So - 33 miles till empty

For me I filled at 1 mile range and put in 18.6 litres. I'm guessing that other 1.4 litres is good for 15 miles max.

320 miles into a steady commuting week, hello M25 hard shoulder, RAC embarrassment and £15 to the (very nice) RAC man....

I get 212miles from a tank to empty (max) my 40 mile warning comes on at 160miles and I fill up based on that range

In my experience BMWs quoted tank size is always less than what it will hold. 17 liters into a f800 st 36 into a 2009 gsa 27 into a f800 gsa 21 into a gs I forget what I got into a RT with the filler mod around 29? And I’ve yet to try my l/c RT. I never bothered trying my sadly traded in l/c GSA. JJH

320 miles into a steady commuting week, hello M25 hard shoulder, RAC embarrassment and £15 to the (very nice) RAC man....

Should've laid the bike over into the L/h cylinder head, wait 19 seconds and then lift it back up - might have then got you to the next petrol station

In my experience BMWs quoted tank size is always less than what it will hold. 17 liters into a f800 st 36 into a 2009 gsa 27 into a f800 gsa 21 into a gs I forget what I got into a RT with the filler mod around 29? And I’ve yet to try my l/c RT. I never bothered trying my sadly traded in l/c GSA. JJH

Filler mod. Tell me more please, oh, my max has been 266.5 to a tankful of Frances finest super 95.

On the air cooled models there are a few things you can do. The simplest one is open the filler cap and there is a tube projecting down into the tank. On the end of the tube is a rubber ring which makes the tube longer. If you remove the the rubber it allows another bit of petrol into the tank before the fuel nozzle shuts off. Of course you can stand there for a half hour dribbling more fuel in. The next stage is to either remove the tube or drill it. It must be remembered that the tube is there for a reason. What’s it for? You ask well the answer is to stop you filling the tank to full. The petrol is stored underground and is quite cold. When it warms up in your tank it expands so that is why BMW have engineered a liter or 2 of unusable space in the tank. My rationale is that I never fill the tank and leave the bike just sitting there. So I will have removed enough fuel before it expands to fill that space. JJH

I haven’t tried the range on my l/c RT yet. The best I’ve got is 305 miles for I think 24.5 liters with range showing 0 left for 3 miles. Distences are aproximate as my bike is in kms. It shows mpg at 57.5 but I’ve measured it on a couple of occasions at 55.5. I’m happy with that. JJH

My GSA with its Power Commander generally does mid 40s mpg. A remap would do a fair bit better but its adequate as its mostly motorways or town driving that always use more fuel. A road cruising would be a lot better. The tank holds at least 35 litres. The only sure way to know your tank capacity/mileage is run it dry.

Litres over here, if you please. Not fecking liters.

My 2010 GSA was not giving the expected mileage and I could hear fuel in the right hand side tank. Having read similar problems I changed the fuel pump for an uprated one, £20 on line, that promised 30% more flow for the same pressure. This has totally cured the problem. I can now rely on the bike to deliver 350 miles per tank full, tested over a month long tour of Spain and Portugal. An unexpected side effect is that the bike definitely feels more responsive. I believe the pumps get tired and are able to just about run the injectors but can't properly pull all the fuel over from the right hand tank at the same time.

My 2010 GSA was not giving the expected mileage and I could hear fuel in the right hand side tank. Having read similar problems I changed the fuel pump for an uprated one, £20 on line, that promised 30% more flow for the same pressure. This has totally cured the problem. I can now rely on the bike to deliver 350 miles per tank full, tested over a month long tour of Spain and Portugal. An unexpected side effect is that the bike definitely feels more responsive. I believe the pumps get tired and are able to just about run the injectors but can't properly pull all the fuel over from the right hand tank at the same time.

The fuel system is highly complex with the ECU controlling pump speed/power via the fuel tank level and pump controller. Mine has been inconsistent regards tank emptying with older and new fuel pumps. However a fuel pump controller bypass wire should prove it as the pump will be running without interference from the ECU. If that won't fully empty the tank, you need a new pump.

Should've laid the bike over into the L/h cylinder head, wait 19 seconds and then lift it back up - might have then got you to the next petrol station

A well known reserve tank and get out of jail free card or us older tossers. :D

Haven’t bothered with any filler mods yet. JJH

The remove rubber from bottom of filler neck takes 5 seconds, this had a minimal effect. Drilled the filler neck and this gets me 20-25 extra range on my 2005 GS so worth the 30 minutes it took.

Had a week of going M42/M6/M5 and back through mostly 60's, 50's, and the dreaded M5 30's.

The dash is currently showing 279 miles, 65.7mpg, and it has done 19 miles since 0 range. I'll update when it has finally coughed to a halt.

I filled it at zero on monday and it took 18.6 litres.

This is all very odd. I get well over 320 miles out of a tank full. What am I doing wrong?

Please tell me that you're riding a GSA? The last 300 miles on m GS at 65mpg have been unavoidable, and mind numbingly boring !!!

Back
Top Bottom