Galvanic corrosion

stratblue

genoQian
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My very own recording studio! (South Wales).
Hi All.

I'm tempted to replace the Torx bolts on the GSA with Allen heads, tired of always getting the wrong size tool, I should have learned by now but I'm just too dopey it seems. From what I've read it seems that I need to get bolts that are close on the periodic table to the material they are going into, so what does this actually mean for a 2011 GSA in terms of an actual ebay listing? Or do I not need to worry and just get stainless?

Thanks.

Hi All.

I'm tempted to replace the Torx bolts on the GSA with Allen heads, tired of always getting the wrong size tool, I should have learned by now but I'm just too dopey it seems. From what I've read it seems that I need to get bolts that are close on the periodic table to the material they are going into, so what does this actually mean for a 2011 GSA in terms of an actual ebay listing? Or do I not need to worry and just get stainless?

Thanks.

The standard bolts are zinc plated. Zinc is next to aluminium on the galvanic scale.

The galvanic effect of stainless will corrode the aluminium it will also corrode ordinary steel. Try a carbon steel nut on a stainless bolt and see how long it lasts.

Use a decent anti seize paste all the way up the bolt and under any washers. I don’t know how it works but Action Can copper paste has worked fine on my bike.

PS the trick with Torx is always try the next largest bit as the next size down often appears to fit.

PS the trick with Torx is always try the next largest bit as the next size down often appears to fit.

Yup. Even when you think you have the right one, always try the next one up, just in case. Surprising how often the next one fits.

Back
Top Bottom