Still won't start.......

robsonthejob

Reaction score
Hi see thread - http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/470791-GS-1150-won-t-start

So I've swapped
Starter motor
Battery
He's sensors
Checked all fuses
Swapped horn/fuel pump/motronic relays

Still won't start.

Turn ignition on
Fuel pump wires away
Try to start it and nothing.
It turns over pretty fast but no sparks and no sign of petrol on the plugs (all 4 are new).

So I'm out of ideas a BMW diagnostic seems my only route. Any other ideas ?

Remove the fuel line at the injector. Put the end in a container etc, turn on the ignition, does fuel pump out ?

Unplug the fuel injector electrical plug, put a test meter or bulb meter across the two terminals, ignition on and press starter button, are the injectors plugs getting an electrical pulse ?

Remove the fuel line at the injector. Put the end in a container etc, turn on the ignition, does fuel pump out ?

Unplug the fuel injector electrical plug, put a test meter or bulb meter across the two terminals, ignition on and press starter button, are the injectors plugs getting an electrical pulse ?

Stop it with your fault diagnosis nonsense.
He wants to know what part to swap out next.

When we crank it over there is no sparks or fuel on the other plugs so has to be electrical.

You have to earth the plug in order to complete the circuit so it will fire. Engine case or bolt will do with the plug removed.

The future is whatever colour you want.

No immobilizer, Yes we earthed the plugs to the cylinder head.

We tried the 2 coil pack ones and the ones underneath that have a traditional coil.

Sunny weather is killing me not having a bike to use :-( ...........

OK then back to the top

SSBB Suck Squeeze Bang Blow

Suck- have you got induction / air fuel going in?

Squeeze - Have you got adequate compression

Bang - have you got ignition

Blow - have you got exhaust - gasses out of the engine exhaust

I'll assume Suck is ok

Squeeze
Have you checked compession - are the valves opening closing ?
Plugs wet?

Bang - no ignition

Now i dont know whether oil heads are points and rotor coil etc or digital ignition so ill cover both

Points - gap ok not burnt out ? lift cam not worn away static timing correct? power to points, power away from points ?

High tension wires to coil ok low tension ok? continuity etc

plug leads not broken down - plugs ok

Stator ok not burnt out one winding / alternator ok

Blow is pretty strigh forward, put you hand over the end of the exhaust.

can you feel the exhaust pulses from the engine?

HTH not trying to tell you how to suck eggs

OH - one final thing

Check you ignition swith and kill switch are working properly,

It would nt be the first time - and done assume there ok because they were working when you left it

Edit just seen your first post --

No fuel !

that suggests the fuel pump / lift pump either is airlocked or is not pulling fuel or no power or the injectors are blocked / broken

Forget the sparks until you get fuel into the cylinders sod all is going to make it run

Hi - This all started with a dodgy starter motor.

The compression is fine , its turning over fine voltage is good while its cranking.

But all 3 coils and both injectors would not fail at the same time.

We have had the multi-meter on the side stand switch and look sok.

If you hit the kill switch part the dash turns off and when turned back on the fuel pump spools up again.

So this leads me to believe it has to be a common component.

Only things i haven't checked are the clutch switch as its a pain to get to.

Fuel pump and motronic relays work as rotated with the horn relay (same model relay)

so thats the last thing the clutch switch - after that its glue factory time for this steed.............

Hi - This all started with a dodgy starter motor.

The compression is fine , its turning over fine voltage is good while its cranking.

But all 3 coils and both injectors would not fail at the same time.

We have had the multi-meter on the side stand switch and look sok.

If you hit the kill switch part the dash turns off and when turned back on the fuel pump spools up again.

So this leads me to believe it has to be a common component.

Only things i haven't checked are the clutch switch as its a pain to get to.

Fuel pump and motronic relays work as rotated with the horn relay (same model relay)

so thats the last thing the clutch switch - after that its glue factory time for this steed.............

Can i suggest you stop and concetrate on what you havnt got

Fuel to the injectors!

As in my previous post, you can have all the sparks you like but with no fuel its never going to run.

Steptoe told you how to verify the injectors are working? have you done that? what were the results

Sorry if you have already tried this and probably have but, plugs ? Have you tried new ones regardless if you're getting a spark with old ones.

Steptoe told you how to verify the injectors are working? have you done that? what were the results

Once we get a yes or no we can then move into the next test, it's how you diagnose a problem, one thing at a time starting with the basic, but until then feck it, let's carry on going around in circles :D

You have spark but do you have the stuff to make the bang :D

Welcome to the merry go round.

You have spark but do you have the stuff to make the bang :D

Welcome to the merry go round.

He says in post 1 no sparks and no petrol...

I would be listening very carefully to any advice/knowledge that Steptoe puts forward... Most definnnately…;)

Is it in gear ?

Or does it think it's in gear?

OP, are you absolutely sure the HES is good? I got lost somewhere, so not sure whether you bought new, soldered in new sensors, or got a used part.

Sounds like you probably have fuel pressure if the pump is spooling up, but best to follow Steptoe's fault finding logic to get to the root of the problem.

I'm currently looking for a suitably high enough window to jump out of.

Back
Top Bottom