bmw s1000xr chain issues

samrossi46

Reaction score
hi guys

I bought a 2018 xr and it developed a bad vibe around 1500 miles which was caused by a tight spot on the chain which resulted in a new chain being fitted which cured it .. i have had bikes all my life and always keep the chains lubed and maintained , I have a 2016 60th aniversary R1 with 12 k on it and the chain is as good as new , back to the xr and i have noticed it getting vibey again at 3100 miles .. tonight i have had a new set of tires fitted on it on it and when i came to tension the chain the tight spot is back .. so to sum things up 2 chains have failed at the same mileage , i am booked on the 12 oclock ferry saturday along with moto gp tickets and accomadation with my daughter and at a loss what options i have .. has anyone had the same issues with the xr or advice on how to deal withn the problem ? ... i will be onto bmw first thing to fire into them and see how they see fit to deal with it ... help me guys lol ...

Are you sure that the rear wheel is in line with the front did the tyre fitter use a laser to align it ? If not perhaps get it done:nenau

Has the chain actually failed? As in absolutely no use whatsoever? I’d carry on with it till it’s convienient to get a new one. I’d go for DID. JJH

OEM chain reputed to be very cheap quality.

Get a new DID and fit it.

Chains will always vibrate due to the chain having to rise and fall as the teeth of the front sprocket pick up each link of the chain. Smaller sprockets exacerbate the effect. The frequency of the vibration will depend on a number of things - sprocket sizes; length of chain run etc. Hopefully the harmonic frequency is at either a very low speed or at such a high speed that it doesn't occur.

I am Anal with chains
The first chain on my XR was replaced under warranty as it rusted very badly despite my chain cleaning regime ( every 500 miles) and lubing after every ride. It was the side plates that were very bad. The chain that BMW use on these is no doubt cheapened down to the least ammount of money possible.

Having said all that the next chain was fine and i did not have to adjust it in 10K

So

Firstly if you are adjusting it regularly ( more than just between tyre changes) then it is possible that you are over doing it and possibly too tight ( my rule is that once they need adjusting more than between tyre changes they need changing)

Secondly the stock adjustment guides on the XR are, quite frankly, fucking useless so maybe invest in the HP version that are much more accurate and better looking.

They are quite a loose, by that i mean plenty of sag in the chain, so dont be fooled. The play i need in the Hypermotard is huge as an example and it looks way too slack when it isnt moving

hi guys ..
to update you on my chain issue with my XR ... the bike ended up having 5 chains fitted including the original with the bike doing 9800 miles , it wasnt me who was the problem but the rear sprocket carrier which was oscillating in an up and down motion as well as sideways which fooked the chains up .. i ended up having the bike rejected and BMW supplied me with a brand new bike .... Happy Days

hi guys ..
to update you on my chain issue with my XR ... the bike ended up having 5 chains fitted including the original with the bike doing 9800 miles , it wasnt me who was the problem but the rear sprocket carrier which was oscillating in an up and down motion as well as sideways which fooked the chains up .. i ended up having the bike rejected and BMW supplied me with a brand new bike .... Happy Days

I wasnt that lucky, the chain on my S1000R looked fine it was lubed regualry at least once a week and the bike had been serviced by BMW recently yet I had my chain snap which caused a lot of damage, the seat and seat unit swing arm foot rest hangers chain guard and hugger. thank fully BMW accepted responcibilty and are replacing all the damaged parts, including my bike kit which was ripped. I did suffer some bruising but was lucky the chain contacted the bike before hitting me, it could have been a lot worse.

think I will be going back to shaft drive after this experience.

Terry

I wasnt that lucky, the chain on my S1000R looked fine it was lubed regualry at least once a week and the bike had been serviced by BMW recently yet I had my chain snap which caused a lot of damage, the seat and seat unit swing arm foot rest hangers chain guard and hugger. thank fully BMW accepted responcibilty and are replacing all the damaged parts, including my bike kit which was ripped. I did suffer some bruising but was lucky the chain contacted the bike before hitting me, it could have been a lot worse.

Terry

How many miles were on the chain?

Terry

92343a01ff9ec108e877d1a0b5ee6417.jpg
b36ae1885b23dc1d15d05f4dce70519c.jpg
df978e1ff673aad7dfe687d4b83e0c25.jpg

A few photos of the damage bike has done 14000 miles

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bike has done 14,000 miles and had plenty of adjustment left, lubed and checked cleaned regularly

Terry

Think I will be changing mine this winter - no point taking a chance with a poor-quality chain. Any damage to either sprocket?

I’d be a lot happier if it had a 530

Think I will be changing mine this winter - no point taking a chance with a poor-quality chain. Any damage to either sprocket?

I’d be a lot happier if it had a 530

No damage to the sprockets but guess they will also be replaced, the swing arm alone is £2'000 not sure who the supplier is for the OEM chains but, I would say it's a good idea to replace with a well known make sooner rather than later. I was planning on getting through the winter months with the original chain and replace it and the sprockets for the summer. It's easy to say in hind sight, but there you go.

Terry

My mates 67 plateXR chain, less than 4K miles. Serviced by dealers rode home parked in garage left couple of weeks,as he works away. When he saw this he contacted the dealer who said, “that doesn’t look too bad”. Contacted BMWuk who basically don’t care, they want a report from the dealer, who mate mate is not happy with.

Attachments

• 15AE1F07-6191-426E-9016-82C6E57500EC.jpg
    15AE1F07-6191-426E-9016-82C6E57500EC.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 711
  • 7FB37291-3481-4CC2-B628-5E8B7EE175BB.jpg
    7FB37291-3481-4CC2-B628-5E8B7EE175BB.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 717
Dealer has used some aggressive cleaner on the wheels when servicing, I suspect.

Dealer has used some aggressive cleaner on the wheels when servicing, I suspect.

That's crap service, for which you pay a premium price, and Dealer should be feckin shot!

If that was mine I would take it straight back and instruct them to sort it out (having taken lots of photos as evidence). Don't forget that all main dealers are subject to a customer survey a couple of weeks after any service work, so your mate could threaten to mark them down significantly which is not something they will want to happen.

Back
Top Bottom