An interesting R9T summary and perspective

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Some wise words from Twizzle

Why did you fall out with the Scrambler, Twizzle (I know you're tall) ??

Most seem to be for sale with 1000-2/3000 miles on

I guess it's not a longterm ownership type bike.........??

Hi JB, I collected the bike on the 30th June last year and have done 2,700 miles on it... ( My longer trips are by Harley normally) I was looking for something light and fun to just blast around on.... this bike suits that requirement perfectly.... it's balanced, goes well, sounds great and I loved the simplicity of the machine.... I planned on it being a long termer....... I opted for the 850 high seat and fitted SW Motech Footrest Hanger brackets which give me another 25mm in the leg department... this combined with the Rizoma flyscreen and Unit Rack was I thought sorted........

Doubts creeping in......

Firstly, and not the fault of the bike - my size at 6'8" I could ride the bike but I also dwarfed it.... this started wearing a little thin once the gloss was off and I started looking back at the larger GS/KTM style bikes that better suit my build. After all I'm not a slim hipster - who the fuck am I kidding. (Apart from myself)

Second, Numb Nuts - Reported by me and also suffered by Arsey, after 45 miles or so I'd lose all feeling in my cock and balls due to vibration/seat lord only knows........not widely reported may be because of my build/setup etc....

Third, I ride all year and often on shitty roads..... the SX throws shite all over you, back/front/helmet - on one rain soaked ride I could feel the water hitting the back of my neck and running down my jacket - it's a fucking menace in the wet....

Forth, and finally the suspension is harsh, cheap harsh - it needs £1,200 of Wilburs or Ohlins to sort it out.

So, that combined with a dealer who was after the bike for stock, ( Good seller none in his stock at the mo so he tells me) had some Rallye TE' sitting around gathering dust that he was prepared to deal on brought the deal to head - I only went in to collect a part to ship to Clifton - turned out an expensive visit.

In summary, if you are the right build and looking for a toy for sunny and Sunday trips perfect........... but I realised that I wanted more then that - so back to a GS.

I also looked at an Africa Twin Sport - but my legs do not fit in the recess, and the lobes force my legs too wide and the KTM 1290R - but I have a problem with the fugly headlight - hate it and the KTM could not get close to the deal that the BMW guys have done - when I say close I mean 000's apart for a bike with pretty much costs the same RRP.

The TE has a lot of toys, and i'm normally an analogue sort of biker - Harleys/Carbs/Oil etc - but i'm looking forward to the 21st Centaury - although I'm looking forward with my eyes well and truly open as to the complexities of the things....... having said that I took a LR Disco 3 to 280,000 miles so I'm brave enough!!!

If I was "normal" I would buy an Urban and throw £1200 at the suspension..... ( and then treat it as a toy, rather then a workhorse)

Cheers
A very worthy and no holds barred ownership statement, which kinda mirrors my thoughts
I fancy something for localish rides and blatting around on, just as you say............but i'm 6'2
Whether I could stand the shite suspension, lack of weather protection, wind blast and numb nuts..............once the new bike ownership gloss has worn off
Residuals seem poor - 11k for an Urban X, year old ones can be had for £9ish retail (so £8's trade-in) - so that's a potential £3k hit if I can't be fucked with it longterm
I had 2-3 hours on one last friday and around the tiny country lanes, it was a giggle..............however once I got onto the A64 dual carriageway at 75-80 mph it was a job to hang on, so speed had to drop
Shame, I guess no one bike is an island
Thanks for your insight, much appreciated:clap
:thumby:

Each to their own but still loving mine and no problem with numb balls ;)

Each to their own but still loving mine and no problem with numb balls ;)

I love mine especially the looks of it but I do think the suspension is alittle harsh, when I take a pillion it improves loads and handles better but the pain of the rear seat she can’t cope with, maybe cheaper to swap for a newer model wife than bike :comfort:)

I love mine especially the looks of it but I do think the suspension is alittle harsh, when I take a pillion it improves loads and handles better but the pain of the rear seat she can’t cope with, maybe cheaper to swap for a newer model wife than bike :comfort:)

I agree with the rear suspension being rather harsh and the seat isn't a patch on my Monster's one. I should have a Sargent seat delivered by the weekend so I'll try that one.
Here's mine at the moment before new seat and I haven't got a rear pod yet either. The Sargent one is very expensive!

