Road Tech 01

Cheers for the pics , looks like they will last well for my Euro trip , they do seem to be a great tyre and now have fitted a second set on my spoked wheels for riding when two up so I can keep the better set on the alloys.
Good info and thanks again to all for the replies to my post.
Did a harder ride this weekend and pushed the tyres and again as more used to them and they were faultless ( still had the squirm but like the feel now as it keeps you connected) once cruising the tyres are so quite .

The more I ride on these the better they get , they really are a great tyre , grip when you need to find it .
Found the perfect replacement for the CTA2 … sad day in a way but they really are that good.

First 250 miles run in

Just ran the second set in and this is wear after 250 miles , seems even and considering the roads , not bad.
The front really does find the grip in all surfaces and never seems flustered , the rear still sits there planted.
Also noticed that the set seem to cope well with loose / dust gravel when leant over , again the tread seems to find the grip.
It as it describes in the sales info. Seems like they have got it right.
I'm still waiting for the new Trail 5 to try these as well as these seem a more sport based tyre and need to be tested, as now I have a second set of wheels allows me to compare in real time.

Attachments

• rear 1.jpg
    rear 1.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 376
  • Frt 1.jpg
    Frt 1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 366
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 363
Just realized that the Roadtec 01 has 2 different types, a normal one and a heavyweight one designed for the heavy bikes, surely get better mileage with the heavy version methinks.

Just realized that the Roadtec 01 has 2 different types, a normal one and a heavyweight one designed for the heavy bikes, surely get better mileage with the heavy version methinks.

They list two versions of the 180 and 190 size tyres but only one for the 170

Spoke to them about this, they recommend the heavy weight tyre for the likes of the K1600 and Goldwing, they recommend the standard tyre for the GS and GSA.

Spoke to them about this, they recommend the heavy weight tyre for the likes of the K1600 and Goldwing, they recommend the standard tyre for the GS and GSA.

I had the same conversation regarding the heavier version of the PR4, it was recommended to use the standard tyre.

Michelin Road 5 (Trail version)

I've been waiting for the new Michelin Road 5's for some time now. Michelin's website states they were to be released in June for the Trail version which would suit the GS/GSA. As Id not been able to locate any as yet I emailed Michelin today and it seems BMW themselves have held up the release to the customer!! This was there response to my enquiry.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Michelin Road 5 tyres.

Unfortunately the website has not been updated – my apologies – due to OE demand primarily from BMW – this tyre has been delayed until August. I’ll try and get the website updated when I get an exact date.

Best regards, :blast

I've been waiting for the new Michelin Road 5's for some time now. Michelin's website states they were to be released in June for the Trail version which would suit the GS/GSA. As Id not been able to locate any as yet I emailed Michelin today and it seems BMW themselves have held up the release to the customer!! This was there response to my enquiry.

Unfortunately the website has not been updated – my apologies – due to OE demand primarily from BMW – this tyre has been delayed until August. I’ll try and get the website updated when I get an exact date.

So looks like they will be replacing the A3,s

That's a good thing then , lets hope the New 5 is as good as we / I hope and up to or better than the RT01 as the A3 were awful.

Thanks for the update , I had heard July but looks like your info holds more ground. Cheers

Well , now done about 700 miles on the new boots and I would like to share a few bits.
I normally use the Conti Trail Attack 2 which is for me the default , faultless tyre of choice , great grip wet / dry , sure footedness and fast turn . BRILLIANT TYRE.
Now ……. the Road Tech 01 … what can I say as good even better as its a full road tyre and it performs very well in fact perfect apart from …
Im not sure if others have found this but the front seems to follow every undulation on the roads ( I ride mainly in wales so the roads are a mix of all sorts) but this strangley seems to feel like the tyre is continuously looking and finding the grip , its odd but works , and it finds it wet or dry.
Once used to it you can push the front hard , it squirms under heavy braking but its solid and can even lift the rear off the road ( makes its very light ) which I like ..
The rear , never moves and solid .
As a set of tyres they are like limpets to the road . Milage not sure and to be honest not bothered but will monitor as some may be .
The tyres are not burring up as much as the Conti so I would say they will last longer , the first ride was odd but the more I use them the better they get.
Note: I ride for fun and at pace so this is what I base my comments on.
The front now has around 2-3mm off unused and the rear about 3-5 so they seem balanced . I don't do islands to scrub the tyres only roads.

I fitted a set before last years Euro excursions. A very lively tire that will suit some and not others. For me, they are a tad too lively steering for the GSA. PR4’s prior, which were faultless wet or dry. I immediately missed the wet grip after fitting 01’s and during the next few thousand miles I have a fare few front slides that were memorable, wet and dry roads, something I just can’t remember having with PR4’s.

For me, the better tire for 2 up riding is definitely the PR4, for solo take your pick...I ride briskly solo and the 01’s were fine, apart from the occasional sliding. Personally, I’d go for the PR4 on a GSA, so long as you’re not going off-road obviously. If I keep the GS, which is doubt as I always seem to pick up the 1290 key, I thought I’d try the new PR5’s and see what they’re like....if they’re better tires than the PR4’s they’ll be pretty perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom