Routes and Lists

adventuredon

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Okay, so planning a route and created a new list. Dropped my start, end and a waypoint into the list. Created a route with the three waypoints in basecamp, then rubber banded and moved the route to where I wanted it. All good. Looking at the route properties in BC, it had loads of shaping points set to not alert. As desired and expected. All started well until I decided to miss a turn and then got the recalculate option. I hit yes. It recalculated me to the end way point using all motorway which I was trying to avoid. It was in accordance with the units preferences. It didn't take me to the next waypoint that was set to not alert, or indeed to any of the garmin created shaping points showing in the route properties before transfer. So I thought, OK, its doing what I asked it to. Taking me from A to B and not aware of the shaping points. I came home and checked my lists. All I see is the three waypoints in the list, even though the route still has many shaping points. So I thought, maybe the shaping points are held in the list and so set about transferring the list to see if the shaping nodes go with the list and let the route stay as set initially. No joy on transferring. It again makes up its own route between the 3 points.

My issue is this, if you have to create a waypoint for it to go through, whats the point of the elastic band if it just calculates it's own route! I have start, end and midway. I set the route to go to the first destination, not the end?
My older routes are all created the same and not had this issue before. All shaping points have transferred, in fact they even show up on the device as little dots. Not so in the latest route I created.
What am I missing?

In Basecamp click Ctrl O on the keyboard this brings up an options window in Device transfer make sure the "Always match route to the map on my device" is selected and make sure the "Strip shaping points on transfer to my device " is not selected.

Always select NO on recalculate unless you really are in a pickle. better still switch off recalculate altogether.

If you go to edit->options in basecamp and select device transfer there is a tick box that says strip shaping points from route during transfer to the device. Maybe this is your problem.

Ian

If you go to edit->options in basecamp and select device transfer there is a tick box that says strip shaping points from route during transfer to the device. Maybe this is your problem.

Ian

YEP, All checked. Not set to strip anything on transfer.

Something appears wrong with your route not sure what but if other routes you have created are fine, I would delete this one and start again with a new list in Basecamp also delete it from your GPS.

yes, my intention. However, I have just spent the best part of a week cobbling routes for my Harz trip, adjusting and manipulating them on BC. They look great. But I am stressing that once I get there, all will not be as planned! Oh the joys of too much information and options. I'll be looking over them again and making sure I have waypoints inserted, but the bugger is that if you use the elastic band tool, Garmin unit should really just mimic the route, or close to it, until the ext waypoint (via OR shaping point)

You see when i build a route I will open google maps and scrutinise the way i want to go even drop onto roads with street view to check how good they are.
Then decide where i will place waypoints in Basecamp this helps me link the route from start to finish.

For example i created a route from La Rochelle to Toulouse avoiding all Peage motorways. A fair distance, including the start and destination hotel i have 8 waypoints with many shaping points in between each waypoint.

With each waypoint I will change the name and give it, firstly, a number then some short description that roughly describes where it is. so when you are looking at your route on your sat nav they should be in order and make some sense of where they are, Probably a bit OTT but it helps.

I never use the rubber band method when building routes (it just doesn't work for me) i use the route tool the 3 green squares symbol (i always close down the start finish window that pops up when you select the route tool) and just left click with my mouse from the start waypoint then carefully placed on the correct side of the road going towards the next waypoint, and so on. if it goes wrong i just use the undo tool then carry on.
Generally i will click on a road just after a town or junction i wish to go down. rather than half way down or near the end this eliminates any strange route calculations with the madgenta line.

I only use the rubber band method after the route is completed if i need to move any points that are not correctly placed when you check your route.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

I share the concern about the device re-shuffling all the routes and the disappointment that may ensue.

Have learned a few hard lessons in recent years. The worst was taking a device abroad without the detailed country maps and having to buy a new device to survive a one way drive home to UK.

I’ve recently built 9 days worth of routes for this summer, starting with Kurviger.de (thanks Mr. W for the pointer some time ago) on my iPad, successfully exporting them to my own eMail, then successfully importing into Basecamp on PC.

As above, I now have to edit them with an appropriate number of “firm” waypoints to keep it all on track.

I have a a set of daily routes, A to B, B to C, etc.

Even creating a circular route can give problems if you ever have to recalculate.

And a figure of 8 route in Germany once gave me a headache at the crossover point too.

Any recalculation on the device will usually wreck the cleverly planned path as the device only has the start and end points.
Which is why “recalculate” simply shoots for home. Usually a last resort when the day’s planned route has gone titsup for some reason, such as detours or getting lost.

Same with studying and saving the track from a day’s ride. Only the start and end points are known so any “recalc” draws a new quickest path that bears no resemblance to where you travelled and what you really wanted to save for the record perhaps.

As above, I also name my waypoints with user friendly labels so that I can edit or rebuild more easily. Also carrying a map lets you make changes with a reference to go on.

Last Friday I enjoyed an almost 400 circular ride by using my default waypoints on the device.

As I’m familiar with them, it was easy to update the route as the day went on and I decided which way to head home.

The whole thing is a game that you have to play to beat Mr Garmin.

I also enjoy the planning that goes into a trip and have to challenge myself not to over-plan in too much detail.

I have now gone down the route (pun intended) of tracing and inserting shaping points at very regular intervals. With some set to alert (making it a via point, I believe) and most not to. I have yet to transfer a route across but just doing them one by one. If this doesn't work, well fck me sideways and Ill just follow the locals. According to all I have read, this is the best method. And I shan't be using re calculate unless i am very late and bored and just don't care anymore!! Off on Monday. Luck all

I’m still going through the learning curve with BC but I can tell you this Don...never ever click ‘yes’ recalculate as it will send you into the unknown, which is fine if that’s what you want. Better to select ‘no’ and get back to the magenta track on screen you intended.

I’m still going through the learning curve with BC but I can tell you this Don...never ever click ‘yes’ recalculate as it will send you into the unknown, which is fine if that’s what you want. Better to select ‘no’ and get back to the magenta track on screen you intended.

Are you talking about recalculating a route through BaseCamp or through the device?

The learning here is;
1. When you recalculate on the device it will take you to the next waypoint according to the preferences in the device. Shaping points ignored.

2. If you have gone to the trouble of planning your desired route in BC then for the love of Sanity Set auto-recalculate to OFF.

3. If you go off route then simply zoom out on the map to see how to get back to the magenta line.

Remember that the route calculation in the device is designed for those with no planning skills ;)

The learning here is;
1. When you recalculate on the device it will take you to the next waypoint according to the preferences in the device. Shaping points ignored.

2. If you have gone to the trouble of planning your desired route in BC then for the love of Sanity Set auto-recalculate to OFF.

3. If you go off route then simply zoom out on the map to see how to get back to the magenta line.

Remember that the route calculation in the device is designed for those with no planning skills ;)

Good advice. But your first point is not strictly correct. If you go off route, and the Zumo recalculates, it will always navigate to the next point that you have set on your route - whether it is a shaping point (don't alert) or a Via Point. (Alert). This is no bad thing - if you hit a new road or a diversion, the satnav will recalculate to get you to the next point on your route. If you place such point sensibly, it will get you out of trouble.

By 'sensibly' I mean make sure that you use routing points (via/shaping) to get you to just after the start of the next section (eg the road you want to be on after leaving a town; the start of the road over the pass).

You will always be nagged to go back to any route point (via / shaping) but if you ignore the nagging to visit a shaping point it will stop once you hit the magenta route again. (For this to be of benefit, you need to have autorecalc turned off, otherwise it gives you a new route back to the shaping point).

Via (alerting) points will keep on nagging you - no matter what. There is no escaping them - aprt from hitting the 'skip' button.

Back to item (1) - regarding shaping points being ignored. When you start a route, the satnav asks which is your next destination. It gives a list of Via Points, including the Start Point. I always have the Start Point set to be somewhere up the road from where I actually intend to start. When I select the start point as my next destination, the satnav navigates me to it, and then starts the route. But if you choses the next Via Point from the list, the satnav will take you to that Via Point using its own route, and ignore any shaping points that you have set in between.

If you have this situation, then there are two options:

1) Make one of your shaping points a Via Point - you can do this on the Zumo, as well as in Basecamp.

2) Choose the Via Point that you have already passed as the next destination, and then skip the via and shaping points that are behind you.

In foreign countries where the place names mean nothing to me, I set the points with a 3 digit number at the start which represents the mileage taken from the basecamp route. If I set the trip before I set off, I know roughly where I am on the route.

The trick is to have enough points to force the route, and select Via Points carefully. I place mine at the start of a route out following a likely coffee stop. The coffee stop will be a shaping point - I can then ignore it if I wish and pick up the magenta route, or start navigation again and select the Via point after the coffee stop as the next destination.

You see when i build a route I will open google maps and scrutinise the way i want to go even drop onto roads with street view to check how good they are.
Then decide where i will place waypoints in Basecamp this helps me link the route from start to finish.

For example i created a route from La Rochelle to Toulouse avoiding all Peage motorways. A fair distance, including the start and destination hotel i have 8 waypoints with many shaping points in between each waypoint.

With each waypoint I will change the name and give it, firstly, a number then some short description that roughly describes where it is. so when you are looking at your route on your sat nav they should be in order and make some sense of where they are, Probably a bit OTT but it helps.

I never use the rubber band method when building routes (it just doesn't work for me) i use the route tool the 3 green squares symbol (i always close down the start finish window that pops up when you select the route tool) and just left click with my mouse from the start waypoint then carefully placed on the correct side of the road going towards the next waypoint, and so on. if it goes wrong i just use the undo tool then carry on.
Generally i will click on a road just after a town or junction i wish to go down. rather than half way down or near the end this eliminates any strange route calculations with the madgenta line.

I only use the rubber band method after the route is completed if i need to move any points that are not correctly placed when you check your route.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Sounds a good method to me.

Back
Top Bottom