Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for collective thoughts and advice

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Schtum View Post
    My 2013 GS ate its rear pads in less than 3K miles and I replaced them with red Brembo ones. If I remember correctly, part of the issue is down to the way the semi-linked brakes operate. Using the front brake lever applies the rear brake before the front ones. Light pressure on the front brake lever only applies the rear without the front being applied. So if you habitually brake early, using only a light application, as you might do in an urban environment, you're using only the rear brake. However, none of that applies to me as I live in a rural setting, don't comfort brake and ride pretty hard and yet the rear pads were trashed at about 2.5K miles....
    Wonder what the difference is though as many have had their pads last much longer. As I posted above, mine are still going strong after 25,000klms

Quote Originally Posted by EVskij View Post
    My GSA is likely to be from same dealer as yours, since March last year my bike has covered just under 11k miles and has original pads all round. However I was told last time round that rears will need changing at 12k service. Might go with Brembo pads due to silly OEM cost.

There has to be something else. Question is, do you get going hard with plenty GSAP action? What riding mode do you run it it most of the time? I am not sure how system works but I understand that Traction Control works (detection) through ABS system, allot of hard acceleration in say Rain or Road mode would cause TC to kick in (anti wheelie) via rear brake. Perhaps you not realising and resting your foot on the brake ever so slightly causing it to drag?

I was thinking this as well, especially about resting your foot on the brake pedal without knowing? - also that there could be air in the front brake so the rear is doing a lot more of the work than it should as the front is slowing you less due to sponginess?

Being on your 3rd set of pads in under 9k miles is not normal - going through pads quicker than tyres is defiantly not right, same for the rear disk.

All I can suggest is that given the circumstances you ask them to totally dismantle, clean, and service the front and rear brakes, fit the new disk and pads at cost, and see where you go from there. This should be covered by warranty ideally, and I understand they may feel you have your foot on the brake but don't want to call you on it as it cannot be proven, but either way - something is not right.

James
    BMW K1600 GT LE

I've just put a new set in (EBC HH again) as I was replacing the disc. I bought the bike at 14.5k miles and have no knowledge of replacements before this point, except the disc was not new at time of purchase. The bike is now just shy of 30k and the disc was down to 4.4mm and the pads around 5k miles. The pads could have gone back in if I was being tight as they were probably not half worn, but for what they cost why bother? Yours pads and disc are wearing much quicker than I have experienced on this or previous BMW with linked brakes.

The pad doesn't start with much friction material in the first instance (maybe 3mm?), it could be they're being cautious. From memory the disc starts at 5mm and reaches the service limit at 4.5mm - what is the thickness of yours?

A quick question. Why not do them yourself? They are really quite easy to do - no more than 15 minutes. The caliper doesn't need to be removed to change the pads.

You changing the pads and disc won't affect the warranty as they're consumables.

I recomend that you keep your relationship with your dealer as amicable as poss, dont go public with this as it can backfire. Be firm but not arsey about it, shouty emails just annoy people and lose any good will and put them on the defensive
    Brake pads and discs should last at least the service interval, if not, the vehicle becomes unsafe due to a design fault, it should be a warranty issue.

My 2013 GS ate its rear pads in less than 3K miles and I replaced them with red Brembo ones. If I remember correctly, part of the issue is down to the way the semi-linked brakes operate. Using the front brake lever applies the rear brake before the front ones. Light pressure on the front brake lever only applies the rear without the front being applied. So if you habitually brake early, using only a light application, as you might do in an urban environment, you're using only the rear brake. However, none of that applies to me as I live in a rural setting, don't comfort brake and ride pretty hard and yet the rear pads were trashed at about 2.5K miles....
    Sure on the Nav V it tells you, under one of the settings, how much you use the front vs the rear brake. I rarely used my back brake, or so I thought, but it said I used it 4x more than the front. I must brake like a right daisy

I have an older bike but at 20k miles still have original pads. I have been watching rears closely as they are well worn and I have spares ready. What I have noticed is that the last 20% has taken forever! They wore quickly to start then settled. I put it down to the fact that there is much less play in the tolerance with new pads and they are probably rubbing on the disc most of the time hence the wear. Once worn there is far more tolerance and so the vibes etc can push the pads of the disc.
    Lastly, they can print off from your on-board computer a report which will show exactly how you use your brakes - percentages front and rear - no of seconds front and rear and also no of times abs activated and for how long. At least they used to be able to as i used to get the printout with every service. Ask for this.
    2011 GS Triple Black
    2018 Cube Cross One 500 e-bike. Triple Black

Quote Originally Posted by OldCroc View Post
    I have an older bike but at 20k miles still have original pads. I have been watching rears closely as they are well worn and I have spares ready. What I have noticed is that the last 20% has taken forever! They wore quickly to start then settled. I put it down to the fact that there is much less play in the tolerance with new pads and they are probably rubbing on the disc most of the time hence the wear. Once worn there is far more tolerance and so the vibes etc can push the pads of the disc.
    Lastly, they can print off from your on-board computer a report which will show exactly how you use your brakes - percentages front and rear - no of seconds front and rear and also no of times abs activated and for how long. At least they used to be able to as i used to get the printout with every service. Ask for this.
    Interesting, I have the latest ISTA+ dealer software at home but don't see any brake reports like you described.

2016 gs rear pads changed at 17000 miles,still had a bit to go tbh as well

Did you have the position of the brake pedal adjusted?

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Interesting, I have the latest ISTA+ dealer software at home but don't see any brake reports like you described.
    Not had one for a while I must say. I will have a look through my papers and see if I kept a report.
    2011 GS Triple Black
    2018 Cube Cross One 500 e-bike. Triple Black

That seems to be what the service manager tried to say in his email reply....altho he stated 'I'm led to believe..' I'd have thought he would have found out exactly how the system worked before replying. Pretty unprofessional.

Quote Originally Posted by ®win View Post
    Did you have the position of the brake pedal adjusted?
    +1 to this.. has someone been messing with the rear brake adjustment screw?.. at rest, there must be a gap (think its 1mm) between the pedal arm and frame... if not then it can cause the rear brake to rub

2017 R1200GS TE 6500 miles original pads

GS-911 shows brake actuations

2016 GSA TE. 8900 miles...7800 of them 2 up with luggage..original pads.

Original rear pads. Changed at 7500mls. Only changed them as I have a 2k+ mile trip looming,2 up, and didn’t fancy changing them whilst away if needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Bloody mud ruts! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Bike bought at 15,000 miles now on 28,300 not changed the pads yet, used mainly for committing, I use the back and I finger tip brake on the front. The bike has been covered in all sorts of shite from offroad use and the brakes work fine.

Your either dragging the back brake with your foot position and not realising, the caliper is not retracting properly or the valves in the ABS are not working properly.

It can only be one of those three things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast