Test ride on a 1090 adventure

Bungy

Reaction score
So I've sold my GSA and started looking for a replacement. I want more off road bias but with on road capability and so my search has narrowed down to the 1090 adv R. There are some cracking deals around for 2017 models and I've seen these for £10495 but hold the front page. 2018 models are going to be on offer from June 1st.
Im just waiting to here back from a dealer on numbers for either after taking an adventure out for a test ride.
Immediately after pulling away I felt more at ease, the throttle response is almost too light and the slow speed manoeuvrability inspires confidence. Out on the road the acceleration was a pleasant surprise and so much more urgent than the GSA. At speed the lightness of the throttle and I'm guessing partly due to the fly by wire, it took a while to tune in and settle into smooth riding. The addictive nature of the acceleration had me grinning where the GSA would promote the same response from its through corner handling. Brakes, clutch and gear shift were all matched perfectly to the performance of the engine and although not the exact model I want to buy, I'm sure the R with its off road bias will be everything I hope it to be.

So I've sold my GSA and started looking for a replacement. I want more off road bias but with on road capability and so my search has narrowed down to the 1090 adv R. There are some cracking deals around for 2017 models and I've seen these for £10495 but hold the front page. 2018 models are going to be on offer from June 1st.
Im just waiting to here back from a dealer on numbers for either after taking an adventure out for a test ride.
Immediately after pulling away I felt more at ease, the throttle response is almost too light and the slow speed manoeuvrability inspires confidence. Out on the road the acceleration was a pleasant surprise and so much more urgent than the GSA. At speed the lightness of the throttle and I'm guessing partly due to the fly by wire, it took a while to tune in and settle into smooth riding. The addictive nature of the acceleration had me grinning where the GSA would promote the same response from its through corner handling. Brakes, clutch and gear shift were all matched perfectly to the performance of the engine and although not the exact model I want to buy, I'm sure the R with its off road bias will be everything I hope it to be.

I suspect the 1090R is a better bike than my 1290R.I think the latter has too much power if I'm honest.
If you're not in a rush, the Adventure 790R should be out in the Spring.I've got the 790 Duke and the motor is fantastic, so should be a cracking bike in Adventure guise.

I suspect the 1090R is a better bike than my 1290R.I think the latter has too much power if I'm honest.
If you're not in a rush, the Adventure 790R should be out in the Spring.I've got the 790 Duke and the motor is fantastic, so should be a cracking bike in Adventure guise.

'Better' at what?

I got a 1090s as it was a winter bargain, use it to keep 1190 mileage down and insured for Mrs to have a go as well.

We both love it, lacks manic mid range kick of 1190 but is still a good engine, imo better than latest 1200gs.

Feels compact as well, Mrs finds it barely any more lofty than her tdm900 and as easy to manoeuvre with more civility.

I am tempted at some point to try the 1090r with a view to replacing the 1190 with that instead of a 1290 as I don't like the semi active suspension if the 1290.

Only thing putting me of is lack or cruise, the 1090s are probably stacking up because they look under specd and over priced against the triumphs and Jap 1000s. The new GT tracers a competitor to the 1090s at 2k less with cruise control, heated grips and luggage.

But if you get a good discount then all is well. Plus who wants a Honda anyway. Nobody under 60?

Conversations I'm having is for a deal with full luggage and a bash plate. Time will tell but I have high hopes.

Is this not a better option.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/481154-KTM-1190R-2016-2300-miles

Would think the extra 25 or so bhp might put a bigger smile on your face.

Hi Nick, never met but cheers for the comments and linky provided. :beerjug:
Was wondering if it was ethical for me to jump in on the thread as I've obviously got a vested interest but I actually enjoy reading/talking about these issues as do most owners so I'll post a bit of research on comparisons for anyone else contemplating the differences for whatever reason.

An awesome machine but not what I want, I'm looking for the off-road bias with less electronics, better off road suspension and less weight.

Hi Bungy, not the hard sell honestly as I'm sure that you know exactly what you want :thumb2

However if you're like me you'll drink in as much info on the bike you're getting so I hope you don't mind me posting a link for you and anyone else who just enjoys reading about experiences of others to do with our bikes.

As ever there will never be a definitive answer, and long may that continue:thumb, its part of what keeps us all enthusiastic about the bikes we love :bounce1

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1190-r-vs-1090-r.1180960/

Cheers - enjoy the new bike when you get it :beerjug:

FWIW, if I was wanting an R now I'd go for the 1090 rather than the 1290; it seems a purer, simpler bike (all good things to me) and the drop in power is not significant to me. I've ridden a few 1290's now and for some reason they didn't 'do it' for me, much preferring my 1190R.

Bungy, FWIW & IMHO obviously, the R makes a nicer road bike than the S. I'm not quite sure why but the handling just seems more 'together' and the R certainly has better suspension. Whatever, you won't be disappointed :thumb2

Andres

I’ll chip in and say that if I wanted the off-road capability rather than touring capability I’d go for the 1090. For touring I’d still opt for either the 1290 SAS or the SDGT that I’ve already got. I don’t think there’s any substitute for raw power plus torque that you’ll get from a 1290 but not everyone wants to load up and ride across Germany in a day so you choose according to your specific requirements.

