Help with dropped socket and potential for issues!?

dementedmonkey_co_uk

Reaction score
Hi All

2011 R1200GSA.... So, I was messing about tonight fitting rox anti vibe risers, managed to drop an E10 socket down behind the bars ie between forks and tank.... I heard it sort of kerrplunk down the bike somewhere but it didn't emerge and hit the floor :(
Pulled the side panels and sump guard and had a look everywhere I could see with a torch shining in but cant see it anywhere, shock the bike side to side and back and forward and nothing.... I think (maybe) I can hear something when shaking side to side but maybe just the float in the fuel tank?
I though about removing the tank but its got about 30 litres of fuel in it still.... Main thing I'm worried about is whether it could have ended up somewhere that could cause issues ie not sure how much gap there is around the alternator etc to maybe get in the belt cover? is there a big enough gap between tank and the tank cover for a small socket to get into?

On the plus side I think the rox risers may help the riding position, rode in an out of the garage a couple of times in case it shock the socket loose, but don't really fancy riding any further until I've found it as if it comes out down the road and I never find it on/in the bike I'll always worry its in there somewhere.... :mad:

Regards
Ben

Hi All

2011 R1200GSA.... So, I was messing about tonight fitting rox anti vibe risers, managed to drop an E10 socket down behind the bars ie between forks and tank.... I heard it sort of kerrplunk down the bike somewhere but it didn't emerge and hit the floor :(
Pulled the side panels and sump guard and had a look everywhere I could see with a torch shining in but cant see it anywhere, shock the bike side to side and back and forward and nothing.... I think (maybe) I can hear something when shaking side to side but maybe just the float in the fuel tank?
I though about removing the tank but its got about 30 litres of fuel in it still.... Main thing I'm worried about is whether it could have ended up somewhere that could cause issues ie not sure how much gap there is around the alternator etc to maybe get in the belt cover? is there a big enough gap between tank and the tank cover for a small socket to get into?

On the plus side I think the rox risers may help the riding position, rode in an out of the garage a couple of times in case it shock the socket loose, but don't really fancy riding any further until I've found it as if it comes out down the road and I never find it on/in the bike I'll always worry its in there somewhere.... :mad:

Regards
Ben

Sturdy magnetic probe?/:nenau

If I could see the damn thing yep, guess I could wave something about and hope for the best ;)
If theres any chance of it getting into the alternator pulley area I'll pull the belt cover off tomorrow night and see if that helps.....

remove the plastic (most of it anyway) and remove the tank. Socket spanners are not cheap and living a lump of metal to rattle about on top of your engine is a good way to chip the paint and start it corroding.

Bad luck,that’s the way it goes,,,,,
You have the thought,I really mustn’t drop this,fuck.
Keep taking bits off till you find it.:D
I’ve found various sockets under the tank on bikes.:comfort
Best one was in a previous life when I worked on cars,18” snap on breaker bar wedged between the engine and subframe.:confused:

Bad luck,that’s the way it goes,,,,,
You have the thought,I really mustn’t drop this,fuck.
Keep taking bits off till you find it.:D
I’ve found various sockets under the tank on bikes.:comfort
Best one was in a previous life when I worked on cars,18” snap on breaker bar wedged between the engine and subframe.:confused:

Good find that was, not cheap them bars.............

Good find that was, not cheap them bars.............
I can top that; snap on inspection light under the tank of the gsa, charged it up, works fine.

Even asked to speak to the mechanic at the dealership, apparently he was too busy to talk. I left, with light in grubby mitt.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

found the little git in the alternator belt cover! only after I'd pulled the tank and couldn't find it on top of the engine etc - was worth pulling the tank though to see just how bad the corrosion is under there - will be pulling it again in a few months and having a good clean and protect under there...
Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom