Still won't start.......

Hi o wise ones.
Tried both injectors no voltage Tried both injectors no voltage took off both injectors and petrol pisses out when you crank it

Lest keep it simple

Injectors removed - ignition on & starter pressed do you get fuel comming out from the injectors Y / N

Disconnect power to injectors - with ignition on & starter pressed do you get a 12V pulse on the power feed Y /N

from what i can work out, all youve proved is your getting fuel via fule pump to the injector - but the injectors arnt working

You still need to finish the injector diagnosis --

Step 1 & 2

Remove the fuel line at the injector. Put the end in a container etc, turn on the ignition, does fuel pump out ?

Unplug the fuel injector electrical plug, put a test meter or bulb meter across the two terminals, ignition on and press starter button, are the injectors plugs getting an electrical pulse ?

Hi o wise ones.
Tried both injectors no voltage took off both injectors and petrol pisses out when you crank it.

What's next chaps - thanks.
Can you do EXACTLY what Steptoe says and let us know the results.... it’s not the injectors you are testing, it’s the cable going to them, you crank the starter when testing the injector PLUG.
Also, don’t remove the injectors, you remove the pipe going to them then JUST turn the ignition on, no need to press the starter on this part of the test.

I don’t mean to be argumentative but a better fuel flow test is to open the fuel RETURN line at the QD (quick disconnect), push in the check valve on the fuel distributor side of the open QD, and then see if you get fuel flow in the return line when the key is turned on.

If you measure at the injector, there is no pressure built in the line and you will get copious amounts of fuel even if an in-tank hose is split. By measuring at the RETURN QD you can tell that there’s fuel flow under pressure.

And if you need to, you can measure the return fuel flow at idle, which should be about 2 liters per minute. That will confirm enough fuel flow at wide open throttle.

Just do Stepper’s fuel test without a catch bottle and add a lighted match.

Sorted.

PS can I have your starter motor before it’s all too crispy.

I don’t mean to be argumentative but a better fuel flow test is to open the fuel RETURN line at the QD (quick disconnect), push in the check valve on the fuel distributor side of the open QD, and then see if you get fuel flow in the return line when the key is turned on.

If you measure at the injector, there is no pressure built in the line and you will get copious amounts of fuel even if an in-tank hose is split. By measuring at the RETURN QD you can tell that there’s fuel flow under pressure.

And if you need to, you can measure the return fuel flow at idle, which should be about 2 liters per minute. That will confirm enough fuel flow at wide open throttle.

He has an electrical problem. That was the point of the test. Not to measure the quantity of fuel..

We now have a line in the sand where we can work from. Could be more than one problem, but one thing at a time..

I agree, and usually one debugging set of instructions at a time is best too. I’ll grab some popcorn and head for the easy chair.

Ok here goes...........

Lest keep it simple

Injectors removed - ignition on & starter pressed do you get fuel comming out from the injectors Y / N- tiny small amount barely perceptible amount for a fraction of a second and not again despite trying 5 times on both sides.

Disconnect power to injectors - with ignition on & starter pressed do you get a 12V pulse on the power feed Y /N - no multimeter sees nothing.......

from what i can work out, all youve proved is your getting fuel via fule pump to the injector - but the injectors arnt working

You still need to finish the injector diagnosis -- whats next?

Motronic ??

Can you recommend anyone to source a replacement ?

Anyone recondition them ??

Looks like a simple swapout - why take to a mechanic........

Just need a recommendation of supplier.....

I'm guessing he meant more in your diagnosis of the motronic? Isn't the hall sensor responsible for the injector pulse?

Thats been swapped / checked with an LED and appears to be working, I cant see what else it may be - but happy to keep checking just need pointers.

Fuel pump primes up/spins ok , side stand switch looks OK on the multimeter, display lights/goes out with the Kill switch, Battery and starter motor have been swapped, 4 new spark plugs checked all 4 no sparks before of after swapping the HES.

Relays swapped around to confirm working (Horn and Motronic are the same) all the fuses are OK.

Where next apart from motronic.

When you replaced the HES, did you replace the whole unit or just the sensors? Could be a wiring fault further up depending on where you were testing with the LED.

So that's it ....... Teddy firmly out the pram ???

Why not just give all the steps and ill work through them instead of this drawn out method.

Ive changed tested most things so please just share the knowledge - thanks !

From what I can see you have been given a set of simple instructions by people who work on these machines daily in order to rule out more likely causes, before moving on to the ones less likely. Its not a "drawn out method", it is simple common sense, and an age-old diagnostic procedure. Instead you are jumping from one thing to another, ignoring good advice, and now acting affronted when those people who are trying to help you (for free) get bored of repeating themselves.

You have no electrical signal to your injectors (if your testing can be trusted), which suggests the HES, a rather common failure. Dont just assume that because its new(ish) that its working. Focus your testing here and make damn sure its working before you suspect the motronic, these are not very prone to failure.

I've had the led connected and it goes on / off as per test procedure - so in isolation looks ok. Injectors were tried with a digital meter and the led no voltage/light seen.

Went over all connections for the wiring no corrosion seen and could not see any pinched or broken wires visually. What other tests would be recommended next - thanks.

Ps For info this bikes only done 10015 miles as a sunny Sunday ride. Only water seen is from a bucket.

Back
Top Bottom