2016 1190 Adventure R

RFOZ

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know what the 2016 list price was for the 1190R?

Thanks

Oz

I know the 1190S was £13995 (Because mine was £10995 with £3k off) and typically the R models are about a grand more - so probably about £15k.

Not sure why it matters now though, unless you have a time machine?

Couple of pre-registered 2016 1190R's floating about still.
Wondering what the right price to pay for one is..an if it's the right choice over a newer one!?

Warranty obviously runs out in November which should bring the price down..but by how much?

Warranty obviously runs out in November which should bring the price down..but by how much?

Is that definitely the case?

The norm is that if you buy a pre-registered bike that's 6 months old you would still get a 24 month warranty from the date of change of owner due to it being unused

It'd have to be half price for me to want to take the risk on a KTM :D

Not in my experience with pre-reg, warranty clock starts ticking from the day the bike is registered.

I would look at the price of the 1090R as a guide, when the 1190 got dropped it was replaced by the 1090 / 1290 models, one being higher spec and the other lower.

The 1290R is about £15k so the pre-reg probably looks like a real bargain against one of those, but the 1290 had a few upgrades over and above the slightly bigger engine (More things to go wrong) with the Keyless Ignition, TFT Screen and Cruise Control. So much more than a face-lift and new colours.

The 1090R sits a bit below the 1190R in that it does not have lean sensitive ABS and is down on power (125 vs 150) but in the real world it has a decent amount of power, I often swap between my 1090S and 1190S and really do not find the 1090 weedy, it does lack the mid range thump of the 1190, but it pulls well below 5k then has a small flat spot before pulling into a decent top end.

From what I have read from other owners (advrider) the 1090R has much better suspension than the 1190R, especially for off-road use, if that is your intended use I would really look at a 1090R deal rather than buy the 1190 because it looks like a bargain. Having said that a few folk around here have owned the 1190R and are probably far better placed to tell you about what they are like.

The fact the pre-reg is "new" when you buy it will do nothing to prop up its value after you have owned it a while, it will be worth no more than any other bikes registered at the same time with similar mileage.

I would look at the going rate for low mileage immaculate 1190's registered at the same time and then maybe add £750 - £1,000 to take into account it has never been used and everything on it is factory fresh.....

...but if that puts it close to 1090R money then I would try and do a deal on a 1090R, unless the extra power is really a big factor for you.

Maybe get a test ride on a 1090 first, this is very much the dna of the 1190, just lacking a chunk of power, but riding position and handling will be very similar.

Is that definitely the case?

The norm is that if you buy a pre-registered bike that's 6 months old you would still get a 24 month warranty from the date of change of owner due to it being unused

It'd have to be half price for me to want to take the risk on a KTM :D
I bought a GSA pre reg and the warranty started from when i got it.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies!
The 1190 does do it for me with regards to the extra power over the 1090 and the points you made about the even more complex 1290 turn me away from that. (Though maybe I should test ride a 1090..)
I phoned and asked about the warranty which started from the pre-register date.
It's on eBay listed by (KTM) Drysdale motorcycles in Scotland. Advertised at £11,000 still which is why I imagine it's still sat there?
As a comparison there is the 1190 advertised on this forum at £9300 (stock) now I believe with 2200 miles on. £1800 more for a zero mile bike.....??

I bought a GSA pre reg and the warranty started from when i got it.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

That would be because you get 2 years warranty on all approved used BMW bikes which this would be classed as - not the same with KTM's.

As a comparison there is the 1190 advertised on this forum at £9300 (stock) now I believe with 2200 miles on. £1800 more for a zero mile bike.....??

