Mini Blaster still not working.

R800

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After getting advice on here in relation to wiring a FIAMM Miniblaster through a relay I did so...

I have 2 of them because I thought the first was faulty.

When I press the horn button the relay clicks and I get 12v at the horn. I have used the earth wire which was originally at the horn and also tried running a new one just in case.

I have changed the feed from the battery to 27a wire in case it’s too thin.

Horn doesn’t work and the fuse blows after a few goes or holding the button for more than 2 seconds. tried 10a fuses.

Both Horns works fine when I try directly from the battery... and as I said, getting 12v at the horn no problem...
One make no noise at all and one seems to be trying to do something... kind of a quick popping sound.

What am I missing???

You haven't inadvertently wired an earth directly to the switched live feed from the relay have you ?

Does your relay have terminals 30. 85. 86 and 87?? Making sure that there are No letters after the numbers??

Terminal 30 Live "FUSED" feed

Terminal 87 Load +ve (Split in two! one wire to each of the new horns not in series!)

Terminal 85 Signal for relay (i.e. Horn Positive )

Terminal 86 Signal for relay (i.e. Horn Negative)

For the horns set up two new clean frame earths

That’s exactly what I did... just went out and double checked... I’m completely lost!

Iv just put back in the original horn, managed to solder in 2 wires to the original plug so I’m gaining up!

Sounds like you have it wired incorrectly, do you have a volt meter to test you wiring?
If so disconnect the horns
1: test the live from your horn switch is actually activating the relay.[it should read 12v+ when pressed]
2: Test you are getting a positive [live] from the relay to the horn wiring when your press the button [it should read 12v+ when pressed]
3: Remove the live feed in-line fuse from the battery lead that you just installed and test live to the horns again [it should read zero] to ensure your not taking the live from the OEM bike wiring to power the horns [which sounds like what is happening]

I gave up on this and the bike it traded now...

I was a qualified electrician in another life so I really was only checking.

It was definitely wired correctly, replaced fuse holders, relays etc. Unrated the wire.
Got second and 3 Rd opinions... but still no go...

One if the mysteries of electricity!!!

Back
Top Bottom