Speedo problem whilst travelling.

zmh2012

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
HI-were touring in europe at the moment and have a speedo problem. The bike is a 2004 R1200gs,a previous owner has removed the brake servo due to failure and blanked out the warning light. The speedo is intermittently working, works fine for a mile or two then seems to lose data and indicating arm just goes up to indicated speed and drops to zero every few seconds. I have looked at the forums and checked the battery connection, looked at both Abs pick ups, the front one did have a dead fly in front so have cleaned off. The only two other things are I think a loose wire somewhere ( have checked the rear connections and the the connection on the back of the speedo and both seem ok) or duff speedo unit?. Only only other thing I can to check is the front under the petrol tank ? Just wondering if there is any thing else I can do here without going to a bmw place . As a back stop I should be able to use my gps as a speedo . Thanks for any help.

All you can do is go through whatever was done to remove the ABS servo and in the meantime do as you are with the sat nav.
To stop the speedo fluttering disconnect the rear speedo pickup. Connector is by the rear shock top mount.

All the speedo issues I have seen to date have been due to the rear ABS sensor playing up, either through a build up of metallic wear particles on the sensor, or the sensor itself failing.

Many thanks for comments.
Will disconnect and carry on with GPS.
Dpu

What happens at MOT time, is the tester just looking to see a speedo fitted or does it have to be working ??

Rear abs sensor as mentioned, the connector is under the seat,
It may be worth checking free play in rear wheel/FD,

When my own GSA speedo died, a new rear ABS sensor fixed it. I believe they are quite expensive to buy now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fitted a used one from Motorworks. 1/2 the cost of new but false economy as a year later that was also playing up. New sensors are about £100 plus delivery Proper silly money for what they are but....

Dont forget to use a new O-ring on the sensor. You might also want to replace the clip retaining screws. Mine were beginning to rust.

Update

Got back from trip and obtained secondhand rear sensor from motorworks around £70- plugged in and speedo works fine.

Had FD rebuilt this year also.

Only issue on the 3000mile trip was pain from seat- needs a rebuild to stop weight being shoved forward thus putting strees on tailbone- anybody know of a good firm to send the seat to for a rebuild?

Thanks for all the help

ZMH

Tony Archer is highly regarded as the seat guru.

Or you could try a Sargent or similar seat, I bought one and for me its all-day comfort when touring.

Tony Archer is highly regarded as the seat guru.

Or you could try a Sargent or similar seat, I bought one and for me its all-day comfort when touring.

What he said, pairs of seats come up often in the for sale section for 300.00 to 350.00 pounds.

The OEM GS seat left me with a numb coccyx for an hour after a two hour journey. There is a hard lump in the seat base at the back. Who knows what BMW designers were thinking.
The Kahedo seat, that uses what looks like an identical seat base, has no such problem.

Back
Top Bottom