GSAP Upshift Issues - anyone else?

Trying to be more deliberate in my shifting. Only happened once on the way home today. It could be me after all. The shock - user error!

More than likely is, I still cannot get used to the hill start control, want to trust it but, old habits come back.

I had the same issue. Turns out it was operator error. Using GSAP you have to be on or off the gas dependent on direction of shift. Anything else results in ‘Buckaroo’ type moments and the occasional moment of silence when the engine is killed but there’s no shifting being done.

I had the same issue. Turns out it was operator error. Using GSAP you have to be on or off the gas dependent on direction of shift. Anything else results in ‘Buckaroo’ type moments and the occasional moment of silence when the engine is killed but there’s no shifting being done.
Erm... that's not exactly true.
I rode another GSA (demo bike) and I didn't have to care too much about rev, speed or km. It just shifts up and down so smoothly.

Get yours checked out.
Mine is in BMW now... awaiting update, reset and possibly they change the GSAP unit for a new one.
My bike is 2018, 3000km new.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

I am quite an "expert" in this topic, having discussed this problem with several people already in another forum.
I have a 2018 GSA with GSAP. The GSAP sucks while the clutch transmission is butter smooth.

Initially I thought it was me and also the bike (transmission) was new.
It is easy to shift by clutch (almost sublime smoothness) but the shift lever seems to be hard-stuck whenever I tried to shift using the GSAP.
I can injure my foot, no kidding.

After 2800km, I decided to do a test.
I went to the BMW dealer and asked to ride their GSA demo bike (which has less km than mine).
That demo bike shifted with GSAP like the gears wanted to jump into the next gear (smooth like using a clutch).
It was effortless clicking into gears. The engine was COLD.

So I complained to the dealer about my GSAP.
He asked his mechanic to take the demo bike and my bike to have an objective comparison.

They agreed mine was hard to shift. They also said not every bike can be the same. (BS if you asked me)

They proceeded to lube the lever and also hooked up to the computer to reset the Gear Adaptation Values and reteach the GSAP to shift (more about this later).

Result: My bike still shift badly with the GSAP.
It is very frustrating because sometimes it shifts very well, even from 2-3-4-5-6 but sometimes the gears still does not want to budge and I had to really kick it into gear (often resulting in a lunge forward).

This weekend I have another scheduled meeting with a BMW mechanic to try to resolve this problem.

The Software solution seems to be:
Reset all Adaptation Values of the Gear Transmission values (via BMW workshop or your own GS-911 device).
Startup the bike in 1st gear, then run the bike 10 seconds (must durate) in each gear using clutch method. 1-2-3-4-5-6.
Some said to do this on the road, some said to do this on the center stand.
This allows computer to learn the shifting pattern.

And after it reaches 6th gear, shift down to 1 (no time limit) with clutch.
Then shut off bike and wait 2 mins for ECU to register the change.

This will magically result in the GSAP becoming smooth and effortless.

Will this be my result on this weekend? Stay tuned.

Interesting - that sounds exactly my mine. The gearshift is so hard to move in GSAP that I rarely use it at all, whereas with the clucth it's beautifully light and accurate. Barely get any sort of blip on down changes either - just feels like I'm crashing it down the gears. It's basically shit whereas my much old S1000RR is super smooth and light (up only)

Mine's been difficult to upshift from day 1. OKish downshift.

Just had it serviced and the upshifts are a little better but the lever is still more difficult to operate than with the clutch.
I end up doing clutchless upshifts but not using the GSAP , by just dipping the throttle. Much better,

Mine's been difficult to upshift from day 1. OKish downshift.

Just had it serviced and the upshifts are a little better but the lever is still more difficult to operate than with the clutch.
I end up doing clutchless upshifts but not using the GSAP , by just dipping the throttle. Much better,

Mhhhh, with the GSAP installed, I don't think it's possible to achieve a clutchless upshift without triggering the system.... ???

I am quite an "expert" in this topic, having discussed this problem with several people already in another forum.
I have a 2018 GSA with GSAP. The GSAP sucks while the clutch transmission is butter smooth.

Initially I thought it was me and also the bike (transmission) was new.
It is easy to shift by clutch (almost sublime smoothness) but the shift lever seems to be hard-stuck whenever I tried to shift using the GSAP.
I can injure my foot, no kidding.

After 2800km, I decided to do a test.
I went to the BMW dealer and asked to ride their GSA demo bike (which has less km than mine).
That demo bike shifted with GSAP like the gears wanted to jump into the next gear (smooth like using a clutch).
It was effortless clicking into gears. The engine was COLD.

So I complained to the dealer about my GSAP.
He asked his mechanic to take the demo bike and my bike to have an objective comparison.

They agreed mine was hard to shift. They also said not every bike can be the same. (BS if you asked me)

They proceeded to lube the lever and also hooked up to the computer to reset the Gear Adaptation Values and reteach the GSAP to shift (more about this later).

Result: My bike still shift badly with the GSAP.
It is very frustrating because sometimes it shifts very well, even from 2-3-4-5-6 but sometimes the gears still does not want to budge and I had to really kick it into gear (often resulting in a lunge forward).

This weekend I have another scheduled meeting with a BMW mechanic to try to resolve this problem.

The Software solution seems to be:
Reset all Adaptation Values of the Gear Transmission values (via BMW workshop or your own GS-911 device).
Startup the bike in 1st gear, then run the bike 10 seconds (must durate) in each gear using clutch method. 1-2-3-4-5-6.
Some said to do this on the road, some said to do this on the center stand.
This allows computer to learn the shifting pattern.

And after it reaches 6th gear, shift down to 1 (no time limit) with clutch.
Then shut off bike and wait 2 mins for ECU to register the change.

This will magically result in the GSAP becoming smooth and effortless.

Will this be my result on this weekend? Stay tuned.
I'm tuned. Any update??

Mhhhh, with the GSAP installed, I don't think it's possible to achieve a clutchless upshift without triggering the system.... ???

It is if you drop the revs. It goes into gear just nice, if I keep the revs up the lever is harder to shift. It needs more force.

Frustrating gearshift

I`ve had my GS two weeks and have done 1500 miles. I`m still struggling with GSAP. Never smooth 1-2 and 2-3, so always use the clutch for a smooth change. 3-4-5-6 good between 4 - 5K rpm but jerky otherwise. I have taken to easing the throttle on upshifts for smoother changes. Downshifts are much better with a firmer than normal pressure on the lever. It does occasionly forget to "blip" the throttle when going into first making me look like a complete amatuer:nenau
The bikes new to me, so will keep trying.

On my S1000XR it was faultless up and down the box. On my 2018 GS, up - 1-2-3 clutch, 4,5,6 GSAP faultless but on an open throttle.
Downshift, all gears faultless but on a closed throttle.

It is if you drop the revs. It goes into gear just nice, if I keep the revs up the lever is harder to shift. It needs more force.

But what convinces you GSAP didn't trigger? I know how a clutchless upshift works on a regular bike, I just don't think rev matching is all it takes to inhibit the system. From what I understood, if a gear change is requested in the absence of clutch lever pressure, the GSAP will try to works it's magic, essentially cutting the throttle(or blipping it for downshifts) in order to rev match and execute what is essentially an automated clutchless gear shift.

Maybe, you dropping the revs helps for smoother GSAP upshifts but in my experience it's not the case at all! If I decelerate prior or during an upshift it's even more jerky and awkward, and that is IF the shift occurs at all... I wouldn't rule out a defective GSAP unit in your case.

On the other hand, the fact that GSAP shifts need more strength and a more deliberate movement is by design and not a fault with your unit. GSAP does not care one bit for sloppiness, but I agree there is a big difference in GSAP response across bikes, even from the same gen and similar mileage, and that's a bit disconcerting. GSAP is a skill that needs to be honed but that doesn't transfer to other bikes as each one seem to set in differently.

But what convinces you GSAP didn't trigger? I know how a clutchless upshift works on a regular bike, I just don't think rev matching is all it takes to inhibit the system. From what I understood, if a gear change is requested in the absence of clutch lever pressure, the GSAP will try to works it's magic, essentially cutting the throttle(or blipping it for downshifts) in order to rev match and execute what is essentially an automated clutchless gear shift.Maybe, you dropping the revs helps for smoother GSAP upshifts but in my experience it's not the case at all! If I decelerate prior or during an upshift it's even more jerky and awkward, and that is IF the shift occurs at all... I wouldn't rule out a defective GSAP unit in your case. On the other hand, the fact that GSAP shifts need more strength and a more deliberate movement is by design and not a fault with your unit. GSAP does not care one bit for sloppiness, but I agree there is a big difference in GSAP response across bikes, even from the same gen and similar mileage, and that's a bit disconcerting. GSAP is a skill that needs to be honed but that doesn't transfer to other bikes as each one seem to set in differently.
I have done a comparison with a demo bike with less km than mine (3000km) and the demo bike shifts almost effortlessly in COLD engine conditions.It is not the rider. It is the GSAP or the settings. Will this be correctable? I don't know. My bike is ready for collection but the rain today has a weather warning...so I will wait til I retrieve my GSA.

...almost effortlessly in COLD engine conditions...

Some mornings, when I take my bike from cold, I feel like the GSAP is smoother. Difficult to quantify that kind of gut feeling and it may be the whole gearbox/engine feeling less "sawing machine" like, still, there is a noticeable difference. Oil quality/properties in the gearbox?

Some mornings, when I take my bike from cold, I feel like the GSAP is smoother. Difficult to quantify that kind of gut feeling and it may be the whole gearbox/engine feeling less "sawing machine" like, still, there is a noticeable difference. Oil quality/properties in the gearbox?

1. HOLD the revs constant when shifting

2. Rev up and hold and kick to shift UP

3. Close throttle fully to kick to shift DOWN

....when I was riding the demo bike, I did not have to "focus" on these guidelines...the shifter just GLIDES smoothly into the next gear (UP/DOWN) with a slight tap of the toe/foot.

"What? Is that even possible? "

Those were my exact thoughts when I rode the DEMO...my heart sank because my own GSA shifts hard and I can in fact injure my toe or break the lever eventually.

I have to agree with the observation regarding the feel of the GSAP in that somedays it just seems to work and others it doesnt.

Mainly because I've read lots of times that even a slight reduction in throttle cancels the GSAP.

I may be wrong but I think your GSAP just work and you happen to have learned a technique that make it smoother on your bike.

On my bikes(2018 GS and 2015 RS), cancelled GSAP attempts prevents me to shift gear altogether. No or too few throttle on upshifts, or too much when downshifting result in the action on the gear lever being totally ignored, it doesn't revert to just work as if it wasn't there. Botched GSAP shifts in the other hand result in more jerk, the bike lurching forward, or the rear tire micro-skidding, or the gear going to a false neutral, or the gearbox starting to emit very unpleasant grinding noises, or no blipping of the throttle... that's what I get sometimes when I half ass it.

My point is, if your bike is equipped with a working GSAP, only way to inhibit it is to use the clutch, any other attempts result in a GSAP shift, cancelled, botched or smooth.

Does it do this in any random gear? On my 2016 R1200RS the shift using GSAP is so clunky 1-2 and 2-3 that I use the clutch. It's fine in the higher gears and down shifting. I rode a 2017 R1200GS Rallye recently which was exactly the same.

Supposedly they improved things on 2017 versions of the RS so I was expecting the Rallye to be better.

My 2017 Exclusive is exactly the same

Back
Top Bottom