Keyless Mod

I know. Why call it control then? The first time I came across it I thought it controlled the pressure. JJH

I love keyless.

My front door is keyless, so when I get home I don't need keys to get in. Very nice after a long rideout or in the rain.

My bike is keyless, so I can easily open fuel caps, set steering lock and switch bike on and off. Great at petrol stations and in winter riding.

My Credit Card is contactless, so keep it in my Klim Jacket Sleeve and pay for fuel without removing it, or my gloves or helmet.

I'm loving technology as I get older. Bloody brilliant.

I like the contactless card in the Klim pocket, I’ll try that one.

Got keyless, didnt want it, just on the bike I bought.

Would rather have a key.

Cant drive off without a key, but it would be easy to start the bike in vicinity of the fob and drive off without it. Just a silly marketing gimmick and more to go wrong.

Got keyless, didnt want it, just on the bike I bought.

Would rather have a key.

Cant drive off without a key, but it would be easy to start the bike in vicinity of the fob and drive off without it. Just a silly marketing gimmick and more to go wrong.

Keep it in your trouser pocket and leave it there. Unless you're daft enough to ride off without your trousers, your never going to ride off without your key. For your seat/luggage, a dumb key cut to your vin number is 20 quid from your dealer. Now if you lose that key, but still have your trousers, you can still get home! It's like your bike now recognises it's owner - as long as he or she is wearing trousers! :)

Ah yes but what happens if you still have the dummy key but you lose your trousers ?

The best way round it is to swallow the key then have the words 'Check Before Flushing' tattooed on both hands :thumb2

My key always goes into my right jacket pocket after I’ve opened my top box. I’ve done it that way for the last two years without any problem.

Until last Saturday when the ferry reached Newcastle and the nice Dutch lady asked me to help release the ratchet straps on her bike. As I walked back to my bike I noticed by top box was still open so clicked it shut. It took ages to get through passport control but once out Group was finally through I decided to change into some less summery gloves.

Oh shit! Where are my keys :eek:

After checking the top box lock, I was about to panic when I realised that I’d stopped and started the bike several times in the queue without issue. So I must have put my keys inside the box......... mustn’t I ........... or ...........

So I had to ride 300 miles back home before I could open the box with my spare key and PHEW! There they were.

Lesson learned.

The worst part was knowing that anyone could simply ride away on my bike if I parked it somewhere :eek:

Just be careful with keyless if camping, whilst you are snug in your tent someone can start and ride off on your bike that was parked right outside

I’d love to see how that’s done please.

I’m taking credit for something that I discovered by accident. If the key isn’t fully inserted in the lock it will work but is able to come out in the unlocked position. I don’t know wheather it’s a design feature or just a worn lock. JJH

Just be careful with keyless if camping, whilst you are snug in your tent someone can start and ride off on your bike that was parked right outside

Not when you've chained your bikes wheels together or to another bike, and use a suitable disc lock.

Why wouldn't you use physical locks?

The bike would have to be very, very close. Intimately so.

No it wouldn't, theives are using relay repeaters to boost your key signal.

If it wasn't physically secured, the steering lock can be broken and they'll just push it away. It's happened to a mate of mine.... and his bike was parked alongside a parked Police car at the time.

Thieves are feckin bold and carefree.

No it wouldn't, theives are using relay repeaters to boost your key signal.

If it wasn't physically secured, the steering lock can be broken and they'll just push it away. It's happened to a mate of mine.... and his bike was parked alongside a parked Police car at the time.

Thieves are feckin bold and carefree.

You need to keep the key in a metal tin to combat the repeater scam. I do, even at home when the bike is locked up in the garage.

I've got keyless and have stood 3 feet from bike and asked someone to try and start it but no chance need to be next to bike with key.

The determined thief that

a) has access to the tech needed

and

b) targets specifically your keyed or key-less bike

will find a way to nick it no matter what... Even if you keep your fob in a lead Faraday cage.

Most of the time, thieves come in small groups, dump the bike on the back of a minivan and go away in less time it takes to dial 911... They generally don't care to actually start the bike because the end game is selling the parts and they try to be sneaky.

Seriously, its a bad idea.

Multistrada was the same. How many people have used the key to unlock the seat and left the key in the lock. Surprising just how far you can travel without even noticing. Go to re fuel...keyless, your not looking for the key...repeat.
Just cant convince me that a key used for ignition, panniers, petrol tank is not a good thing. It doesnt need a tech solution...because there is no problem.

Back
Top Bottom