2008 F650GS wiring diagram

HogHog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 2008 model F650GS..??
I'm trying to trace the wires from the Ring Antenna back to the ECU to look for breaks.
With my eyesight :eek: it's proving rahter difficult.
Oh, and I've got 4 1/2 hours to get the thing running before it's MOT time :eek::eek:
Cheers
Sam

Update - magnifying glasses and a torch used - wires have full continuity between ring antenna and ECU. New Ring Antenna fitted.
Anyone got any ideas why I still have EWS Fault..?
Cheers
Sam

Update - magnifying glasses and a torch used - wires have full continuity between ring antenna and ECU. New Ring Antenna fitted.
Anyone got any ideas why I still have EWS Fault..?
Cheers
Sam
As mentioned on the other thread, I had to have another ECU fitted, because that was the fault, not the antennae - 2008 800GS. ~ £750 at BMW !!!!

As mentioned on the other thread, I had to have another ECU fitted, because that was the fault, not the antennae - 2008 800GS. ~ £750 at BMW !!!!

That's what is worrying me. Phoned BMW yesterday and it's now £824..!!!

Oh dear...somebody else on this forum Had same issue with a 2008 bike I remember...Dippy I think they see called

Ouch. That's a bit steep :(

Did you have the codes read from the bike? Does the BMSK actually still work / talk to the reader? What are the actual symptoms? Just EWS and no start or anything else? What state is the battery in?

Ouch. That's a bit steep :(

Did you have the codes read from the bike? Does the BMSK actually still work / talk to the reader? What are the actual symptoms? Just EWS and no start or anything else? What state is the battery in?

Awaiting the use of a GS-911 diagnostic machine, then I'll know more. Current status - still shows EWS and "dead". Tried 3 different batteries. Still dead. Will be interesting to see what the fault codes are....

I am assuming that you tried the obvious and the second key? Does it come up with EWS on the LCD straight after you turn the key, or is there a delay?

Keep us posted, I'm interested to find out what it turns out to be. I did a bit of research into the diagnostics software [ISTA] and cables/adaptors, it is a shame you are not closer to Edinburgh...

I am assuming that you tried the obvious and the second key? Does it come up with EWS on the LCD straight after you turn the key, or is there a delay?

Keep us posted, I'm interested to find out what it turns out to be. I did a bit of research into the diagnostics software [ISTA] and cables/adaptors, it is a shame you are not closer to Edinburgh...

Hi - I tried the Second Key, a new Ring Antenna, checked continuity of wires from Ring Antenna to BMSKP, and used 3 different bike batteries.:confused:
I'm trying to upload a video in this reply, but we'll need to see if I'm technically savvy enough once I hit "submit reply" :D

Well done on uploading the video! :)

That really does look like the key is not being recognised by the bike. You get EWS straight away. Sometimes the EWS message seems to be a "catch-all" when something else is actually preventing the bike from starting. In your case, it is looking like the trouble is starting from EWS. It will be quite interesting to see what error codes are stored in the memory.

Sorry I can't really help much here. I can give you some pointers how to build a "diagnostics" laptop but you'll need a couple of cables [and it was quite a bit of faffing about, and I am an "IT guy"]. You'll probably get much quicker results from a GS-011.
Good luck and keep us posted...

That really does look like the key is not being recognised by the bike. You get EWS straight away. Sometimes the EWS message seems to be a "catch-all" when something else is actually preventing the bike from starting. In your case, it is looking like the trouble is starting from EWS. It will be quite interesting to see what error codes are stored in the memory.

Sorry I can't really help much here. I can give you some pointers how to build a "diagnostics" laptop but you'll need a couple of cables [and it was quite a bit of faffing about, and I am an "IT guy"]. You'll probably get much quicker results from a GS-011.

I'm as thick as 2 short planks - so yes, I'll wait for use of a GS-911..!! 😂😂

A little further information - the engine actually shut down at 80mph in lane 2 of the dual carriageway (oops - sorry officer, that was a typing error, I meant 70mph😂) whilst overtaking 😱 And I have had the EWS problem ever since and it won't start. 😢

You are probably selling yourself short, but it really is a faf with COM ports and such. GS911 is certainly simpler.

Ouch. That must have been a nice experience... :( [I am by no means an expert, but...] Everything you describe sounds like a ring-antenna issue. Yes, of course it could be a BMSK thing too. The code should help there...
Did the new ring antenna you tried come new from Herr BMW?

You are probably selling yourself short, but it really is a faf with COM ports and such. GS911 is certainly simpler.

Ouch. That must have been a nice experience... :( [I am by no means an expert, but...] Everything you describe sounds like a ring-antenna issue. Yes, of course it could be a BMSK thing too. The code should help there...
Did the new ring antenna you tried come new from Herr BMW?

Hi
Indeed it did - ordered on the Saturday, arrived Wednesday, Fitted Friday....... and nothing....!!!
Tried old Ring Antenna too, and both Keys.
So yes - the GS911 will be the next step. Hoping to borrow one on 29th of June, so will need to wait and see what results I get.
Thanks for your comments so far:thumb2

Sam, if you get nowhere with it, take it to Keith Garage, Colin is a factory trained BMW Mech, I have more confidence in them them than BMW in snekki and its not main stealer prices. Also Willie Young is geared up to do BMW diagnostics. Good luck.

Sam, if you get nowhere with it, take it to Keith Garage, Colin is a factory trained BMW Mech, I have more confidence in them them than BMW in snekki and its not main stealer prices. Also Willie Young is geared up to do BMW diagnostics. Good luck.
Hi Bob. Thanks for the info. Hopefully borrowing a GS-911 on Saturday to see what the problem is. Will keep you updated as to how I get on.

I'd be keen to get your pointers on building a diagnostics laptop if you'd be so kind. I am also an IT guy....;-)

Hi Bob. Thanks for the info. Hopefully borrowing a GS-911 on Saturday to see what the problem is. Will keep you updated as to how I get on.

Make sure the battery is fully charged before you go too deep into the wiring. A low cranking voltage will cause an EWS error on an otherwise good bike.

I'm stuck at the "That sounds like a fantastic idea, I wonder how he did that stage...." :augie:augie

I'm guessing the bike talks RS232 so the pin outs from the bike into a standard COM port (will it work via a USB COM adapter?) and whatever software required to interpret/interface with the traffic would be a useful start point for me. I'm always happy to experiment so if you just point me in the right direction I'd be grateful ;-)

Back
Top Bottom