1090...god its hot...what to do

Loz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score

just brought the 1090 ....it chucks out some heat what are owners fitting to deflect the heat

loz

just brought the 1090 ....it chucks out some heat what are owners fitting to deflect the heat

loz
You might want to have a search for this. There are hundreds of threads on the subject between 1050 1090 1190 and 1290 since they all have the same solutions.

You might want to have a search for this. There are hundreds of threads on the subject between 1050 1090 1190 and 1290 since they all have the same solutions.

First thing i would do is fit the insulated rear header off the old 1290SA-T ;)

Cost about £75 and gives the rear shock an easier time as well.

You've saved me wondering where to say this!

Everyone who's hot blooded (me obviously) needs to buy one of these right now. Bought last year but never got around to using it....what a waste!

https://www.getgeared.co.uk/rev_it_cooling_vest_liquid

The vest is worn under your jacket. You soak the thing in water for a minute or two and wring it out. I have used it on two rides now and my base layers stay almost 100% dry. The principle is one of evaporation and I can tell you it works brilliantly. You can vary how cold you get by opening or closing your bike jacket vents. Today I carefully soaked the whole front section but only the upper back section i.e. no cold kidneys. It worked. Ride out last sunday was rally warm (24deg ish) and I was really comfortable. I reckon it stops you sweating almost entirely compared to wet back syndrome, so that's got to be good for stopping de-hydration when out for a good ride. Would be a real positive on a hot track day!

Only downside so far is that it stays wet for hours. It's not an issue as it doesn't 'leak', but I'm drying after each use on the gas boiler so it doesn't start to smell rancid. That said I think you can wash it anyway.

I just thought I would try one of these on the recommendation of Gloucester Honda who stock Rev-it stuff. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND YOU CAN THANK ME LATER!

By the way, they're expensive but you need to buy the carbon covers/frame infills. They do a pretty good job, but I'm going to get the above exhaust section too if it helps.

I stand up on the pegs at reasonable speeds every 20 minutes or so....the cold air blasts your crotch and the seat. The longer you stand....bla...bla.

I’m really confused.......

The guy asks about a hot exhaust and gets told to wear a water cooled jacket and to loose weight?

Or am I still suffering from all those Mojitos last night??

Andres

First thing i would do is fit the insulated rear header off the old 1290SA-T ;)

Cost about £75 and gives the rear shock an easier time as well.

thanks for that ,i will be going to premier today and will check it out

loose weight....hummm ......will that stop heat coming off the rear cylinder ....nah ......twat

loz

FWIW Loz I keep meaning to get the rear pipe ‘cos that seems the best solution but I have made a very worthwhile difference with Wings infill panels along with a heavy duty heat reflective blanket under the seat.

Andres

I had the rear header and deflector shields fitted, about £100 for the lot, (politely) haggle for some discount as you are having to pay to fix a design flaw ;-)

Makes a big difference, but don't forget you still have a Twin, which means the rear cylinder is located at the rear, in some ways better than all the four cylinder bikes I had that just blew heat right at the front of my legs on hot days, easier to move away from the KTM heat a little.

I suspect a "Hilltop job" would possibly help by reducing the piss weak Euro-4 compliant running conditions - or go all the way and fit a full system, a lot of heat is being generated and distributed by the Cat, removing that (and getting it properly remapped) is likely to have a very big effect, but I was happy to stop at around £100 rather than spend another £500 - £100 on exhaust and re-maps.

thanks for that ,i will be going to premier today and will check it out

loose weight....hummm ......will that stop heat coming off the rear cylinder ....nah ......twat

loz

Sorry :D

Tbh, I’ve not noticed that much heat coming off the bike, apart from in Italy in 34 degree temps last year. Since fitting ceramic coated headers and the PP carbon covers, on a trip to France this year in similar temps, I couldn’t notice any excessive heat at all.

So, depending on budget, you could fit ceramic headers, and if you want to go the whole hog, fit the Wings deflectors too. :thumb

just ordered the insulated header..thanks for the info,first 200 mile last night ..wind buffeting a bit so got an old screen from my old 1190 from a couple of years back,got the two piece seat in the deal for the non r so i can put it in the higher setting for my 6.4,i de catted the old 1190 but for this new bike i'll buy a decat pipe so as not to mess the warranty

any advice on de cat pipe appreciated

loz

I just ignore it. Unless it's 20C+ (hardly ever around here) AND you're stuck in traffic, it's not even noticeable.

Somehow survived 43C in Portugal a couple of years back with no deflectors or shrouded pipe.

I’m really confused.......

The guy asks about a hot exhaust and gets told to wear a water cooled jacket and to loose weight?

Or am I still suffering from all those Mojitos last night??

Andres

How very dare you sir! Here I am...trying to dispense words of faulty wisdom and I just get laughed at. That's it...I'm OFF! :D

Contrary to my previous post, after a horrifyingly hot 3 days in Wales* recently, I have fitted the KTM deflector kit + the insulated rear header. Went out today when it was 29C and not sure how much difference it makes. A bit probably. A little bit. My sheepskin is probably more effective TBH, but it's less than a oner all in, so might be worth it. Maybe.

*Yeah, I know. It was 32.5C and fecking sweltering.

We’re away, and temps have hit 40 degrees a couple of times. Yes, it gets a bit warm, but no hotter than my GS or GSA’s ever did.

Wings under seat insulation and side panels fitted. Also did the rear cylinder with exhaust heat insulating wrap I had spare. 27 degrees yesterday and a very noticeable difference to comfort levels!

Perfect? No. I may wrap the rest of the exhaust to see if that helps too and remove the thick bash-plate so exhaust is in fresh air.

Back
Top Bottom