Top Box Conundrum

larry123

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the top box that came with my BMW R1200 GS Adventure. It's shipping water that is pooling in the bottom. I've got experience with these basic aluminium boxes. They are pretty much bomb proof. I've been through deluges on my old bike with the same type box. Condensation and a little bit of water is normal. This is a couple of inches, if I leave it out for a while. BMW are worse than useless. I asked for suggestions on fixing it, and the first thing out of the techs mouth was that they leak and BMW is not responsible. Nobody in that organisation gives two .. and bizarrely there is no one to complain to about it outside of their organisation. All in very frustrating and the last thing I would have expected from BMW. Live and learn.

It's not a bottom seal, because the water doesn't drain. The only thing I can think is to pull the rivets, take the plastic off the lid and base, and look for a crack. If I can't find a crack, I guess the plastic moulding is somehow deformed. There are zero defects that I can see by just looking at it. Nothing is bent. This started around January. Anyone have experience with this or any other suggestions? :eek::confused:

Sell it and get another if you like them.
Or as you suggest just go over all the joints with fresh silicon sealant.

Drill a couple of tiny holes in the corner of the base to allow the water to drain away.

My dude cases were ok when new but they inevitably got bumped and now they are far from waterproof.

The top case is ok but I find it’s just too small so fitted a Givi Trekker case. It has much better weather seals, holds all my tat for work commutes and the bike is big enough to not look like mobile luggage. It also holds helmet & gloves so there’s less to carry into the office.

I would suggest placing some absorbent paper towel around the box,close the lid and run a hose pipe around it to see where its leaking.Spray a bit open the lid and check then spray again , Id suggest its pooling somewhere and getting past the seal. Did you check they are all seated correctly?

Get a piece of chalk and draw a few lines round the inside. As above, shut the lid and hose it down. You'll soon see where its getting in.

Me and my big mouth!!!
I just shelled out on a black GSA Ali top box for my bike. Feckin thing leaks like a bloody sieve!!! Got it delivered from Germany so I'm buggered if I'm going to all the grief and cost of returning it just to pay for another to be sent which will probably leak too.

Looks like a silicone bodge job on the horizon.....

Back
Top Bottom