R1100GS - Engine cuts out whist doing a steady 50mph.

brut33

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Was doing a steady 50mph yesterday on an A road when the bike lost power for no apparent reason (half an hour into my journey).
Pulled in the clutch and tried to rev it but just silence from the engine. Let clutch out to bump start it but nothing.
It was a busy road and I became immediately focused on rolling for a safe place to stop.
As you can appreciate this all happened in a matter of seconds then seemed an age for a safe stopping place to appear.
Once stationary I turned the ignition key off then back on, and the bike started with no fuss.
During the moment I can't remember if the dash lights went out when the engine cut.
Thank god it didn't happen in the outside lane of a busy motorway.
If anyone knows the coast road from Ainsdale towards Southport, they'll know it's a very good surface which eliminates
something jolting loose due to riding on a bumpy road.

I would appreciate any clues to what could have caused this.
Thanks in advance or any advice.

Was doing a steady 50mph yesterday on an A road when the bike lost power for no apparent reason (half an hour into my journey).
Pulled in the clutch and tried to rev it but just silence from the engine. Let clutch out to bump start it but nothing.
It was a busy road and I became immediately focused on rolling for a safe place to stop.
As you can appreciate this all happened in a matter of seconds then seemed an age for a safe stopping place to appear.
Once stationary I turned the ignition key off then bak on, and the bike started with no fuss.
During the moment I can't remember if the dash lights went out when the engine cut.
Thank god it didn't happen in the outside lane of a busy motorway.
If anyone knows the coast road from Ainsdale towards Southport, they'll know it's a very good surface which eliminates
something jolting loose due to riding on a bumpy road.

I would appreciate any clues to what could have caused this.
Thanks in advance or any advice.

Hall effect sensor & wiring should be an early port of call. Next time, see if the Rev counter drops, that’s an associated symptom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger,intermittent faults are a bugger to find .
As above,hall sensor would be a good place to look,given the age of the bike,maybe good preventative anyway.
Have the tank off take a real good look at the wiring and the connectors under the front of the tank,separate them and inspect,
Any wiring that moves around the headstock,if the wrappings are perishing pull them off for a looksee.if you’re happy rewrap with fabric loom tape.
Whilst tank is off check for loose batt terminals and clean the main earth

Start with the easy and cheap: check the wiring loom leading to / from the ignition switch. This can become brittle over time and the live wire can break due to flexing when the bars turn.

Hall effect sensor & wiring should be an early port of call. Next time, see if the Rev counter drops, that’s an associated symptom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the rev counter dropping is certainly a symptom of an engine not running :D

Turn on your ignition and then wriggle the ignition loom wiring around and see if the ignition lights flicker on and off. And while you're there cut the cable ties holding the loom and wiring from the bars to the frame. Do this on both sides so all the wiring is loose and free to flex whenever the bars are turned, rather than held tight and flexing at a single point each time, which leads to breakages .

Many thanks for all the advice gents.

I've had a quick tug of the wiring at the ignition switch and not a flicker.
Not got a great deal of time at the moment so will remove the tank next week for proper prod around. Failing that will look at the Hall sensor. This means removing the alternator belt.
Ps. The battery connections appear ok.

Many thanks for all the advice gents.

I've had a quick tug

Hope you get it sorted out and that it's a simple fix, some good advice above regarding ignition and wiring around the headstock. You need to get it fixed in time for Ullapool in September though, you've had me in stitches over the last couple of days in Dent so I'm looking forward to having a few beers with you again in September :beerjug:

Mike.

My bike had broken cable from the ignition switch going into the main loom under the head stock.

Symptoms were stalling that became more frequent over a day or so till there was no electrics at all with the ignition on.

Turn on the ignition then move the steering fully left then fully right, you may see the electrics drop, if not as already said above gently move the wiring loom around the head stock.

Back
Top Bottom