Attachments

• IMG_20180608_124809234.jpg
    IMG_20180608_124809234.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 581
I agree with the rear suspension being rather harsh and the seat isn't a patch on my Monster's one. I should have a Sargent seat delivered by the weekend so I'll try that one.
Here's mine at the moment before new seat and I haven't got a rear pod yet either. The Sargent one is very expensive!

Let us know how it’s goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm still loving mine, had almost 3 years on the original 9T before trading sideways / downwards for a Turban X and apart from the harsh suspension, which I'll sort out, it's a ton of fun. I can also report zero bollock pain from my Turban X

I'm still loving mine, had almost 3 years on the original 9T before trading sideways / downwards for a Turban X and apart from the harsh suspension, which I'll sort out, it's a ton of fun. I can also report zero bollock pain from my Turban X

I don't get bollock pain either but I'm not 6' 8", more 5' 11".

I do get bollock pain, but that's mainly the wife kicking me in them when I get home to a couple of parcels packed with farkles.

What I do want to do is change the tubed rear wheel for a TC tubeless one.
Why BMW didn't fit tubeless tyred wheels front and back I don't know.

Haha that’s about right

This seat, combined with the Nitron rear suspension unit, is far superior:

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_152304111.jpg
    IMG_20180421_152304111.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 577
I had a lot of bikes in my life but I love my 2016 R Nine T.I'm 6"3 and find it comfortable.Put Ohlins fork/shock,forged tubeless wheels,Hepco-Becker Journey bags,Wunderlich fairing and Akrapovic pipe on it.O.K a GS is still more practical with centerstand and big top loading aluminum bags but nothing is as much fun on twisty back roads as the powerful for it's weight R Nine T :thumby:
One of the best and most special bikes ever made.One day it will be a cult classic like a R90S,CBX,850 LeMans,916...
Only gripe the stock heavy and tubed spoke rims that have to be replaced and the suspension if you want to go fast on bumpy backroads.A centerstand and factory hard bags would have been nice,too !
Except for the centerstand those issues can be addressed...

Let us know how it’s goes

Fitted the Sargent seat on Saturday and rode 150 miles to the Green Welly, at Tyndrum, non-stop and then another 70 miles to Irvine. Nice and comfortable and I wouldn't have been able to do that distance comfortably on the original seat. The rear suspension is still a bit harsh for my 80kg weight. How much would a Nitron unit cost me I wonder?

You’d have thought for the price, and let’s face it, this really isn’t a cheap bike for what you get, they’d fit some decent suspension.

I’m still undecided on an Urban, but am aware that I’d need to spend some money on suspension/ new seat/ bar risers/ footpeg lowering before it would be right for me. So after all that, it’ll be knocking on for £13k (before discount), and I’m really not sure if I can justify that much for what it is.

It’s the one bike in the back of my mind I’m still really tempted by though.

Fitted the Sargent seat on Saturday and rode 150 miles to the Green Welly, at Tyndrum, non-stop and then another 70 miles to Irvine. Nice and comfortable and I wouldn't have been able to do that distance comfortably on the original seat. The rear suspension is still a bit harsh for my 80kg weight. How much would a Nitron unit cost me I wonder?

Seat sounds promising thanks for letting me know, I will be calling revs today to price up suspension upgrade.

You’d have thought for the price, and let’s face it, this really isn’t a cheap bike for what you get, they’d fit some decent suspension.

I’m still undecided on an Urban, but am aware that I’d need to spend some money on suspension/ new seat/ bar risers/ footpeg lowering before it would be right for me. So after all that, it’ll be knocking on for £13k (before discount), and I’m really not sure if I can justify that much for what it is.

It’s the one bike in the back of my mind I’m still really tempted by though.

And my wheels aren't tubeless either, unfortunately!

Seat sounds promising thanks for letting me know, I will be calling revs today to price up suspension upgrade.

Please keep me informed with your suspension mods.

Seat on the Turban is fine, I've rattled off a few hundred miles in a day without any problems, original 9T seat was a pain though. Turban suspension is OK, but the rear shock is a little harsh so I'm going to have a look at options for the rear shock, the TKC 80's on mine are more of a liability on the road than the suspension, for me, the front end is fine. I did fit + 20mm risers, but bought Chinese and at £16 delivered, I can't fault them at all, I also used the SWMotech footrest kit to drop to the 15mm lower position, but that was only £90 from Germany. I reused my GSA LC Handguards on the Turban after fitting Advance Guards to the GSA so all in, my mods have come in so far at less than £120 and the bike is an absolute hoot.

I'm going to investigate a rear shock though, and probably switch tyres to something like TKC 70's for a bit more road bias.

Back
Top Bottom