Rear subframe corrosion

I can imagine, but just wondering what you had used, in case it had something to do with it, so many threads on washing bikes and paint strippers.......;)

I used Bmw bottled bike wash purchased from BMW
And acf50.
Bmw told me I shouldn’t have used a wire scrubber, not that I did!!!
Only used sponge and chamois leather drying cloth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used Bmw bottled bike wash purchased from BMW
And acf50.
Bmw told me I shouldn’t have used a wire scrubber, not that I did!!!
Only used sponge and chamois leather drying cloth.

Well if that was me I would be firing a email off to BMW head office with pictures and explaining what your dealer said, I bet they tell you to take the bike in for warranty.

Well if that was me I would be firing a email off to BMW head office with pictures and explaining what your dealer said, I bet they tell you to take the bike in for warranty.

It’s all done now, stripped and painted my self. Bmw UK were not interested in the slightest

But..... if I get a new one instead of the triumph, I’ll be stripping it down from new and doing it all again before it’s used

It’s all done now, stripped and painted my self. Bmw UK were not interested in the slightest

But..... if I get a new one instead of the triumph, I’ll be stripping it down from new and doing it all again before it’s used

Well all sorted then, but if it happened to mine it would be left with BMW till they fixed it, if under warranty, after would do just like yourself, stripped and powder coated.

Bike one year old, 6000 miles, washed or hosed down after any rainy trips, acf 50 re-applied every 2 months. Except: four weeks ago came back from a ride, probably a few drops of rain, and hadn't got round to washing it since then. Did so yesterday, and found the start of corrosion all along the centre bar of the centre stand. Swinging arm hub, whilst not bubbling, isn't looking great either.

Bike one year old, 6000 miles, washed or hosed down after any rainy trips, acf 50 re-applied every 2 months. Except: four weeks ago came back from a ride, probably a few drops of rain, and hadn't got round to washing it since then. Did so yesterday, and found the start of corrosion all along the centre bar of the centre stand. Swinging arm hub, whilst not bubbling, isn't looking great either.

Not corrosion according to both bmw and the dealwe, rather road rash. They'll be fitting a new one with film around the centre piece nonetheless.

....found the start of corrosion all along the centre bar of the centre stand.

I understand they all get that due to the grit spray from the front tyre, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I have a neoprene bike frame cover on mine as recommended on here. I got the "Survival Duck" on eBay for a couple of quid.

I understand they all get that due to the grit spray from the front tyre, which doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I have a neoprene bike frame cover on mine as recommended on here. I got the "Survival Duck" on eBay for a couple of quid.

Link would be great, if you would.

I accept the reason, and I know it's only the centre stand, but I would have thought BMW would put film around it from new and/or advise. It's small stuff, I know.

Link would be great, if you would.

Just search for "Survival Duck Bicycle chainstay protector" on eBay. There's plenty by other manufacturers, some quite expensive, but they're all just a bit of neoprene with Velcro on it. Why pay more than £1.55 Inc delivery for something that's going to be stuck under your bike getting sprayed with crud?

I wonder if BMW will change the paint process on the next model. I’m not ruling out having another GS in the future, but will certainly be waiting to see what changes they make, before I even entertain the idea.

I wonder if BMW will change the paint process on the next model. I’m not ruling out having another GS in the future, but will certainly be waiting to see what changes they make, before I even entertain the idea.

Hi Nutty, I’ve had a few BMW’s over the last 5 years or so, didn’t know you had problems with paint, not been on here so much recently, I may just be lucky but my bikes have been pretty much ok, I wash them periodically with S Doc 100 & use a combination of Fs365 & Acf 50, I do however fit engine protectors to the front areas & also a bit of convoluted garden hose to the main stand cross bar, since having the first one replaced under warranty 10 years ago, I agree by now they should have fitted some protection or advised owners of stone damage that leads to rust.
I also think most bike manufacturers are suffering paint problems, even the latest Hondas which I thought were bullet proof in the past.

I didn’t have paint issues on any of mine, but with so many reports on here, is it only a matter of time? :augie

KTM know how to paint bikes. ;):D

I didn’t have paint issues on any of mine, but with so many reports on here, is it only a matter of time? :augie

KTM know how to paint bikes. ;):D

Isn't rust orange?

So you'd never tell anyways.

Just search for "Survival Duck Bicycle chainstay protector" on eBay. There's plenty by other manufacturers, some quite expensive, but they're all just a bit of neoprene with Velcro on it. Why pay more than £1.55 Inc delivery for something that's going to be stuck under your bike getting sprayed with crud?

:thumb

Bought my bike a few months ago, just under 4 years old with 8000 miles. With the rest of it being mint, the corrosion on the rear subframe was annoying, so stripped it down and had it powder coated. They did a great job, and only £45.
I actually reckon there is no undercoat on the frame from the factory.
Cheers
Dave

Oops, wrong way round, but you get the gist
Dave , some more info will be muchly appreciated.
- did you have to remove and take the frame?
- where did you get it powder coated?
- how much time to powder coat?

Ta, :beerjug

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom