Bmw SOFT luggage for GSA racks

Hi G&T, I tried to buy the 2 x 35L Mosko bags + the GSA adaptor plate + 2 x 4L Molle side bags but it turned out that the adaptor plate and Molle bags are out of stock until August. Doh! Obviously without the plate, the bags are useless so I will have to wait until August

Regarding the choice of 35+35 or 35+25 my reasoning went like this. Mosko told me that a fully packed 35L bag would be about 8" wide. That makes it about the same width on the offside as the OEM box but about 3" narrower on the nearside (obviously because the offside bag is pushed further out by the exhaust). However of course the whole point about soft bags is that they can be cinched tighter if they're not fully packed so my plan is to pack less into the offside bag and only use its full capacity when absolutely needed

Hi Mike 35+35 makes sense. So now you have the full Moskomoto spec what is the price difference compared with the Atakarma set?

Hi Phil, check out sprocket square’s website. He chose Mosko moto for his RTW. I think he is suitably impressed.

Whatever happened to that guy? I heard that he ditched the round the world plan.

The Mosko guys are in Garmisch, not exactly the same as the Bmw kit, but all very impressive, the Mosko kit has some extra stitching for support in various places & the Bmw kit is ‘cleaner’...
The Bmw kit has extra waterproof ? pack on the top of the backpack whereas the Mosko you have to buy extra add on bags, they attach different & the Mosko is more versatile but more expensive in the long run.
The panniers are nearly the same.
The Mosko guys gave me discount code 10% show discount, pm me if anyone’s interested.

I had a look at the BMW Atacama bags a few days ago. Dealership had no clear idea of mounting or system of mounting. Anyway, the bags do need a plate that bolts onto the frame which the bag slides onto. There must also be an exhaust side extender plate too, but nobody knew.

(On a separate point, I’m flabbergasted that a single brand dealer doesn’t know its products inside out. In fact when I asked if they got training the reply came we have to pay for it. Seriously...something is going wrong here).

So, given more research I came across the Bumot xtramada described in earlier posts. The benefit is the bag clips directly onto the OEM frame (no plate bolt on required) and....the bag is formed to take account of the exhaust. I phoned Adventure Bike Shop who were extremely helpful. Only question is how well the bag will synch down when not fully loaded? A separate strap is required to do that it seems.

Prices of the above approx £900 Atacama, quoted (don’t know if this includes expander plate) and £449 for the Bumot.

Attachments

• 642305D6-3ACA-48B3-9B0B-703943D72434.jpg
    642305D6-3ACA-48B3-9B0B-703943D72434.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 686
I had a look at the BMW Atacama bags a few days ago. Dealership had no clear idea of mounting or system of mounting. Anyway, the bags do need a plate that bolts onto the frame which the bag slides onto. There must also be an exhaust side extender plate too, but nobody knew.

(On a separate point, I’m flabbergasted that a single brand dealer doesn’t know its products inside out. In fact when I asked if they got training the reply came we have to pay for it. Seriously...something is going wrong here).

So, given more research I came across the Bumot xtramada described in earlier posts. The benefit is the bag clips directly onto the OEM frame (no plate bolt on required) and....the bag is formed to take account of the exhaust. I phoned Adventure Bike Shop who were extremely helpful. Only question is how well the bag will synch down when not fully loaded? A separate strap is required to do that it seems.

Prices of the above approx £900 Atacama, quoted (don’t know if this includes expander plate) and £449 for the Bumot.

The Atacama/Mosko mounting system is well explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKjaJinq2c and the prices of the same kit direct from Mosko are much lower although you have to add VAT and delivery of course

The issue with the Bumot soft bags so far as I'm concerned is that the mounting plate is attached to the bag not the frame like the Mosko bags. I dont know how much weight this adds but I would want to carry one or both bags into a hotel on tour so any unnecessary excess weight becomes an issue for me. On the other hand, as you point out, the Bumot bags are attached to the OEM frame so swapping between the OEM hard panniers and the Bumot soft bags would be easier than the Mosko bags and the fact that the offside bag is notched for the exhaust is a plus too

Given the fact that Mosko are out of stock of the GSA mounting plate and I still havent ordered anything from them, I think I'll take a serious look at the Bumot bags so thanks for your post

