New tyres

250 miles on Conti Road Attack 3 today. Properly scrubbed in tyres now, and I can confirm they work VERY well on the GS.

@ J biker;like I said CRA3 are the best street tires for the GS so far.But if they don't last as long as the PST2 I go back to them because they are also very good and last very long !

250 miles on Conti Road Attack 3 today. Properly scrubbed in tyres now, and I can confirm they work VERY well on the GS.

@ J biker;like I said CRA3 are the best street tires for the GS so far.But if they don't last as long as the PST2 I go back to them because they are also very good and last very long !

I'm getting a set put on this weekend for an upcoming 4k mile hoon around Europe. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the PST2s... I love them and hope the CRA3 lasts the distance and handles as well or better...

I'm getting a set put on this weekend for an upcoming 4k mile hoon around Europe. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the PST2s... I love them and hope the CRA3 lasts the distance and handles as well or better...

Got some on mine, haven’t pushed them hard yet but definitely feel very good, don’t track grooves in the road etc and the bike is very flickable

Got some on mine, haven’t pushed them hard yet but definitely feel very good, don’t track grooves in the road etc and the bike is very flickable

Fingers crossed. 4k miles, and not 1 of them is on a motorway!

So swapped on new CRA3s on today... the first initial impressions are on a 3 mile ride back home are... they certainly aren't as responsive as the PST2. The carcass shape is far more touring (ie, flatter cross section) than sport. I'm not convinced. Yet.

A tyre proves its worth when pushed hard to extremis. If cruising on the motorway, any tyre that is black and round will do. But going for these latest tyres, and I expect them to offer shape for responsiveness, feel for confidence, and grip to keep me shiny side up when running hard. In terms of responsiveness and feel, the PST2 is BETTER than the CRA3. Let's see. If they don't give me what I'm looking for, they're going in the bin early and I'm going back to PST2s.

Not sure what PST2 are, but cant see that any new tyres can realistically be compared to the part-worn/shagged outgoing rubber...

If you are comparing new tyres now, with new tyres a year ago - then you must have remarkable powers of recollection...

Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2. Of course new tyres can be compared to old. And new CRA3 is not as responsive as worn PST2. I’ve gone through 3 sets of PST2s, so I know what they are like. Willing to give CRA3 a chance on some proper riding this weekend.

The factories put on what they can get cheapest...look at KTM who put Maxxis junk on the new 790...:(
Bridgestone has not made good tires for a long time.Their tires are not really fun to ride an wear out the sides way too quick.Especially on the front.
I member a good story a good 10 years ago riding a R1200S.Tried a Bridgestone equivalent to the Metzeler Sporttec M5 and Michelin Pilot Power after they came highly recommended by the press.What a disaster.The sides were gone after 1200 miles making the tires unrideable and ready to replace while the Metzeler and Michelins had worked great for 4000 miles under the same conditions and felt even sportier with quicker steering and more grip.
I called Bridgestone and asked them if there had been maybe something wrong with the tires because of such a performance discrepancy in performance to their direct competitors and if they could send me another set before I would complain and spread the bad news.
The Bridgestone rep asked me what pressure I ran.I said 36/42 like the others.He said if I had beenon the track.I said no but told him the mileage on the others included a couple of track days.He could not blame me.Then he asked me what bike I ride.I said a BMW R1200S.He said you BMW riders ride to much.You should buy touring tires and hung up on me...:D
Never Bridgestone again.I forgot my 2014 R1200R (on of the last aircooled one with TL) had Bridgestone T30.They felt like wood...:(
I took them immediately off like I did with the Anakee 3 on my GS-LC !
Like I said for spirited road riding Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 are fun to ride (quick steering and grip that the pegs scrape) and last longer than any other tire I tried on the GS.The Conti Road Attack 3 might be even better but I don't know how long they last ,yet.
Metzeler Roatec 01 are also very good but the Pirelli ST2 last a little longer and are as good as the Metzelers.
And people who like the Tourance Next should switch to the Pirelli because the ST2 is the successor to the Next.THe Pirelli is a little quicker steering and lasts a little longer...
Good to ride a new Michelin Pilot Road 5 on a friends R1200R.I would not bother with this tire as it felt boring/slow steering...

The Maxxis are very good on the 790 actually.

Was going to fit Conti TA2s on my new ATAS but might try the Pirelli Scorpion Rally STRs instead as they seem well regarded.

So swapped on new CRA3s on today... the first initial impressions are on a 3 mile ride back home are... they certainly aren't as responsive as the PST2. The carcass shape is far more touring (ie, flatter cross section) than sport. I'm not convinced. Yet.

A tyre proves its worth when pushed hard to extremis. If cruising on the motorway, any tyre that is black and round will do. But going for these latest tyres, and I expect them to offer shape for responsiveness, feel for confidence, and grip to keep me shiny side up when running hard. In terms of responsiveness and feel, the PST2 is BETTER than the CRA3. Let's see. If they don't give me what I'm looking for, they're going in the bin early and I'm going back to PST2s.

How the hell can you review a set of tyres after 3 bloody miles? :blast

I’ve done over 3k miles on the Road Attack 3’s, in ALL weathers (including snow) and road conditions, and I can say with confidence that they’re the best tyres I’ve ever had on a bike.

Sheesh, 3 miles. :blast

So i took them out today and gave them a few more miles.

The rear tyre has a noticeably flatter profile compared to the PST2 which means it turns slower, but with the upside of more stability. The front tyre is similar in profile to the PST2, perhaps even slightly steeper in profile (ie, faster turning). Overall, the bike has a faster turning front end, but the rear does not turn as fast. The PST2 allows the GS to drop in quickly with less resistance at the rear compared to the CRA3. It's bit like a motorboat with the CRA3 - not uncomfortably so, but quite different compared to the PST2 which feels more agile and sporting.

One thing, however, is that the CRA3 is a super smooth tyre - it has a rounder/more consistent rate of turn compared to the PST2. Had a couple of minor slips under harder throttle in the bends, but will put that down to it being new... traction skin or not, the rubber needs a heat cycle or two and the top layer to be scrubbed off. So the jury is still out. The CRA3 just feels different - certainly not as sporting as the PST2.

All fitted and they seem a good tyre - a bit less noisy than the Panakees so that's a bonus. The bloke who fitted them (Bob's Tyres in Deeside, N Wales) told me that they were to be the standard fitment on new reg 1200 gs's. and he's fitted them to about 8 gs's locally. Just get a few more miles on them and see what they grip like especially in the wet. Time will tell.

Am after some new tyres myself soon, how do you rate Bob`s tyres? and did you use the ride in service or take them in as loose wheels.

Back
Top Bottom