Sheared bolt

Deleted account 200502001

Reaction score
Noticed one of the bolts holding the rear wheel hugger thingie is missing. On closer inspection it looks like the bolt has sheared off :blast. May as well remove the hugger thingie to stop it flapping about and coming off till its fixed.

I'd be calling the team together,

One bolt down, it will be spreading , I see calipers and spokes calling.

I'd contact the mothership and get a possible recall started

This could be the start of something big!

Do you have a scary vid?, were you resqued in time, facts man facts!

Thought you may have mentioned that I spotted that, anyway, you’ll be able to buy a new bolt and the small bit that it fastens to that is held on by the Caliper bolt. Did you sort the headlamp out?

Thought you may have mentioned that I spotted that, anyway, you’ll be able to buy a new bolt and the small bit that it fastens to that is held on by the Caliper bolt. Did you sort the headlamp out?

You’ll need 2,5 & 6

I didn't want to give you the credit for spotting it :D

I ordered the parts this afternoon, thanks :thumb2

Oh, and your iPad wants charging ;)

Fit a rear number plate fender extender and stash that shovel anywhere off the bike. All it does is throw kack and water forwards so better anywhere but on the bike.

And a cobalt left hand drill, it the bolt is still inside

No.... just buy part number 2 in the diagram. It'll work out cheaper than buying the drill bit and save you all the time faffing around. :D

Having had experience of this particular issue recently, I can confirm just removing the other two bolts to remove the mudguard is perfectly fine for riding on.
On replacing the same bolt as your photo (item number 6 in the diagram from realoem) I duly followed the instructions in the Haynes manual that says torque to 24Nm. 24Nm is, with hindsight, clearly much too high for a bolt of that thickness. I am waiting for help from a friend to remove the remnants of the bolt that are in the hole. Thankfully, I have a spare bolt of the exact type required.

PS if you need a replacement bolt to put into the hole, copy and paste the part number from realoem.com into motorworks.co.uk (there's a search by part number box, bottom right); they posted me out a bolt for a few quid.

So does bolt (number 6) pass through the bracket (number 2) and then screw into the final drive? Or does it just screw into the bracket, which itself is held on by bolt number 3?

Back
Top Bottom