We are based just 30 minutes from Malaga airport in the heart of one of the best adventure riding areas in the world. With Morocco and Portugal on our doorstep many forms of riding holiday can be arranged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spain, Nav6 saftey camera alerts

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Spain, Nav6 saftey camera alerts

Probably been asked a thousand times before, going to Spain and have a nav 6 with speed camera installed.
    Are the gps based alerts legal in Spain or are all types of speed camera warnings banned.

I would want to know when I am approaching an accident blackspot so would take my chances and keep it turned on

As with most motoring offences, they are only illegal if you get caught. Worry more about:

Crossing unbroken white lines

Speeding

The drink-drive limit

Your limited knowledge of the sacking of the Spanish manager on the eve of the World Cup and its ramifications for the Spanish nation

Just check the AA Touring Tips site for info & download a pdf as required. https://www.theaa.com/european-break...try-by-country

Seems like Spain is OK with GPS warnings, but not with radar detectors. Revenue cameras seem to be popping up everywhere too, along with some ferocious traffic calming, so my carefree Hayabusering days are parked well in the past.

Wapping mentions drink-drive limits. Given the all night partying that goes on, particularly at fiesta time, we have come across road blocks early morning, when everyone gets breathalised & has their docs checked. Also take care mid afternoon, when the 'Gentlemans Clubs' on the edge of some towns turn out - many are pissed as rats & drive accordingly.

Thanks for the info

The Spanish cops like sat navs to warn you of speed cameras - it makes people slow down. Which is the point of the operation, from their point of view.

Radar detectors and jammers, though, are illegal. If anyone still uses such things...

Guardia civil really do not care about whats on a sat nav, in their opinion, it is simple you screw up you pay on the spot, so every bridge is a possible hiding place for a radar gun.

FatBiker 66 Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Guardia civil really do not care about whats on a sat nav, in their opinion, it is simple you screw up you pay on the spot, so every bridge is a possible hiding place for a radar gun.
    +1 Speeding and their attitude really change. I have found them really - biker friendly

Quote Originally Posted by squibb34 View Post
    Just check the AA Touring Tips site for info & download a pdf as required. https://www.theaa.com/european-break...try-by-country

Seems like Spain is OK with GPS warnings, but not with radar detectors. Revenue cameras seem to be popping up everywhere too, along with some ferocious traffic calming, so my carefree Hayabusering days are parked well in the past.

Wapping mentions drink-drive limits. Given the all night partying that goes on, particularly at fiesta time, we have come across road blocks early morning, when everyone gets breathalised & has their docs checked. Also take care mid afternoon, when the 'Gentlemans Clubs' on the edge of some towns turn out - many are pissed as rats & drive accordingly.
    All correct. However, be aware that there is a new breed of "safety camera". It's small (very small), portable, attaches easily to crash barriers but can be placed almost anywhere, and some are omnidirectional. Almost impossible to see until it's far too late. They aren't that common yet and are still under trial.

In Spain they also use helicopters (spectacular waste of resources IMHO) so be careful on a clear day. Helicopters are mostly used during the main migration days (July, Aug and national BH's).

Top Tip:

Wherever possible avoid autoroutes, motorways and mainline "N" roads (some lesser ones are OK). Use the back roads. Not only are they far more interesting, less populated and more fun but they will rarely, if ever, have any traffic cameras or police on them. The caveat being that sometimes they wait at the entrance and exit of villages but, if like me, you always go through built up areas with the respect they deserve (keeps them biker friendly too) then you won't have anything to worry about.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by grimo View Post
    Probably been asked a thousand times before, going to Spain and have a nav 6 with speed camera installed.
    Are the gps based alerts legal in Spain or are all types of speed camera warnings banned.
    I'm not sure about Spain, but when you enter France where the rules on disabling speed camera warnings apply, the Nav V automatically stops warning you of cameras in accordance with local law. It does still care about your safety though, so instead it warns of dangerous places which, no one can deny, happens to coincide with where sensible authorities would put the cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Enginerelight View Post
    All correct. However, be aware that there is a new breed of "safety camera". It's small (very small), portable, attaches easily to crash barriers but can be placed almost anywhere, and some are omnidirectional. Almost impossible to see until it's far too late. They aren't that common yet and are still under trial.

In Spain they also use helicopters (spectacular waste of resources IMHO) so be careful on a clear day. Helicopters are mostly used during the main migration days (July, Aug and national BH's).

Top Tip:

Wherever possible avoid autoroutes, motorways and mainline "N" roads (some lesser ones are OK). Use the back roads. Not only are they far more interesting, less populated and more fun but they will rarely, if ever, have any traffic cameras or police on them. The caveat being that sometimes they wait at the entrance and exit of villages but, if like me, you always go through built up areas with the respect they deserve (keeps them biker friendly too) then you won't have anything to worry about.
    Bastardos!

Are well snails pace it is then, not that I would ride like a nutter anyway but it is fun every now and then.

Top Tip:

All good advice........

Strictly speaking the traffic department has to warn people. But was this means is you have to check daily on the TGD web site - here's today's: http://www.dgt.es/Galerias/el-trafic...TROS_WEBv1.pdf

'Radar fijo' is a permanent speed camera whilst 'móvil' is obviously a temporary kit - or it bloody well should be obvious! Note that 'ambos' means 'both, i.e. both directions ...

Enjoy your day's reading, I'll stick to the stamp collection!

sometimes they wait at the entrance and exit of villages but, if like me, you always go through built up areas with the respect they deserve (keeps them biker friendly too) then you won't have anything to worry about.
    Do you know how they tell you about where these are operating, apart from hair raising footage on RTVE every evening?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_100 View Post
    Strictly speaking the traffic department has to warn people. But was this means is you have to check daily on the TGD web site - here's today's: http://www.dgt.es/Galerias/el-trafic...TROS_WEBv1.pdf

'Radar fijo' is a permanent speed camera whilst 'móvil' is obviously a temporary kit - or it bloody well should be obvious! Note that 'ambos' means 'both, i.e. both directions ...

Enjoy your day's reading, I'll stick to the stamp collection!

Do you know how they tell you about where these are operating, apart from hair raising footage on RTVE every evening?

Simon
    No, I don't. I just keep looking in my mirrors and all about. They can spot you from quite some distance but being the land of the blue sky they are also relatively easy to spot for miles. Also, as I said, generally speaking they are only an issue (mainly/usually) at certain times of the year. They mainly operate on main routes to my knowledge, hence the advice of sticking to back roads.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

No, I don't. I just keep looking in my mirrors and all about. They can spot you from quite some distance but being the land of the blue sky they are also relatively easy to spot for miles. Also, as I said, generally speaking they are only an issue (mainly/usually) at certain times of the year. They mainly operate on main routes to my knowledge, hence the advice of sticking to back roads.
    Yup, that's what I thought, really the motorways around the big cities during the 'puentes' as you said a waste of money really, apart from footage of people doing totally stupid things but stupid people never watch TV - unless they're driving ...

Meanwhile, our home grown term of the day up here in Catalonia, courtesy of TV3 news:

http://www.ccma.cat/tv3/alacarta/tel...video/5772846/

For the rest of you, biker arrested after recording himself at 250 kph and then posting upon Youtube, etc. ...
    Regs

Simon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast