800 gs anything to watch out for ?

steele01

Reaction score
Heya everyone

As a few will know I got made redundant last month due to the company closing.
Hard times for litho print as an industry so while I'm deciding what to do next career wise gonna take some time to go touring

So with money being a bit harder now till I get back on work getting a liquid cooled or twin cam is outta the window

Looking to spend 4 k ish that should leave some money to go travel on for a few months if I camp :)
Thinking Scotland and Europe.

So that leads me onto the next bike thinking 800 gs/hexhead/1150 maybe

Know with the boxers they have there own lil quirks an issues just wondering anything on the 800s to watch out for :) did consider a Royal Enfield Himalayan at the same money but not sure on the lack of power

What sorta mpg are you guys getting on the 800s
Thanks in advance

Tom

Early issues such as shite chains/wheel bearings only with 'some' bikes likely to have been sorted by now. I'd say stators & steering head bearings current issues that some have suffered with apart from that just general checks as you would with any bike. Fitting a voltmeter should help warn of any stator problems developing & the head bearings is an easy check. Mines on 20k no issues Great bikes :thumb2 fully overloaded & me @ 17 stone I prob drop to 55 ish mpg i dont use the bike apart from trips so i cant say i pay attention but travelling light 60-70 mpg??

Awesome thanks for the info mate :) I'd be self servicing anyway so could always look at a stator swap done that on a few of my classics :)

Everything you need to know is detailed in the 800 twins section of 'The Bikes' : -

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/195475-►-QUICK-LINKS-TO-POPULAR-THREADS

We have had a few nice ones through the For Sale section recently & prices seem keen at present, with the new 850 having arrived. Most will be well sorted at your pricepoint. I run a 2012 F650GSSE, just as a local runabout. Often 2-up it's still showing 72 mpg average since the last service, so I would reckon you could expect to achieve c60mpg from the 800GS in give & take riding. Power delivery is, shall we say a bit 'flat' but riding with others you will be surprised how well they keep up on a run, largely due to the handling balance.

Anyway, best to get yourself a test ride at the dealer initially. The most important thing is to have fun & get a bike you truly enjoy; I remember well how early retirement aka redundancy feels.

On the Himalayan, Nathan Millward has nothing but good things to say and the power isn't an issue allowing 80mph on the motorway apparently once run in.
Despite my initial scepticism, if ever there was an adventure bike straight off the production line, that's it. From talking to him about it, the power is a little down because it's a low down torquey engine.
If your in no hurry and don't need to loads of motorway miles that's your bike.

Cheers everyone :) yeah been talking to Nathan he really seems to rate them gonna get on a few test rides soon.
Unfortunately I'm 29 so to young to retire a break will be good though just had my first holiday in 6 years few days Down Cornwall an my mx5 engine let go just as we got onto the propertys road haha on way back in a hire car with dad at the mo

Must admit it's a real tricky choice with so many amazing bikes at this price point sure I won't go wrong with any of them
Always liked the look of the 800 hows the seat height compare in real world to the GSA 1200s an 1150s

I'm thinking Scotland, Denmark an Iceland if funds allow :) will be good for the soul of not for the wallet haha

Cheers everyone :) yeah been talking to Nathan he really seems to rate them gonna get on a few test rides soon.
Unfortunately I'm 29 so to young to retire a break will be good though just had my first holiday in 6 years few days Down Cornwall an my mx5 engine let go just as we got onto the propertys road haha on way back in a hire car with dad at the mo

Must admit it's a real tricky choice with so many amazing bikes at this price point sure I won't go wrong with any of them
Always liked the look of the 800 hows the seat height compare in real world to the GSA 1200s an 1150s

I'm thinking Scotland, Denmark an Iceland if funds allow :) will be good for the soul of not for the wallet haha

Standard 800 is a pretty tall bike - mine's been lowered (before I bought it) and its fine for me at 6ft 1. I've got my 1200 GSA on the highest seat setting, and its a shade taller than my 800. The standard 800 seat is crap, like a plank of wood - lots of custom seat options out there. I put mirror extenders on mine, to see past my shoulders, and I fitted bar risers too, really made a difference.

Head bearings go fairly quickly, not expensive to replace, certainly not if you can do it yourself. Stock chains were rubbish, and the reg/rec can fail - I've got a spare on that I bought from here and never even opened - my 800 is now my bad weather hack, while the GSA is a sunshine garage queen!

The yellow ones are fastest, honest. I love mine, it's been an amazing bike, owned for 8 years, I've put 45k onto it. It lived outside under a cover for 7 of those 8 years, and it's not been pampered - I've been remiss in cleaning and fettling it, to the point where it's a bit tatty and battle scarred now, but it still starts on the button, and is an absolute hoot to ride - the engine is superb. It sailed its last mot with an advisory on brake pads - not bad for a 2010 bike with 48k on the clocks!

You won't regret buying one, thats for sure!

If you are planning to spend most of your time on the road, I would go with a GS/GSA hexhead 1200 - much better for touring about on, with a modicom of off road ability.

As im sure you know the F is slightly more off road orientated with its larger front wheel etc , and whilst you can tour on any bike of course, the 1200 has better road manners, less viby, much more comfortable, looks after you a bit better then the F.

IME, that is.

Micky on the Bat Phone ....

Fit a 17 tooth gearbox sprocket for better motorway running, much sweeter at 85 - 90mph. German Autobahn by the way :D
Doesn't affect off road capability for a numpty like me :rob

As good folk on here know, I love mine :thumb

At the risk of repeating myself, which I really don't like to do :rolleyes:

137,000 + miles
Original clutch and timing chain
Doesn't burn any oil
Valve clearances all bang on and never had to be adjusted
No corrosion
No issues
One stator, several sets of head bearing ... albeit not fitted any for 30,000 miles ish. Last set fitted were Koyo and no torque wrenches involved in the fitting :D

Just fitted second set of disc pads on the front, with original discs.

About fifty tyres or so :D

Anything else?

:beerjug:

Cheers everyone some brilliant info :D cheers Mickey :beerjug::beerjug::friday

just the sorta info I was looking for

Cheers everyone some brilliant info :D cheers Mickey :beerjug::beerjug::friday

just the sorta info I was looking for

There's me thinking I'd killed the thread dead :D

Oh ... and these days chains and tubed tyres aren't the pain they used to be :thumb

:beerjug:

indeed scotoilers have made a huge difference :) im used to tubed tyres with the nortons to which really help

joys this week haha my damn mx5 decided it no longer wanted to be a car but a paperweight lol needs a new engine now (keyways gone) so gonna bang it up for sale as is pretty straight mk1 so hopefully someone rescues it an puts an engine in

bit more into the new bike pot :)

STATOR.

BMW changed the design at some stage - can’t remember the year. If you buy an older model price for a new design stator, DONT GET A REWIND it won’t last and you’ll be wasting money.
Check the price of a new one and factor in before you buy - they’re not cheap.

The stator changed in 2012. My bike was manufactured in April 2012 and still had the early type so the change must have been after that. But it has the new one now! Replaced at 23k.

sweet cheers lads something worth factoring in for sure :) as i'll probably be looking at an older bike

Loved mine. Biggest issue was the stock seat, the bmw comfort seat made a huge difference. Otherwise what everyone says on here.

Thanks everyone really do appreciate the info :)

Seems to tick all the boxes shall have a nosey at one

has anyone gone from the 1200 to the 800 if so what 1200 did you have an how you finding the switch ? :)

Thanks everyone really do appreciate the info :)

Seems to tick all the boxes shall have a nosey at one

has anyone gone from the 1200 to the 800 if so what 1200 did you have an how you finding the switch ? :)

Steel01 you gunna have to read some threads on here mate, lots of people have downsized, use the search facility

Steve

Back
Top Bottom