London to Glasglow Route Recommendation

bikernick

Reaction score
I plan to ride from London to Glasglow. And want to Google map recommends 2 routes via A1 and via M6. I wonder which of these are the better option in your experience. Any other route recommendations are welcomed. I do fancy beautiful winding road a lot.

Thanks

Which part of Scotland and do you want to use motorways at all or a more scenic route as much as possible?

How long have you got to ride up and down again and are you planning to overnight each way?

I guess he means the part of Scotland that Glasgow is in !

Here you go.

Route sorted !

b1f5d2ae605b7ae66dc08bef7725b9f1.png

How long do you want to take? If I am going north and I had the choice I would go v early and kill the distance up the M40 M6 toll and M6 to breakfast at Tebay. If I am coming from Sussex I go M25, M11 and A14, up to Scotch Corner and across to the M6, breakfasting at Mains Gill just after Scotch Corner on the A66. Both equally nasty but get the job done.

If its busy I avoid the A1 option....too many two lane roads where muppets block the offside lane for mile after mile, be they trucks doing 5 mile overtakes or just ordinary muppets.

The A1 is better. I loathe the M6. How long do you plan to take to complete the run? 800 miles in ?? days. I did by car once in the middle of the night. At least there wasn't much traffic.
You could takee a week and find some lanes to do on the way. Choices choices.

Thanks guys! Sorry I didn't give all the detail.

I actually have 2 weeks if I want to spend all my free days on the road. But my plan is to drive up fast - maybe 1-2 days, spend 3-5 days in Glasglow and take a little more time along the way back.
I also thought maybe I can take A1 up and M6 on the way back (or another way around) but not sure if it's a good idea.

Oh by the way, I'm buying a new tent and want to take it with me on this trip. So, suggestions on the route that is camping-friendly would be nice.

How long do you want to take? If I am going north and I had the choice I would go v early and kill the distance up the M40 M6 toll and M6 to breakfast at Tebay. If I am coming from Sussex I go M25, M11 and A14, up to Scotch Corner and across to the M6, breakfasting at Mains Gill just after Scotch Corner on the A66. Both equally nasty but get the job done.

If its busy I avoid the A1 option....too many two lane roads where muppets block the offside lane for mile after mile, be they trucks doing 5 mile overtakes or just ordinary muppets.

Great input. Thank you !

Its too big a route to handle in one go and too many options. I would suggest splitting it into 4 or 5 sections each way aiming to stop off for something at the end of each leg and planning it that way. So your North route might be something like (1) London to Peterborough and Breakfast at ???. (2) Peterborough to York and lunch at ??? (3) York to Newcastle and Dinner (perhaps overnight) (4) Newcastle to Glasgow. Do something similar for the return legs South but keeping more to the West.

The good biker areas with beautiful winding roads that I know of where its hard to go wrong are The Peak District - although 50mph limit virtually everywhere, Yorkshire Dales, North Yorks Moors, North Pennines to Kielder and onto the Scottish Borders, and Dumfries and Galloway esp Galloway Forest Park area. Although everywhere has some good winding roads with a bit of planning - Leicestershire/Rutland/Notts being an area I stumbled onto some good roads. I would avoid the main Lake District if its a weekend as its just too busy - the western and eastern fringes should be OK though and to get through the Preston/Wigan/Warrington conurbation the M6 really is the only viable route even it's almost at gridlock.

Hot spots for biker meets up my way include Devils Bridge, Kirkby Lonsdale; Pennygarth Cafe, Hawes; Hartside Pass cafe (at the top of the best road in the country - burned down a while ago not sure what's there now); Cafe at St Mary's Loch Scots borders, Duke of Buccleuch in Moffat, Squires Cafe, near Leeds; Various cafes in Helmsdale N Yorks Moors. There's more. Do some research. http://www.thebikerguide.co.uk/

Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom