ST3S cutting out briefly...

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone come across his type of issue and if so, what is the cause of the fault?

Riding bike today from Wexford to Dublin, and the engine began to cut out for a second or two...but coming back to life immediately afterwards. This was happening while riding on steady throttle or accelerating. It was like the kill switch was switched off for a few seconds or less. The engine would come back to life without changing gear or stopping. On some occasions, the orange engine management light came on for the few seconds, but not always. Temperature +70C, fuel tank filled in Topaz in Wexford.

Bike starts, idles and pulls perfectly other than this intermittent sudden brief loss of power. It is very sudden, not a misfire, so I guess electrical not fuel.

Any clues?

Ta,

Bin

Hi,

Has anyone come across his type of issue and if so, what is the cause of the fault?

Riding bike today from Wexford to Dublin, and the engine began to cut out for a second or two...but coming back to life immediately afterwards. This was happening while riding on steady throttle or accelerating. It was like the kill switch was switched off for a few seconds or less. The engine would come back to life without changing gear or stopping. On some occasions, the orange engine management light came on for the few seconds, but not always. Temperature +70C, fuel tank filled in Topaz in Wexford.

Bike starts, idles and pulls perfectly other than this intermittent sudden brief loss of power. It is very sudden, not a misfire, so I guess electrical not fuel.

Any clues?

Ta,

Bin
Similar with trophy, bad connections at ecu. I'd suggest checking all connections, clean and fill with silicon grease, also make sure earth's are bright and tight.

As warning lights appeared, get the codes read, incase it's something really unusual.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Thanks for advices, I am off to Spain for 10 days on the ADV so it will have to wait. I picked up a new relay today, will replace the FI relay if I can find it!

Is it starting alright??

Those 916/996/998 engines are renowned for having poor quality, under specced battery/earth cabling.

Sent from a U11

Starts great, has had cables upgraded and has a great battery. Even covered in frost after a night outdoors in Wexford last Feb, it started straight away. Still, there is a lot said about the electrics / connectors so I will take the fairings off and have a good look in mid-June.

Thanks for advices!
I unplugged and cleaned all the connectors I could find, as well as the battery terminals. I bought a standard relay to have handy in case the problem re-appears, so that I can swap it for the Injection relay. The fitted relay is a standard Hella type but is inside a waterproof shell, under the seat. Easy to get to. I can use an ordinary cube relay to at least test and see if the fault clears. Meantime, the bike is running away with no fault!
A good spin to Wexford is needed to test it!

Back
Top Bottom