Will start off by declaring a bit of vested interest as the bike mentioned is the one I have up in the for sale section. Don't forget the pre- reg in Drysdales won't come with heated grips and sump guard so you can add another £300 + fitting to your £1800 comparison costs, or haggle hard to get them to include them in the deal. :thumb

Thanks for all the replies!
The 1190 does do it for me with regards to the extra power over the 1090 and the points you made about the even more complex 1290 turn me away from that. (Though maybe I should test ride a 1090..)
I phoned and asked about the warranty which started from the pre-register date.
It's on eBay listed by (KTM) Drysdale motorcycles in Scotland. Advertised at £11,000 still which is why I imagine it's still sat there?

Sorry, when you said

Couple of pre-registered 2016 1190R's floating about still

I thought you had found a dealer with more than one in stock ;)

You can get a new 1090 for less than £10k now and a new 1090 R for less than the cost of the pre-registered 1190 R in chilly jock-o-land

If I were you and you have set your heart on an R variant then I'd find a dealer who has a demo 1090 R and a used 1190 R in stock that you can ride back to back for comparison purposes :thumb

With the extras accounted for the difference works out at about £1 a mile....

...I have done 10,000 miles on my 1190S in 2 years, I would lose about £3k if I sold it right now, so about 30p a mile, makes the £1800 look a bit high in that context, or put another way by the time you have done 2,000 miles you would of lost the £1800 (or more) and still be on a £9k bike without any warranty.

I would want to pay no more than new 1090 money for the pre-reg 1190 myself, as stated above go and ride both, if you really prefer the 1190 then try and haggle it down to 1090 money.

I paid just under £8k for a 2016 1190S with 8700 miles, full luggage, heated grips. One owner bike (was KTM UK, so was probably ragged/probably well looked after - depending on your outlook). Had dealer fit rider heated ergo seat and that took it to just over the £8k mark.

What I'm trying to say is, you'd be better off looking for a low milage bike with some extras for even less money. Even with a discounted pre reg bike, by the time you've ridden out the dealer car park, you've lost a fair percentage on it already. I'd never buy a new bike again unless it was on some 0% deal.

Here's mine, to help make your mind up...

D.

IMG_20180214_163602 by deksawyer, on Flickr

You're all supposed to say go and buy the new one!!
Sensible GS riders at heart the lot of you! ;)

I do however totally agree and take onboard your points. I suppose the impending doom of having unfiltered air on the 1190's concerns me as well...edging towards the new one but in the same sense unless it's been through a desert....
Before I bought my GS I was looking at these 1190's and a pre-owned one came up. 2015, 8500 miles advertised at £9k..haggled down to £8.5k with full touratech/ktm luggage etc. Should've bought it..equally the time wasn't right then.
What to do..

Airbox was fixed from 2015, so why worry about something that isn't there..?

D.

Airbox was fixed from 2015, so why worry about something that isn't there..?

I think "Improved" would be more accurate, but considering people used to run bikes with open bellmouth carbs I do not know whey everyone thinks an early 1190 will immediately blow up?

I think the only people to experience major problems with early ones was those who rode them in deserts all the time, or Ausies who spent most of their time on dusty outback trails, I am not sure anyone in Western Europe had a big problem....

...although I personally would avoid a 13/14 to be on the safe side, especially if considering clocking up huge mileages, and if I wanted to ride in the desert I would look at an aftermarket solution (a couple of those out there)

My 2015 registered 1190S is a bike from 2013, so supposedly it's on borrowed time......

However, it's had the uprated starter motor fitted and when the dealer did the recent main valve service I did enquire as to the state of the airbox, seeing as it was an early model and obviously a dust trap............they couldn't find any trace of crap in the airbox and just replaced the filter as per normal. If it had been used across a desert things may be different but on Devon tarmac roads it wasn't going to look like it had been taken through a quarry inside that airbox, so I'd say it wouldn't be a big concern.

Of course, you're looking at an R model so any used one may well have been taken on the trails. I wasn't, so I trusted my instincts that the guy who owned it from new was just a tarmac scratcher. If you buy a used one from a dealer, you won't get to judge the owner, which I reckon helps when deciding whether to buy.

Back
Top Bottom