The Atacama/Mosko mounting system is well explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKjaJinq2c and the prices of the same kit direct from Mosko are much lower although you have to add VAT and delivery of course

The issue with the Bumot soft bags so far as I'm concerned is that the mounting plate is attached to the bag not the frame like the Mosko bags. I dont know how much weight this adds but I would want to carry one or both bags into a hotel on tour so any unnecessary excess weight becomes an issue for me. On the other hand, as you point out, the Bumot bags are attached to the OEM frame so swapping between the OEM hard panniers and the Bumot soft bags would be easier than the Mosko bags and the fact that the offside bag is notched for the exhaust is a plus too

Given the fact that Mosko are out of stock of the GSA mounting plate and I still havent ordered anything from them, I think I'll take a serious look at the Bumot bags so thanks for your post

Mike, you can take the inner waterproof bag out of the Bumot to carry into the hotel to reduce the carry weight right down. I’m motivated by not having a plate left on the bike the whole time and quick and easy to take bag on and off bike. :thumby:

Mike, you can take the inner waterproof bag out of the Bumot to carry into the hotel to reduce the carry weight right down. I’m motivated by not having a plate left on the bike the whole time and quick and easy to take bag on and off bike. :thumby:

Fair comment except that the inner bag doesnt seem to have any carrying handles and seems like its designed to stay in the pannier permanently! Yeah it is a big plus that there is no plate left on the bike and that makes it much easier to change between the Bumot soft panniers and the BMW hard panniers and the Bumot soft panniers can be locked on to the frames too which is another plus. I think Mosko missed a trick there by not making their plate system lockable

Any idea how waterproof the Bumot soft panniers are without the inner bags?

Any idea how waterproof the Bumot soft panniers are without the inner bags?

Good point and I don’t know. I’ve also started to look at throw over panniers which may attach under the pillion seat. So far Enduristan and Wolfman look possible. Typically they come it at half price of Bumot. The fact is anything will tie down to the frame so as long as it’s waterproof the question is if you use it a lot then invest, if not, save your money.

I’ve emailed Mosko on a price for a couple of sets of Panniers, brackets for a Wc GSA (2014 on) & a 10litre waterproof bag.

Drop me a pm if anyone’s interested in a small group deal, if the deal isn’t right I’ll go for the Bmw panniers & brackets. Again if anyone’s interested pm me.

Good point and I don’t know. I’ve also started to look at throw over panniers which may attach under the pillion seat. So far Enduristan and Wolfman look possible. Typically they come it at half price of Bumot. The fact is anything will tie down to the frame so as long as it’s waterproof the question is if you use it a lot then invest, if not, save your money.

I’d be surprised if Enduristan is half the price of the Bumots !

I love Enduristan kit but it’s not cheap.

Got a set of Bumot Xtremadas to fit to ATAS when I get home .

Bumot xtremada soft panniers about £450 (Adventure Bike Shop), Enduristan Monsoon 3 about £240 (TwistedMoto). I’m trying to find out if Velcro straps of Enduristan will fit under pillion seat?

Let us know quality/fit when you get them Arsey. Having done all the research I think these are the best for medium price point, ease of use and no frame plate required.

Let us know quality/fit when you get them Arsey. Having done all the research I think these are the best for medium price point, ease of use and no frame plate required.

Just heading home from Canada. Will collect and fit in the morning

The Xtremadas seem very well made . They come with a very strong waterproof liner but I doubt the outer layer will let much water through as it’s very well constructed. Reminds me of my Andy Strapz Expeds which never leaked even without liners.

They have a Velcro fastening then roll down and secure with strong buckles.

fc0c3514bd7cd367cac5aecd9a4aae00.jpg

638d6e405cfe68477ce919002135a8ee.jpg

2107b787a187c8609fd17384051db6b4.jpg

b3262ff7e893ee500c699fd717330922.jpg

72c05d7396a89dce3aed9f1dbba470c3.jpg

f2e8ab6f2ab334e304a80f4da01f840d.jpg

They look great, I loved my old Bumot pannier set so am thinking of ordering a set for my GSA as they will for to the existing racks.

They look great Arsey - thanks for posting:thumby:

Back
Top Bottom