Long weekend dash to Auschwitz

katokeith

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of a trip to Auschwitz sometime in September 2018.
Will be a long weekend dash there and back anyone fancy it.
Early stages so any advice or input would be appreciated. Im 47 have a 2018 Triple black GSA not a serious person just something I’ve always wanted to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its too far for a weekend I would have thought. The tour takes a few hours to visit both of the camps. I agree with Bryn to stay in Krakow - lovely place. You can go fast through through Germany but you will need frequent stops.

I would give yourself an extra couple of days to try and enjoy the journey.

to do both camps, Auschwitz and Birkenau you really do need a full day, as for doing it in a long weekend, from Derby its 1150 miles google tells me thats 20.5 hrs so if you break it down to 1.5 days there and the same back plus the day to visit the camps thats 4 days, so doable yes, i notice you are in Wakefield so you may go hull Rotterdam that cuts the mileage down to 770 and traveling overnight on the ferry. this may be the better option

You could definitely do a dash to Auschwitz in a weekend.

Seeing the camps and returning home may take a little longer....!

As others have said you really need a full day to visit both camps

It would also be a shame not to visit more of Krakow itself and also Schindlers factory so I would recommend 2 days there as well as the journey time

+1 for stopping where Bryn suggests.

I was interested in seeing the place, rode up to the gate at Birkenau, decided I didn't need the details and went to the salt mine instead.

I suppose it depends on what you call a long weekend. If it's just adding a Friday and Monday to the weekend then I suppose it's achievable if you only want to do the minimum walk around Auschwitz then set off for home again. Add in a 5th day and it becomes quite an easy ride and gives you a couple of evenings in Krakow which is a city worth visiting in its own right.

I know it kind of defeats the point of having a motorbike but if I was looking at using motorways to get there and wasn't planning on doing anything more than go to the camps I'd fly over and do it over a weekend then use the days I'd saved to do something else. Don't do what we did which was fly to Berlin, spend a day there, get the train to Krakow, spend a couple of days there then catch the train back to Berlin for a bit more sightseeing before flying home. I like train journeys across foreign countries but that one was dire :blast

I was in Krakow in Easter and its great place to visit. I did it as part of a longer trip to Venice. Its a long way back across Poland and Germany. I would say its a push over a long weekend especially as you need enough time to look around the camps. Get to Birkenau before 8am, you do not need a ticket and there will be no crowds. Then go across to Auschwitz. Be sure to book your guided tour on-line, you cannot access the camp after 10am without a guide.

I was in Krakow in Easter and its great place to visit. I did it as part of a longer trip to Venice. Its a long way back across Poland and Germany. I would say its a push over a long weekend especially as you need enough time to look around the camps. Get to Birkenau before 8am, you do not need a ticket and there will be no crowds. Then go across to Auschwitz. Be sure to book your guided tour on-line, you cannot access the camp after 10am without a guide.

That must have changed; we were free to wander round both camps without a guide. Saying that ; it's a long haul for a weekend. If it does'nt have to be the camps; you could always try Ordour sur Glane.:beerjug:

That must have changed; we were free to wander round both camps without a guide. Saying that ; it's a long haul for a weekend. If it does'nt have to be the camps; you could always try Ordour sur Glane.:beerjug:

If you want to visit a camp there is Natswiller Struthof not far from Strasbourg, it was the only concentration camp on French territory

In a lot of ways it is more moving than Birkenau Auschwitz

Also plenty of other stuff to do in the area

14 hrs on the motorway from Calais to Auschwitz. That doesn't sound like a lot of fun for me.

I can think of much more entertaining destinations for a long weekend on the bike, and I'd make the trip to Auschwitz (though personally it isn't something that I particularly want to see) by flying and hiring a car.

I can think of much more entertaining destinations for a long weekend on the bike, and I'd make the trip to Auschwitz (though personally it isn't something that I particularly want to see) by flying and hiring a car.

It doesn't matter how you travel - but everybody should see Auschwitz.

Went there many years back. Got cheap flights, stayed in Krakow and got a mini bus to Auschwitz with a guide. Stayed for a week had a few beers, lovely town. I think if i went by motorbike I would have at least three weeks in Poland and go up into the mountains outside Krakow as well as see other bits of the country.

Back
Top Bottom