I had the 1050 (similar to 1090, the 1050 actually makes the same power as the 1190 upto 5k) I ran along side my 1290 GT, I went to trade for the 1290 SAS and tbh I could not see the justification of the price difference for very little gain, you can ride the arse off the 1050/1090 and really enjoy it, the spread of power is so user friendly whereas sometimes I find 1290 overkill for certain rds.

FWIW, if I was wanting an R now I'd go for the 1090 rather than the 1290; it seems a purer, simpler bike (all good things to me) and the drop in power is not significant to me. I've ridden a few 1290's now and for some reason they didn't 'do it' for me, much preferring my 1190R.

Bungy, FWIW & IMHO obviously, the R makes a nicer road bike than the S. I'm not quite sure why but the handling just seems more 'together' and the R certainly has better suspension. Whatever, you won't be disappointed :thumb2

Andres

Not ridden a 1090 but I agree with the hippy . The 1290R is a great bike but it’s almost too much . Less is sometimes more !
My H2 SX has 200+ HP but has the brakes and suspension to match .
But the upright stance combined with 21/18 wheels of the 1290R doesn’t need 160bhp.

I’ll be selling my 1290 after Spain trip next month .

Not ridden a 1090 but I agree with the hippy . The 1290R is a great bike but it’s almost too much . Less is sometimes more !
My H2 SX has 200+ HP but has the brakes and suspension to match .
But the upright stance combined with 21/18 wheels of the 1290R doesn’t need 160bhp.

I’ll be selling my 1290 after Spain trip next month .

This is precisely why the XR had to go !
Smiles and fun isnt all about BHP

I would be interested to know your thoughts on how the 790 would fare on a longish trip as i quite fancy one when the Hyper has to go although having said that the 790 isnt really any lighter than the hyper and down still more on BHP

I am still hoping for a 790R ( not adv)

This is precisely why the XR had to go !
Smiles and fun isnt all about BHP

I would be interested to know your thoughts on how the 790 would fare on a longish trip as i quite fancy one when the Hyper has to go although having said that the 790 isnt really any lighter than the hyper and down still more on BHP

I am still hoping for a 790R ( not adv)

The 790 Duke would be pretty good in terms of riding position. The pegs are actually much lower than you would expect and also slightly rear set.
The seat is a bit firm so not sure how it would fair on a long ride.There is no wind protection so that would probably be the biggest issue.
I reckon motorways would be shit, but brilliant on back roads.The motor makes lovely power,and the quickshifter is very very smooth.I hear KTM set the suspension up for an 85kgs body,so it's pretty damned near perfect for me at 90 ish kgs.
KTM even do luggage for it.

I'll definitely take it away when I can.
I was planning to probably change it for the 790 Adv next year but I've just pulled the plug on an Africa Twin Adventure Sports so I might just keep the Duke.Would be a gas in Brittany and I've just agreed to buy a little place down there .

An awesome machine but not what I want, I'm looking for the off-road bias with less electronics, better off road suspension and less weight.

Not sure where you got to on this but FWIW it you’re looking for off-road ability then i can vouch for the 1190 R in that regard. I use it green laning and as long as I don’t get carried away and forget that it’s not a 300 etc, it’s way more capable than I am. Admittedly I’ve changed a number of minor things to make it work better in this regard but I’ve never found the electronics to be an issue. Also being the previous model then all of the bugs have either been ironed out or identified. I get that the PDS of the 1090 is a better technical solution but a revalve front and back on the 1190 sorted things for me for a lot less. Also I figure that unless I move to Colorado and start attempting things that some of the natives on Adv Rider do, then I’m probably good.

On this basis and in my humble opinion if you’re in the market for a large adv bike and orange is your colour, finance deals aside you could do a lot worse than checking out a late model, well specced 1190 Adv R. As I’m in your parish, if you want to stop by and see how a 2013 model which has seen a bit of life has faired, PM me.

That said whatever you decide, it’s going to be a cracking ride...:beerjug:

I appreciate all of your informed comments but the deciding factor for me will be the opportunity of a new 1090 for less than a well used 1190. This with all of my previous comments swing it for me. I still need to complete the deal though so things can change.

I would like to meet up some time for some green lane action if you can tolerate my my rusty skills.

Took one out this afternoon for a few hours
No 1090 R demo which was a shame
V Twin is a bit different to a Boxer Twin
Characteristics are quite different
Felt light and chuck able
Plenty of grunt despite the limiter coming in early as it only had 360 miles on it - I guess there is some sort of limiter
Screen was crap though
15d62d4d9afc1fbcda90d139eb48a0a1.jpg

4935ab61cd94e3a9a59fd210af7193ed.jpg

Even did a few gravel tracks too

eb69324d546d59586ac1d2d4adb6bfb0.jpg

Back
Top Bottom