R1200rt lc battery

JJH

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Needing a bit of help please. Couple of times my new to me RT has failed to start. Dash seems to reset some displays. Alarm turns to off. Logo turns on. Range turns into temp or mpg. All I get is a half turn and then nothing and screen goes blank. Switch off at keylees button switch on and some things on display have changed. Running Voltage according to display is 14.2 which rapidly falls to 12 volts after switching off. I’m stoped about 1 and a half hours and I’m going to check voltage now. Any ideas? Bike is just 2 years old with 10,000 miles. JJH

Voltage is 12.1 now. I’m thinking a 12 volt battery in good condition should be showing higher than that. I have the bike about 3 weeks now and have done over 1000 miles. When I collected the bike the salesman had to jumpstart it. JJH

Fully charged battery should read around 13.2v. A flat battery will read about 12.3v or lower.

It sounds as if the battery is on its way out. Best way to check is to get it load tested. Probably spent a lot of the time sitting on a charger.

This was the reason I went away from BMW's about 10 years ago but back now, and a lot of those problems have been resolved.

Anyway that sounds like the battery is gone and needs replacing, if you don't have a BMW charger I would really recommend getting one, Ebay has some good ones at reasonable prices I got mine for £60 a few months back, I wouldn't be without it and no messing with leads as it plugs directly into 12v socket.

On another note I recently heard from another forum where Lithium batteries are used, sone bikes have them. they need a bit of heat to het them working i.e. on a cold morning leave ignition on for a min then bike will start not problem although without leaving a min the bike is dead. Just a thought.

I really am not convinced by Lithium batterys on these RT's yet. One of the many problems is that when they run out of juice, it is instant.
However, to the OP's problem. You need to go back to the dealer and get them to supply you with a replacement battery. Based on the fact that they had to Jump start it when you got the bike and that it is doing the same now. You don't want to be stuck miles from home with a dead bike. You may still have BMW Roadside assist, but it would be better to resolve the issue on your terms.

Voltage is 12.1 now. I’m thinking a 12 volt battery in good condition should be showing higher than that.

It's about the same as my GS, 12.2v, dropping below 12v when cranking and 14.2/3 when running.

Fires straight away and much quicker than my old hexhead with an Odyssey battery.

I've used a Yuasa in my RT for the last year and it's been spot on even when below 0. I've just came back from a month at sea and it started no problem as if it had only been left a day. Bargain from halfords with a trade card too.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

My battery has just gone tits up too, just over 3 years old and 13k Miles.

Stopped for a pee break and no display or cranking when I returned.

AA jump started it and fitted a capacitor to protect the alternator and I’m now back home and looking for a new battery.

Any recommendations?

I think the LC RT needs to be on trickle charger, there is a lot of electronics there.
My bike gets regular use (with a Yuasa).
Instead of a trickle charger I think I will attach it to an old car battery through my heated vest socket.

I think the LC RT needs to be on trickle charger, there is a lot of electronics there.
My bike gets regular use (with a Yuasa).
Instead of a trickle charger I think I will attach it to an old car battery through my heated vest socket.

It has been on trickle charge.......battery crapped out half way through a 120 mile ride!

My bike is a 2014 model. It rarely sees a trickle charger. But does get used a lot. Battery is still fine

Its still doing it. Dealer is going to have another look. Seems to be hapening moer often now. JJH

Its still doing it. Dealer is going to have another look. Seems to be hapening moer often now. JJH

Finally refused to start this morning. Hopped on bike this morning rode 30km to garage. Filled with petrol and bike wouldn’t start. Really pissed off as I HAVE to be there to relieve night staff after their 13 hour shift. Ring bmw assist and go trough the questions. They then tell me I’d be recovered in 90 minutes. Quite pissed off now as my dealer has obviously got it wrong. Dash shows 10.5 volts. Recovery ring me about 45 minutes later to tell me that some recovery companies are refusing the work as it’s a motorcycle. Did you not know says I. Why to fuck are you wasting time ringing company’s that don’t do bikes? Ring wife who collected me and dropped off. Bike collected at 9. Not too bad I suppose but really annoying as I told the dealer about it 5 months ago. I should have refused to take the bike when I seen him jumping it in the showroom. I hope they don’t try and tell me that it’ll be ok. Gurr jjh

Back
Top Bottom