. If it holds what it should hold, it's thick enough. Thinner = lighter = better over all.

It’s not the thickness of the plastic that’s important. It’s the quality. Many years ago Austin unveiled their latest development- plastic bumpers on their world beating range of cars montegos mystros and metros. These bumpers were designed not to break in low speed accidents just spring back into their original shape. Alas they weren’t tested at less than 4degrees because at less than that they shattered into a million pieces In a minor tip. JJH

It's quite hard material, not like youd get on the tank of an off road bike or anything.. least knock and these will crack I'm sure... agree on them being light.. but these bikes are a premium product... then make them from CF :)

You are a real softy at heart, you could have been harsher.

Good luck with the RT, i am really enjoying my yoke. Did a brilliant trackday a few weeks back. The gearing is lower on the RT gives it a sprightly feel accelerating.

Re: plastics, I used to make moulds for car plastic, Did the 1980 Corvette front end, heater housings for the Thunderbirds and the massive rear trims for the Bronco.
On American cars the plastic was good and thick.
Thin wall Injection moulds are really hard to fill they need a fast flow material grades, very strong moulds and big tonnage machines.
I googled a picture, really complex engineering.

Attachments

• 401972579_759.JPG
    401972579_759.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 1,019
just working now on a big radiator end cap tool... multi cavity... bit of a monster.(not as big as yours though LOL ). China made, but still very nice quality... will be using flame retardant ABS or Noryl N190...
but no.. the thin stuff on the GS does not impress at all.. I'd guess at Polycarb but yes... just like the milk tray tray !!.. :)

but no.. the thin stuff on the GS does not impress at all.. I'd guess at Polycarb but yes... just like the milk tray tray !!.. :)

I don't know much about plastic. But I have never seen any of the stuff breake, but I may be ignorant.
Does anyone in here experienced the plastics to brake during normal use?

I'm with Knutk...Thinner = Lighter = Quicker = More Agility = better handling = better braking ..if it's strong enough to do its job then it's thick enough.

Next we'll be grumbling about the weight and how heavy the bike is...shave as much extra weight off as is engineeringly possible, providing it's safe, that's what I say.

I'm with Knutk...Thinner = Lighter = Quicker = More Agility = better handling = better braking ..if it's strong enough to do its job then it's thick enough.

Next we'll be grumbling about the weight and how heavy the bike is...shave as much extra weight off as is engineeringly possible, providing it's safe, that's what I say.

you want something quicker.. you should have bought another bike... can't think why people think these bikes are quick / fast or should be fast in real terms... I know I've said they were fast before, but thats in compasison with my 2010GS... not in comparison with my ZZR or R1.... thin to the point of a small stone would crack or even go through the thing is too thin for me... a few Oz more would make any differance to the speed or agility of the thing... but would make for a better quality part.

Good luck with the RT, i am really enjoying my yoke. Did a brilliant trackday a few weeks back. The gearing is lower on the RT gives it a sprightly feel accelerating.

Re: plastics, I used to make moulds for car plastic, Did the 1980 Corvette front end, heater housings for the Thunderbirds and the massive rear trims for the Bronco.
On American cars the plastic was good and thick.
Thin wall Injection moulds are really hard to fill they need a fast flow material grades, very strong moulds and big tonnage machines.
I googled a picture, really complex engineering.

Beg to differ,
That looks like a simple 2 piece mould with pretty straight forward ejectors,

Now if you'd said 2 cavity, 3 or 4 piece mould with up and away ejectors, chromed & polished finish for high gloss level parts,

That i would have said is complex engineering

... thin to the point of a small stone would crack or even go through the thing is too thin for me... a few Oz more would make any differance to the speed or agility of the thing... but would make for a better quality part.

So, do you have many cracks in your bike then?

Honestly, I have yet to see one bike with cracks from normal use. Take a look at the bikes of Touratech Offroad school. At the end of a season they have got more beating than most bikes will get through a lifetime. No cracks....

I appreciate that you want heavier panels, but there is really no need for it. Over-engineering is not to our benefit.

cost saving to the extream... to the point of making it look / feel cheap... I'd like a panel once removed to keep its shape, not bend and twist as its so thin. Granted it may function, but as I said... just thought they could have made them a bit thicker.

Just to get my thread back on track it’s not a plastics tread and I’ve never had any problems with bmw plastics. Well there was one plastic problem. The visa kind. JJH

So sorry, you're quite right.. what was your thread about anyway :) did have a sit on a RT today... did feel rather nice ;) best of luck with it :)

Back
Top Bottom