TAT 2018 on a GS Rallye

Thanks for all the comments guys.

The GPS track is 7300 miles and we have 39 days to complete it. So that requires about 190 miles per day if we don't take any rest days or have any technical issues.
So we are planning to push-on at the start of the trip and try to put in some longer distances, to give us more time from Moab onwards when the riding gets more technical.
We are using 'GPS Kevins' unofficial route to get from NYC to the the start of Sam's official route in Virginia.
And we are allowing 3 days to get from Oregon to LA on road at the end of the trip.

Time permitting we will try to include the White Rim Trail - it would be a shame to miss it.

We drop the bikes off with James Cargo in Manchester on Tuesday morning, so we have this weekend for final prep and packing.
I'll be camping in the garden on Friday night as a final test.

We fly on Monday 4th June and have booked a cheap Air-b&b in Queens for the night. We'll pitch up at Customs bright and early the next morning to get the bikes and we'll ride through Manhattan and under the Hudson river to the start of the trail at Flag-Plaza on Staten Island. That's where we'll meet our US riding partner Jay for the first time.

I'll post some pictures of the bike before it goes.

Cheers

Mark :beerjug:

Thanks for all the comments guys.

The GPS track is 7300 miles and we have 39 days to complete it. So that requires about 190 miles per day if we don't take any rest days or have any technical issues.
So we are planning to push-on at the start of the trip and try to put in some longer distances, to give us more time from Moab onwards when the riding gets more technical.
We are using 'GPS Kevins' unofficial route to get from NYC to the the start of Sam's official route in Virginia.
And we are allowing 3 days to get from Oregon to LA on road at the end of the trip.

Time permitting we will try to include the White Rim Trail - it would be a shame to miss it.

We drop the bikes off with James Cargo in Manchester on Tuesday morning, so we have this weekend for final prep and packing.
I'll be camping in the garden on Friday night as a final test.

We fly on Monday 4th June and have booked a cheap Air-b&b in Queens for the night. We'll pitch up at Customs bright and early the next morning to get the bikes and we'll ride through Manhattan and under the Hudson river to the start of the trail at Flag-Plaza on Staten Island. That's where we'll meet our US riding partner Jay for the first time.

I'll post some pictures of the bike before it goes.

Cheers

Mark :beerjug:

You'll do that mileage easy enough as some sections are easy and you can crank up the mileage. I would however, try and get a couple of rest days in as it's tough going and teh heat will get you. I always take a break in Salida Co as it's a great little town and ideal for day off to relax and check the bike over.

DO NOT miss the White Rim Trail in Moab as that area is fantastic.

If you want to save a couple of days, I can ship you back from just north of San Francisco which will save you the long slog to LA.

Sounds great - have a brilliant trip and I'm looking forward to following your journey. :beerjug:

Was just checking this out recently so I'll be watching with much interest! Thank you for posting and best of luck :aidan

If you've any need for an emergency locator beacon (bought when I did the TAT), going very cheaply, then let me know. Good luck.

You'll do that mileage easy enough as some sections are easy and you can crank up the mileage. I would however, try and get a couple of rest days in as it's tough going and teh heat will get you. I always take a break in Salida Co as it's a great little town and ideal for day off to relax and check the bike over.

DO NOT miss the White Rim Trail in Moab as that area is fantastic.

If you want to save a couple of days, I can ship you back from just north of San Francisco which will save you the long slog to LA.

We have planned to use each Saturday as a rest day and this still loosely the plan although it will depend on how much progress we’ve made and if there are any enforced rest days due to other circumstances.

We are all booked in the James Cargo now Sarg. Thanks for the offer though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you've any need for an emergency locator beacon (bought when I did the TAT), going very cheaply, then let me know. Good luck.

Thanks for the offer Gaz. I’m relying on my riding mates to look out for me on this one. Fingers crossed.

If you need any help along the way, don't be afraid to come on here and holler. I've got loads of contacts along the way and there are a few TAT riders on here who will have some sage advice if you need it.

If you need any help along the way, don't be afraid to come on here and holler. I've got loads of contacts along the way and there are a few TAT riders on here who will have some sage advice if you need it.

Thanks Sarg - will do.

White rim trail not to be missed, but a hard day and take plenty of water😎

Still trying to find the exit ramp off Brooklyn Bridge????

They have had some issues I will ask them to update:thumb

Are thes guys writing up their trip somewhere else? Notice they haven't posted a peep on here. Last seen at Delta cargo?...:nenau:nenau
Doris, good to meet you at Customs, thanks for sharing the cab.

We will write up soon, we are currently in Marlington Virginia, and will start the official TAT route tomorrow morning. We are just leaving a restaurant in town and heading to a campsite that doesn’t have WiFi. The last two nights we checked in at 23:00 - more to follow later this week, when the WiFi gods are with us.

It will be worth the wait - trust me.

Cheers

Mark.

Doris, good to meet you at Customs, thanks for sharing the cab.

We will write up soon, we are currently in Marlington Virginia, and will start the official TAT route tomorrow morning. We are just leaving a restaurant in town and heading to a campsite that doesn’t have WiFi. The last two nights we checked in at 23:00 - more to follow later this week, when the WiFi gods are with us.

It will be worth the wait - trust me.

Cheers

Mark.

Good to hear you're making progress....we got distracted by some very nice micro-breweries in PA. so our progress is not so fast. We'll be in MD tomorrow...and...depending on the quality of the bars..WV the day after.....maybe....:D Have fun guys...

Oh dear, that’s not a GS Rallye :augie

Did the GS not make it?

4a666d54a73e1bd82746b19881f47932.png

He was on route 1 this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom