Recommended place for servicing a R1200GS 2009 in or around Aberdeen please?

bandituk

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, my bike is almost at 22k miles now. I’ve had the bike nearly a year and I’d like to get serviced in or near Aberdeen. I’d especially like them to check the top ends as there’s a slight tappety noise creeping in. It’d like all fluids changed too for peace of mind.
Who would you recommend for giving the bike a fairly good going over?

Cheers

Ian

Hi, my bike is almost at 22k miles now. I’ve had the bike nearly a year and I’d like to get serviced in or near Aberdeen. I’d especially like them to check the top ends as there’s a slight tappety noise creeping in. It’d like all fluids changed too for peace of mind.
Who would you recommend for giving the bike a fairly good going over?

Cheers

Ian

I used to take my GSA to Keith Garage. The mechanic there (Colin) is BMW trained and did years at Shirlaws when they held the dealership.

Give them a call on 01542 882501.

do it youself? these bikes are easy to work on, i did mine after 24k. you will save a load of cash and get the satisfaction of knowing it has been done properly. i have a haynes manual if you want it, don't have the gs anymore as i swapped it in for a vstrom650. i think my old bike ended up down at inchture.

There's Mac the mechanic on Haggis St.
But I think he only services models up to 2008 and 2010 - present.

Im sure the Ex BMW technician has gone on his own now and he was excellent (Possibly BMW Tech of the year a few years back). Bhud of this Parish may know, I'll ask around.

Dave reccomennded Keith Garage or Ian MacDonald from here.

Ian Macdonald will be Ghiribizzo of this parish. He's not on here much these days, although he's in Freuchie just down the road from us. I'd have no hesitation in recommending Ian's work, especially if you want your bike to have a thorough going over. Ian used to run a Moto-Guzzi shop and was the only guy in Scotland approved by the Guzzi factory to do gearbox repairs.

We see each other quite often and in fact, he left here about an hour ago. So if anyone wants his number, please feel free to PM me and I'll give you his number by return.

Useful info, thanks chaps, just picked up a 2011 R1200GS and want to take care of it. I have extensive experience of Shirlaws (ahem) and remember H&S in Jopps Lane, Aberdeen (do avoid them, story available by PM) but want an independent. I used to use Bob Ballantyne for my 1100GS but I think he must have packed it in by now - shame, 'cos he was brilliant.

Wondering if anyone has recent experience of the service department at Aberdeen's #1 Triumph dealer? Used it twice 6 years ago, and then headed down to Cupar for my bike buying and servicing when I had V-Stroms. As did others in our area.

John - presume you mean Shirlaws. I've used them on and off for years, they serviced my Tiger when I first got it 3 years ago and have MOTd it a couple of times. They're OK most of the time. Trying to take a balanced view, I suppose all garages are variable, I've not had a very bad experience myself but some folk claim to have. I was at their shop once when someone rode in in a blazing mood, they'd collected their bike from the shop a few minutes earlier after a service and at the end of the road the rear brake hose popped off the caliper - it hadn't been reattached properly. What can we realistically deduce from this? I suggest nothing really, oversights happen, bad things happen, mechanics have off-days and get distracted...none of these things are unique to Shirlaws. I'll not be putting my GS there - too dear for my liking.

Ian Macdonald will be Ghiribizzo of this parish. He's not on here much these days, although he's in Freuchie just down the road from us. I'd have no hesitation in recommending Ian's work, especially if you want your bike to have a thorough going over. Ian used to run a Moto-Guzzi shop and was the only guy in Scotland approved by the Guzzi factory to do gearbox repairs.

We see each other quite often and in fact, he left here about an hour ago. So if anyone wants his number, please feel free to PM me and I'll give you his number by return.

As Schtum says totally recommend Ian

He is beside the train station at Ladybank so getting to Aberdoom isn't a problem

I was suggesting easy to get back home, have you seen my bobber yet?

Back
Top Bottom