Keyless Mod

Seriously, its a bad idea.

Multistrada was the same. How many people have used the key to unlock the seat and left the key in the lock. Surprising just how far you can travel without even noticing. Go to re fuel...keyless, your not looking for the key...repeat.
Just cant convince me that a key used for ignition, panniers, petrol tank is not a good thing. It doesnt need a tech solution...because there is no problem.

Like when one of our group riders who left their key in the top box while foreging for useless stuff, some time later another biker squeezed past and unknowingly bent his key right over in the lock. Completely fooked it and he needed that key to get home.

Or uncounted times people leave their keys in the ignition while their bikes are parked up in a group ride, or in their pannier locks.

Or bad design keys get twisted and warped, by constant pressure until they dont work anymore or snap off completely in the barrel or fuel cap lock.

Or when the lock barrel gets so worn and clogged with wd40 you can use anything to start the bike up without a key in sight.

Or the bike key attached to a bunch of keys with 'remove before flight' bollox flapping around the top yolk scratching everything as they flap about in the wind.

Or in Winter when you're having to fumble around with a small key with your gloves on in the rain.

Nah.... no thank you.

Keyless for the win.

Like when one of our group riders who left their key in the top box while foreging for useless stuff, some time later another biker squeezed past and unknowingly bent his key right over in the lock. Completely fooked it and he needed that key to get home.

Or uncounted times people leave their keys in the ignition while their bikes are parked up in a group ride, or in their pannier locks.

Or bad design keys get twisted and warped, by constant pressure until they dont work anymore or snap off completely in the barrel or fuel cap lock.

Or when the lock barrel gets so worn and clogged with wd40 you can use anything to start the bike up without a key in sight.

Or the bike key attached to a bunch of keys with 'remove before flight' bollox flapping around the top yolk scratching everything as they flap about in the wind.

Or in Winter when you're having to fumble around with a small key with your gloves on in the rain.

Nah.... no thank you.

Keyless for the win.

You cant design out stupidity.

I'd rather have a key and hope BMW keeps the non-keyless option...:thumb

I'd rather have a key and hope BMW keeps the non-keyless option...:thumb

you have got a key (Keyless) however its not put in a hole in the bike (Which seems to confuse and alarm some :blast )

You cant design out stupidity.

Its stupidity and the fact some don't like new tech, possibly because they haven't got it and would like it = dislike !

15,000 miles keyless on a Ducati, 4000 on the GS.

its handy for the keyless filler. Thats it. Petrol caps that will not open (keyless type) were a common issue with Multistradas. Ive seen keyless (its not 'really') bikes where the rider has used the KEY part of the fob to unlock the seat. Then proceed to travel many miles with the key/fob (insert your description here!) still in the lock. Spain, France, UK. Not ideal regardless of location. Cant start a standard bike without key in ignition. Not sure what part of that people do not see as a dis advantage tbh. Out of 3 mates all with Multistradas (some on their second) most now have copied the key, keep them on a lanyard to use for panniers and seat. Key fob in pocket. Great eh? Or just one bloody key.
Some people will not admit the facts.
Add in flat battery issues with the fobs and it becomes harder to justify the technology.

Sure as hell would not pay extra and given choice of all other spec on the bike being the same would have a key. Trot on.

Ive seen keyless (its not 'really') bikes where the rider has used the KEY part of the fob to unlock the seat. Then proceed to travel many miles with the key/fob (insert your description here!) still in the lock. Spain, France, UK. Not ideal regardless of location.

You can't design out stupidity!

Seriously, its (keyless) a bad idee
Just cant convince me that a key used for ignition, panniers, petrol tank is not a good thing. It doesnt need a tech solution...because there is no problem.

Ask the bods you see, riding along with a big bunch of keys dangling from their top box lock.

Anyone who doubts how good keyless can be, should get a 1600, as it benefits from central locking. Safety pin the fob into an inside pocket of your jacket and don’t touch it again until you come home. Easy, safe, reliable.... better than many owners.

Ask the bods you see, riding along with a big bunch of keys dangling from their top box lock.

Anyone who doubts how good keyless can be, should get a 1600, as it benefits from central locking. Safety pin the fob into an inside pocket of your jacket and don’t touch it again until you come home. Easy, safe, reliable.... better than many owners.

Yep - it is very convenient. I keep my key in an inside zipped jacket pocket.

Isn’t that the the real issue here? Not that keyless is or isn’t a good idea, but that the implementation on the GS (ignition, steering lock and petrol cap only) is shit. It’s a given that plenty of GS buyers also have luggage - without central locking out comes the fob, or you leave them unlocked (great) or you get a key blank cut for the seat and luggage (FFS!). When I test ride the GT the fob stays in your pocket for the entire ride - which is how it should be. Argument about whether a key or a fob is better is pointless - you can leave a key in the ignition, or you can leave a fob in the seat or topbox lock...

Without central locking of the panniers and top box, it certainly loses a significant part of it’s usefulness, that’s for cetain.

That being said, the 1600 isn’t perfect as the removal of the two seats (not a frequent occurrence, I grant you) requires the key. Similarly, why BMW didn’t integrate the power supply to operate the top box into the lock mechanism (as they did on the two panniers) is a mystery beyond comprehension. Instead, they opted for an old fashioned power lead, that requires the lifting of the pillion seat, which requires the key AND the losening of two bolts.

I've got keyless and have stood 3 feet from bike and asked someone to try and start it but no chance need to be next to bike with key.

Agreed.

If you’re not stood by the petrol tank or in front of the headlight it won’t start.

I camp and it’s always been fine. I keep the key opposite side to the bike. But I still always try starting it to check.

I like keyless but could live without it.

I certainly wouldn’t spend the cash on conversion though. That’s a lot of nice new shiny things or a good trip aways worth

Cheers

Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d love to see how that’s done please.

I have a Givi V46 and the key will not release until you turn it to the lock position, which can’t be done until you close the lid and push in the lock release plate.

I also have the Givi V47 and this does allow you to turn the key to the locked position and remove it. Without closing the lid. This model has no release plate to disengage.

Cheers Clive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom