noisy engine

glenn.1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
i have a 2013 LC that I've had for about 2 i/2 years since i got it I've never liked the noise the engine makes... a tappety clicking ... the warmer it gets the worse it gets.... at 40mph its really loud masking the exhaust note... i think the shape of the bodywork and screen somehow chanel and amplify the sound onto the rider... making ear plugs almost compulsory ... Main dealer response to my complaints were 'Thats normal' ... loads of threads about this on here...
Anyway the question is... if i trade mine in, how newer do i have to go to get one without these problems... i seem to remember something about BMW modifying various bits in the engine a few years back to rectify this non existent problem!! Love the bike but cannot live with the industrial revolution going on between my legs on each ride.... i had the 1200 non LC before this and it was whisper quiet... certainly not like this one...
cheers in advance Glenn

The 2017 EU-4 one ones are definitely mechanically quieter even if gear 1-2-3 still don't shift as smooth and quiet as they should especially when the oil is hot or you shift at higher rpms...But I would not worry about the noise because the engines are reliable and really have no common flaws except for sounding like a /5....:D

I would say my 2018 isn’t really any quieter than my 2013 and 2015 - so I suggest that you wait until at least 2050 :)

My non LC 2005 and 2010 were certainly not ‘whisper quiet’ either especially when hot.

My advice....

Go back to a whisper quiet non LC, such as an S1000XR or KTM 1290. :D

A GS will never be a quiet bike.:rob

Unfortunately 'they all do that sir' does apply.
Buy good quality earplugs and ignore if you can.

Booked in

After doing nearly 2000 miles in the last 10 days, I couldn’t believe how noisy the engine has become ... rattling like a bag off bolts.... that bad I called into a dealership in La Rochelle, they didn’t like it either and suggested maybe not riding it ... sod that I thought ... carried on and got it home..it’s now booked in next Friday, Chester, after they listened and said mmmm it is noisy.

Bike has only done 5000 miles and this is my 4th GSA but first LC ... not impressed.

After doing nearly 2000 miles in the last 10 days, I couldn’t believe how noisy the engine has become ... rattling like a bag off bolts.... that bad I called into a dealership in La Rochelle, they didn’t like it either and suggested maybe not riding it ... sod that I thought ... carried on and got it home..it’s now booked in next Friday, Chester, after they listened and said mmmm it is noisy.

Bike has only done 5000 miles and this is my 4th GSA but first LC ... not impressed.

Do you wear earplugs?

i have a 2013 LC that I've had for about 2 i/2 years since i got it I've never liked the noise the engine makes... a tappety clicking ... the warmer it gets the worse it gets.... at 40mph its really loud masking the exhaust note... i think the shape of the bodywork and screen somehow chanel and amplify the sound onto the rider... making ear plugs almost compulsory ... Main dealer response to my complaints were 'Thats normal' ... loads of threads about this on here...
Anyway the question is... if i trade mine in, how newer do i have to go to get one without these problems... i seem to remember something about BMW modifying various bits in the engine a few years back to rectify this non existent problem!! Love the bike but cannot live with the industrial revolution going on between my legs on each ride.... i had the 1200 non LC before this and it was whisper quiet... certainly not like this one...
cheers in advance Glenn

Yes there are so you thought you would make another one....lol :blast

2017 GS Rallye , 3000miles, currently in dealership for new exhaust and inlet cams. to be fair they picked up at service that they thought there was a bit too much noise from the heads. they have seen a few in for this

My 2016 r1200rs sounds really rough and has the exact clicking noise that you describe. I’m told it’s normal but the 09 gsa sounds better!

My 2016 r1200rs sounds really rough and has the exact clicking noise that you describe. I’m told it’s normal but the 09 gsa sounds better!

Ask your dealer to pop the rocker covers off and inspect the cams, it’s a 5 minute job for them

Mine’s 2016 and out of warranty but they picked this up at the service and asked BMW for approval by their own initiative :thumb2

24K service

Just picked my 15 plate GSA up after the 24K service, different bike, engine seems smoother and quieter. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom