Willburs +70mm kit

twizzle

Devil may care...
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i'm giving some serious thought to the Willburs +70mm kit..... new Stanchions/Cartridges and Rear Shock... anybody here done a full Willburs refresh??

I'm finding the stock suspension a little harsh and whilst I've never ridden a Willburs shocked bike the reviews seem good??

Thoughts>>??

I had them on my 1100, with +50mm I think. Great shocks, but not sure the drive shaft liked running at that angle, it started to get a wee bit noisy just before I sold it.

I had them on my 1100, with +50mm I think. Great shocks, but not sure the drive shaft liked running at that angle, it started to get a wee bit noisy just before I sold it.

That’s what worries me......

Have you spoken to the guys at Revs Racing? They are very helpful.
There was a guy with a scrambler in there the other day discussing a re shock.

Have you spoken to the guys at Revs Racing? They are very helpful.
There was a guy with a scrambler in there the other day discussing a re shock.

Yep - the kit is via them .. been discussing with John.

That’s what worries me......

The old girl had a few miles on her when I changed the shock, but that made the swing arm angle constantly off-set. After a run down to Spain for the Alto Turia rally I noticed a “thrumming” sound from the shaft. Advice from an old guy there who was an airhead geek was put in earplugs, get good recovery service. I sold it when I got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I went for the rear Wilbers 640 plus 15mm with HT adjustment so that you can play around with the ht plus/minus thereafter and it is a big improvement. So much so my mate with a Turban road mine and immediately ordered the same :D

Later added the Wilbers progressive front springs with their recommended oil and air gap and now very happy with the set up.

Revs as ever very helpful.

Someone over on the R Nine T forum has gone the plus 75mm route and think they liked it - worth doing a search.

Going to order Type 640 Road which now comes with preload adjuster. I'm also thinking about front springs too.

The rear on my Sport is way too hard, I can't get a decent amount of sag adjustment, 22mm max when others are getting 32 - 34mm. No amount of fiddling with the settings has made any difference to the ride.

What difference has the front spring/oil replacement made ? bearing in mind there is no adjustment on my forks (unlike the later 2017 models).

Going to order Type 640 Road which now comes with preload adjuster. I'm also thinking about front springs too.

The rear on my Sport is way too hard, I can't get a decent amount of sag adjustment, 22mm max when others are getting 32 - 34mm. No amount of fiddling with the settings has made any difference to the ride.

What difference has the front spring/oil replacement made ? bearing in mind there is no adjustment on my forks (unlike the later 2017 models).

Progressive springs are considered old hat now but on my Scrambler they have made the front both more compliant and composed. The standard Scrambler set up uses a very small air gap with the Wilbers set up using a more normal 150mm air gap.

All that said, the Wilbers shocks were really, really good. I'd say better than the Ohlins I had (bring out the pitchforks!)

I received one of the Wilber 640 model rear shocks with the 25mm lift when I was home last month from Revs. Haven’t got it fitted yet but I am hopeful it will make the bike a bit more compliant.

Stumbled into this due to Wilbers! I had my F650 Twin fully upgraded at revs last year 640 plus remote pre load and progressive springs in the forks.

I cant comment on an Rnine T but as a business John and Nick really know their stuff. As a product it has been faultless ride is transformed no diving from the front. The weave / bobbing after high speed bumps has gone.

Wilburs Revs 640 all thumbs up from me.

Thanks Paul, have had a quick scan and it looks like you can achieve the ride height with a GSA Shock and Fork Extenders, although this does not overcome any harshness from the front... unless you buy cartridges I guess... more research required..... thanks so far.

It’s my R nine T Urban G/S in that thread. The GS or GSA Nitron shock was s big improvement over the Urbans standard shock and being tall wanted the taller stance. I found it sharpened the steering a tad which I liked and the plusher rear end seemed to calm the front down too.

It’s my R nine T Urban G/S in that thread. The GS or GSA Nitron shock was s big improvement over the Urbans standard shock and being tall wanted the taller stance. I found it sharpened the steering a tad which I liked and the plusher rear end seemed to calm the front down too.

This is my old girl ‘Urban’ now. :thumb

Attachments

• 98E94B6B-A5A0-4CD6-804B-A5AFD88DCC07.jpg
    98E94B6B-A5A0-4CD6-804B-A5AFD88DCC07.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 237
Where the Fork Extenders a "one off" for the Africa Twin, or is someone selling them???

With the GSA Shock did you need to modify the Side Stand?

Cheers

Where the Fork Extenders a "one off" for the Africa Twin, or is someone selling them???

With the GSA Shock did you need to modify the Side Stand?

Cheers
Luis moto now sell fork extenders. No improvement on stock obviously but they do balance the height if you’re fitting a longer rear shock.
With a 75mm seat height raise I’ve seen 50mm longer sidestand recommended.

Back
Top Bottom