1988 R100GS headlight wiring

Jon T

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening all,
I’m fitting a high front mudguard to my 1988 GS, and I’d like to confirm the routing of the twin looms that enter the bottom of the headlight enclosure just above the mudguard. It looks like they should run back along the centre line of the bike, trapped between the bottom yoke and the mudguard. Does that sound right, could anyone please confirm?

Thanks a bunch, Jon.

Yes, from memory, I believe you’re right. The mudguard has spacers between it and the bottom yoke.

Evening all,
I’m fitting a high front mudguard to my 1988 GS, and I’d like to confirm the routing of the twin looms that enter the bottom of the headlight enclosure just above the mudguard. It looks like they should run back along the centre line of the bike, trapped between the bottom yoke and the mudguard. Does that sound right, could anyone please confirm?

Thanks a bunch, Jon.

Yep correct. As has been said make sure that you space the mudguard away from the bottom yoke and allow plenty of free movement for the loom lock to lock as this can be a common failure point for the loom. (I believe there was even a BMW service update for this issue, at least on the G/S anyways....).

Ah, interesting, thanks. The guard I have has a deep-ish channel between the mounts - is that generally not thought to be enough room for the loom? What thickness of spacer is reckoned to be best?

If its the stock guard it will still need a bit of spacing, I doubt anyone has ever measured the actual dimensions of any spacers you need, just use something to give it a bit extra so it all moves very freely. IIRC I think I might even have used the white plastic nuts (shaved down a bit on my bench grinder) you get from number plate fitting kits on mine.

Ah, interesting, thanks. The guard I have has a deep-ish channel between the mounts - is that generally not thought to be enough room for the loom? What thickness of spacer is reckoned to be best?
Yes, still uses spacers as well as the recessed trough. I buy tap washers and use them as spacers, anti vibration washers etc on all my builds.

Back
Top Bottom